• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hamlet translation help

firestarterut

Hey does anyone know where (if there is one) I can find a translated simple version of Hamlet and its not that I can't stand inversion but Shakespeare is something else. I've been reading it and it seems interesting but most of the time I find myself asking what the hell is he saying. If you don't know what I mean... For example, instead of saying "I hit him." he says "Him I hit." and so on. So yeah. Does anyone if I can find a simpler version of Hamlet whether it be online or in a library. Thanks.

I think what you're looking for is a modern English translation. Unfortunately, I don't think one exists. Sparknotes is my only suggestion for plot summary, after you read a scene, go look it up and compare.

There is a retelling of the story in Charles and Mary Lamb's "Tales from Shakespeare". You can get it online from several sources.

I would suggest getting an annotated version of the play.

Translated into what? Modern English? Then it ceases to be Shakespeare, and there is no point in studying it as Shakespeare. If you want the low-down on the stories then Sparknotes or equivalent will do that for you, or any good English history book for the history plays - up to a point, since Shakespeare wasn't too bothered about strict chronology! But if you want the poetry, then you'll just have to work at it and read the originals.

Rather than looking for a "Modern English" translation (though, Shakespeare technically is modern English, just "early modern english"), you should try listening to an audio reading instead.

Part of the trouble of reading Shakespeare is that it was meant to be performed. When I was in early college, I discovered that following along in the text of Shakespearean plays while I listened to a performance on audio increased my comprehension 100%.

I could probably quote the entire play forward and backward and translate each piece. However, the eloquence of Shakespeare would be lost. Yes, it is difficult reading at times, but his prose is what makes his plays truly paramount pieces of literature.

I had a classmate who had the same problem. So, he and I acted out each scene as one character or the other. He really appreciated the plays much more when taken in the context in which they were originally written instead of trying to read them as a novel.

I agree with Violanthe that audiobooks may make them simpler to understand. I find this not to be the case for me, but I tend to tune out anything audible after a while.

Won't you try searching for: Shakespeare made easy+Hamlet at Amazon.com. I had found some "easy" versions of Hamlets at my local libraray. The Shakespeare made easy books have the original 'eloquent' verses on the left side and the modern english lingo on the right side of the book. The exact isbn is:
ISBN-10: 0812036387
ISBN-13: 978-0812036381

I would recommend reading both sides, so that you don't lose or miss out on the famous lines of Shakespeare.

Back