• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hard SF - Revelation Space Series

ryl417

Hello to all readers!

I haven't posted much ever since joining this forum but I've recently picked up Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space and am highly recommending this read!

I took a long break from SF for quite awhile - was starting to feel like a grind but the archaeological dig opening scene is pretty gritty and that put me back in place.

I'm far from completing this book but I reckon it won't be long so if you're into hard sf/ space opera novels and such, definitely go check it out!.

I read the whole series and really enjoyed it. I think the almost gothic-like nature of the different groups helped. Some of the hard sci-fi elements are very, very hard. But we are talking about someone that, at the time he wrote this series, a working scientist with a branch of the European Space Agency.

I have heard complaints about the lack of character depth, but I wasn't as well read even just a few years ago. I started almost ten years ago with this first book was just released. But I feel his world building and how he described much of what was around is just amazing. I think he imagination really is something to marvel at.

I don't read much sci-fi anymore, if at all, but I really liked the three loosely based trilogy novels and one stand-alone novel of this series.

I read Revelation Space a year (or so) ago and found it to be especially hard sci-fi but very rewarding once you persevere with it. I aim to read some more of his books in the near future, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I feel you really get your money's worth with Reynolds.

Have you read any Iain M Banks? I find his books even more enjoyable - especially the Culture novels.

Back