• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hardback or softback books? Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Hardback

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Softback

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Books?...I don't read them.....is this a book forum???

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get almost all my fiction in paperback and almost all my non-fiction in hardcover.

I find it difficult to "curl up" with a hardcover book. It's too hard to hold a hardcover book with one hand - depending on how you are sitting.

I rarely lay down or "curl up" with non-fiction, so hardcover is perfectly suitable.

clueless said:
You don't have to keep them unless you want to sell the book to a collector later on. I just throw them away.

Yes, but sometimes I'm forced to get hardbacks from the library, and they're taped to the book, but often still manage to slip about or otherwise mangle up somehow. Welcome to my petty little world...

With library books, I just put the dust cover away until I had to return the book. Sometimes I took me a while to find it, though. If is taped, maybe you could put more selotape.

clueless said:
With library books, I just put the dust cover away until I had to return the book. Sometimes I took me a while to find it, though. If is taped, maybe you could put more selotape.

Ah, yes. But my library puts a kind of plastic thing around the dust jacket, and it just makes it awkward - they sort of buckle outwards. They put them on paperbacks as well, and that's really annoying.

CDA said:
Ah, yes. But my library puts a kind of plastic thing around the dust jacket, and it just makes it awkward - they sort of buckle outwards. They put them on paperbacks as well, and that's really annoying.

I'd forgotten that. Horrible things and nothing you can do about them.

A cover on a paperback-I'd had forgotten about those. :D Always thought that made little to no sense at all.

I dislike the small typical paperbacks, and with the way prices have gone up on them, its almost (I did say almost) the same price to find one on sale at Amazon or Powells. I do like the larger paperbacks. Is that considered a 'trade' paperback?

One nice thing, we have a good 2nd hand book store fairly near, and they sell hardbacks for $ 1.75. I keep on scanning those shelves, and have been quite satisfied with being able to buy hardbacks to replace older paperbacks I already have.

As far as the dustcover issue I love them. The art work is usually nice, and tells a story of its own. I usually remove it and use a marker though. NEVER throw it away! 'course those that know me, Know I Never Throw Anything Away! :)

clueless said:
I'd forgotten that. Horrible things and nothing you can do about them.

Cut the tape holding the dust jacket and said plastic cover off taping it back on before you return the book. I had to do this recently because there was a sticky film on the plastic cover that would not be wiped away.

Oh I just love hard cover books. Given a choice, it will alway be hard cover. I love the larger print. I love sliding the fact that hard cover books stay where I want them when I slide them under my keyboard at work when I'm eating lunch. I really love the Cussler hard cover books because they always have a picture of a great car on the back.

Got to have hard cover books. Oh yeah, and they look better in the bookcase as well. ;)

soft

soft backs definately!
Hard back always have those annoying protective covers that constantly slip around and come up when you close the book, and soft are much more comfortable to read with.

Claire x

I prefer softback. They're cheaper than hardbacks. But if theirs a good hardback book out there, I would probably buy it regardless of it being a hardback.

Paperbacks mostly. Being a poor student the fact that they're cheaper means much to me. Also it's about the room. Once again, being the poor student that I am, I live in a one-room apartment with limited room for bookshelves, so if I can save space on buying paperbacks instead of hardbacks that's what I'll do. I can start buying hardbacks by the time I have a bigger home and more money to spare.

Though I guess I'll keep buying paperbacks, mainly - as someone else said - because I can get 2 for the price of 1 hardback. So hardbacks are only for those books I really value. I do have a few paperbacks that are so worn by now that by the time they fall apart completely and I have to buy a new volume it'll have to be a hardback.

i used to always prefer hardback over softcover, especally when i'd buy them. now in a way i like that.. worn look.. softback is easier to carry around. some hardcovers are easier to hold though.. now i guess i dont have a preference

i might've answered this before, but my opinion still stands. i was thinking about that today actually. i love softcovers lately since they're just more comfortable to hold and carry around school. hardcovers are generally bulkier and a pain to hold especally in the beginning/end since one end is heavier

I agree, not only for that reason but i like how they look better than hardbacks, the compactness and how they look lined up on the shelf, i hate it when there are hardbacks beside paperbacks, it looks so uneven.

I go paperback most of the time simply because if I fall asleep reading it in bed it hurts less when it hits me in the face.

CDA said:
From a second-hand independent shop. A small one. With piles of books on the floor. And a dog or cat wandering about.

A description of one of my favorite places on earth. Makes me a little teary just thinking about it because it's five hours away. Must drive North soon.

I go with paperbacks...I like to be able to stick a book in my purse to take with me places. Paperbacks fit just so much easier than a hardback:) I just hate how big and bulky hardbacks are and they usually are more expensive.

Back