• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hardcore anyone?

Of course not.

But give examples. Are we talkin' Cannibal Corpse? Morbid Angel? Cradle of Filth? Bile?

I believe the term hardcore is most often used to refer to a techno style rather than just "hard" music in general.

I like electronic music but I'm not very fond of techno or hardcore. I prefer to have less emphasis on beats.

Libra6Poe said:
But give examples. Are we talkin' Cannibal Corpse? Morbid Angel? Cradle of Filth? Bile?
Those aren't hardcore, I'm afraid. (Well, I don't know Bile, so maybe that one is.) ;)

You're far from the only fan - myspace.com seems to positively teem with hardcore (punk) fans. Hell, someone linked me to a video of a guy performing a horrid emo thing on American Idol.

Anyhoo, I'm not a big fan of hardcore, but I like a few things here and there, though I tend to lean towards the grind oriented bands. Discordance Axis' last album might well be my favorite, though I'm a sucker for those first couple of Carcass albums as well. I guess this is natural as I'm more of a metaldork than a punkfellow. (even if at heart I'm a jazzsnob ;) )
Of the more straight hardcore stuff, Tragedy's debut is good when they're not too melodic. I haven't heard their second album, which everyone tells me is stronger.
Oh, and Bad Brains, obv. Best ever.

Tend to -hate- the toughguy rubbish, but Bulldoze's "Beatdown" is a sort of inside joke with me and a few friends. The breakdown in the middle is the funniest damn thing ever!

All things considered, I found hardcore a lot more fun ten years ago than I do nowadays, but so it goes. I'm old and creaky now, so that's probably got something to do with it.

Incidentally, American hardcore audiences are HILARIOUS! When I visited the US last year, I went to see Cryptopsy at Don Hill's in New York, with the dreadful God Forbid opening. A couple of riffs in, and the kids broke out the TAE BO! Kung Fu dancing all over the place rubbish made for some great laughs. Us frosty Norwegians tend to limit our concert movements to, y'know, occasionally taking another sip of our overpriced beer, so this was quite a change from what I'm used to.

I've never been good with genres and everything, but that's the first time I've ever heard Cryptopsy be classified as a hardcore band?

Oyabun, could you give us some names of good hardcore bands?

lies said:
that's the first time I've ever heard Cryptopsy be classified as a hardcore band?
Ah, no, it wasn't my intention to classify Cryptopsy as hardcore. It was a tangent, as I've always heard from Americans how audiences at metalcore shows are full of these kungfu twerps, and at that gig I finally got to see them. A joyful experience in many ways.

Here are some of my favorites.

1. The Chariot
2. Lamb of God (though they’re more metal than Hardcore)
3. Norma Jene

That and a lot of no-name local bands are all I’m listing to now.

It seems the local bands are a lot harder than the mainstream bands

Øystein I’ve seen that dancing too, it has a name but I forgot it. :)

Euro is a lot harder alot of the time. Here in the U.S.A. the FCC has it's finger on the fine button and privet intrest groups will sue anybody for anything.

Thats why I like the local bands, because they haven't been told "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!" yet.

lies said:
Those aren't hardcore, I'm afraid. (Well, I don't know Bile, so maybe that one is.) ;)
I've no idea! I'm horrible at the genre thing myself. :eek: Sometimes, I just go by the scary looking album covers. :p (just kidding).

I would classify Cryptopsy as a death metal band. Their music seems to have a lot of the machine gun double bass drumming that typifies that genre.

Back