• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hamlet

The Kenneth Branagh version is definitely my favorite. I'm a big Shakespeare fan, but Hamlet was never one of my favorite plays. This film changed my opinion. The acting was superb, directing right on the mark and cinematography gorgeous. Branagh is at his best when bringing the Bard to life. I don't think I quite understood the material before. The film haunted me for weeks after seeing it.

I saw a little piece of the one with Mel Gibson, but I didn't really like what I saw there... so I didn't finish it.

Is the Kenneth Branagh one really good? I always thought Hamlet was a bit too "heavy" for me, but if it's really worth the shot, I'm willing to give it another try.

I always thought Hamlet was a bit too "heavy" for me, but if it's really worth the shot, I'm willing to give it another try.

Same here, lies. The only reason I saw the movie was that the cinematography in the trailer was so beautiful. Once I saw it, it really changed my opinion of the play. It's long, but that's because it doesn't omit much from the original. I'd say give it a shot. Let me know what you think.

I remember seeing a Russian version of Hamlet many years ago on the television, and it had the most dramatic and effective ghost of Hamlet's father I'd ever seen. What I remember are long flowing robes dominating the screen, and the ghost seemed to be a giant. Sorry, I can't remember who the director was.

Derek Jacobi was a terrific Hamlet, in a BBC? production. I only liked parts of Kenneth Branagh's version: thought he was very good as the prince, but some scenes overblown (e.g. in the graveyard, with the earth rocking).

Only other screen version I remember is Olivier's, with great atmosphere, and fine acting, but a little stilted.

The first time I studied Hamlet I was not at all impressed (though I already loved Shakespeare) because of the wordiness of the play - all talk, no action! Further study led me to appriciate it more and realise it as one of Shakespeare's greatest works. My first impression of a whining prince being overly dramatic and 'all talk' stayed with me though, and was perhaps the reason for me liking Branagh's version of the play so much!
Shakespeare created caricatures; passionate, tragic, humerous and with characteristics that any audience could recognise and relate too, but pushed to extreme forms.
With this production I though that Branagh pushed even further, the film came across to me as so much more 'over the top' than the play already is that it seems almost to parody it.
Don't get me wrong, I love both the play and Branagh's film and the torment and tragedy of Hamlet's character come clearly through. But my first impression of it will stay with me!

Deerskin, your initial impression the play was my initial reaction. All that whining. Whine, whine, whine. Get a grip! I wonder if that's what Shakespeare intended his audience to think of the character of Hamlet? I much prefer to think of Hamlet the way Branagh portrayed him. If that's not Shakespeare's intention, well, my apologies to the author.

Have any of you also seen 'Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead' by Tom Stoppard? It takes the two minor characters, which were created only to be killed in Hamlet's place, and centres the story around them while pushing the story of Hamlet to the sidelines. A great parody which raises some interesting issues about the play, and the ways in which characters connect to one another and to the story. The film version is good but a little confusing - the play when seen in it's full form is wonderful!

Originally posted by lies
I always thought Hamlet was a bit too "heavy" for me.
Hi Lies & Dawn,
Slightly OT however if you like Kenneth Brannagh's 'Shakespeare' films and want something a bit lighter then try his version of Much Ado About Nothing. It's funny, full of action and movement, slightly bawdy in places (in a fun sort of way), very accessable and well acted by an excellent cast list. It was the first 'Shakespeare on film' that my kids really enjoyed and let them see that Shakespeare could be fun :D

Dave B

I did see it and enjoyed it. I think it was the first of Brannagh's Shakespeare films that I saw. He does have a way with the Bard.

It was the first 'Shakespeare on film' that my kids really enjoyed and let them see that Shakespeare could be fun

It served a similar purpose for my sister!
I bought this video on a recommendation, last year, and loved it - it really does emphasise the humor in Shakespeare.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is a favorite of mine, though I also like Mel Gibson's and Bragnaugh's. hamlet's proably my favorite of the shakespeare plays.

Originally posted by Dave B
if you like Kenneth Brannagh's 'Shakespeare' films and want something a bit lighter then try his version of Much Ado About Nothing. It's funny, full of action and movement, slightly bawdy in places (in a fun sort of way), very accessable and well acted by an excellent cast list.
I agree, Much Ado About Nothing was a good movie... Sadly enough my mom taped something else over it... I've been looking for a cheap copy of it ever since.

Hamlet and Mel

I actually really enjoyed the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet. I think part of this, however, is because it pulled me into Shakespeare's work. I was in Junior High when that movie came out and had not read any of his work yet...but I watched the movie and was captivated by many elements of the basic tale. It may not be the most perfect version ever created, but since it was a big film during my youth and sparked an interest in Shakespeare...I would say that is my favorite.

I really loved Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet. It was wonderful! If you have not seen it then please do yourself a favour and try! It is unabridged, running at over 4 hours long :)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is a fantastic movie too and one of my all time fav movies!

I like Hamlet, I think it's one of his best plays. I think my fav though is Macbeth. Has anybody made a movie of it?

I was never much of a fan of his comdies. Also, I'm not that great a fan of Romeo and Julite. It's GOOD but I think not one of his better ones and is a bit overrated. The movie version of that with leonardo dicaprio seems good but I have not seen it.

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
I like Hamlet, I think it's one of his best plays. I think my fav though is Macbeth. Has anybody made a movie of it?

I was never much of a fan of his comdies. Also, I'm not that great a fan of Romeo and Julite. It's GOOD but I think not one of his better ones and is a bit overrated. The movie version of that with leonardo dicaprio seems good but I have not seen it.

Regards
SillyWabbit
I am a huge fan of Hamlet & Macbeth, as well. I did not enjoy his comedies nearly as well. I know this is not politically correct, but I hated Romeo & Juliet. aarrrggghhh.

I actually prefer Mel Gibson's Hamlet. I think Kenneth Branagh's version was just too much. Too long, too much scenery, too many special effects, too damn MUCH. Of course, I probably would've enjoyed it more if the theater wasn't full of a class of small town high school students who would not shut up. (Hypothetical query: What stupid teacher thought that this would be a good idea?)

As for the comedies, I've enjoyed the ones I've seen as plays. They don't seem to translate to film well. Probably because so much has to be cut out to make it a 2 hour movie, and the film versions usually lack that bit of farcical spark.

Much Ado about Nothing is quite good. Wrote a paper on it once, though, and it's amazing what was cut out. The character played by Robert Sean Leonard seems quite mercenary in the play, but in the movie just moons around, and isn't nearly as well developed.

Oh, and Romeo and Juliet - Blah. But Shakespeare in Love I enjoyed immensely. Tom Stoppard is a genius.

VTChEwbecca said:
I am a huge fan of Hamlet & Macbeth, as well. I did not enjoy his comedies nearly as well. I know this is not politically correct, but I hated Romeo & Juliet. aarrrggghhh.

I have read MacBeth and Hamlet lots of times! :)

Maybe one day somebody will be brave ( and VERY unpolitically correct ) and make Romeo and Juliet the way it is in the book. IE: Juilet is like 13 years old! It will NEVER happen lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

Back