• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

lies

Next Wednesday I'll be able to go see The Chamber of Secrets at last. Has anyone else seen it, or is anyone else waiting as eagerly as me?

I just love being able to be a kid again for a couple of hours (come to think of it... I'm still a kid); makes me be "happy" about the world for a change.

I just hope I can enjoy it as much as I enjoyed The Philosopher's Stone. (back then I hadn't read the books yet)

We're planning on seeing it soon, but not the first weekend. People has been reserving tickets for weeks now. I thought we'd wait at least until next weekend. For the first movie we went to a 10pm show, got there an hour earlier to stand in line...but there was no line. We may try that againt this time around.

My 10 year-old has been rereading Chamber to prepare. This has got to be his fourth time!

Well, I finally saw the movie. It's funny how adults can get so excited over something like this... When the lights went out, you could practically hear the expectations... LOL

Either way, I liked the movie, though I do think I couldn't enjoy it as much as the first one cause I've read the books now. I thought they cut too many good stuff... :( On the other hand, I disliked Gilderoy Lockhart in the book, but I absolutely loved Kenneth Branagh's character... Weird, isn't it?

BTW-- my sister told me that Richard Harris, the actor who played Albus Dumbledore in the first two Potter movies died recently (25 October). I was really sorry about that, cause I really liked him...

I just listened to the book on tape. I had a long drive, from Texas to Pennsylvania, and I stopped at a Walmart in Louisiana to look for something other than music to listen to.

They only had a few books there and the first two Potters were among them. I hadn't read any yet but I did enjoy the first movie and am anticipating this one.

The book on tape was a joy. I think I will pick up a few of the paperbacks and give them a try. Rowling is a wonderful storyteller and the actor who read Chamber was excellent.

By the way, Dawn, I drove through New Orleans just to see what it was like, I'd never been there. It's a pretty city. Maybe someday my wife and i will spend a short vacation there. Looks like there are plenty of good places to eat.

We LIVE for food here. That and festivals. From January till the beginning of summer there's a party somewhere. Sugar Bowl, Mardi Gras, JazzFest, French Quarter Fest, Gumbo Fest, Crawfish Fest, etc. Once the summer hits it's too hot. If you decide to come down, let me know and I'll give you some restaurant suggestions.

I thought Kenneth Branagh really nailed Lockhart. He was absolutely hilarious. I have read all four of the Harry Potter books and realize that they have omitted certain things but over all I liked the movie. I liked it better than the first, the first movie had to introduce the characters, the whole concept of muggle vs. the magic world, where as the second movie just dove into the action. I think the introductory story like the first of the Harry Potter book/movie works better in the book, it gets kind of slow for a movie. But I think they did a pretty good job with it.
oh, I liked Dobby too, great CGI :cool:

I guess this thread is a tad old... oh well :D

I've bought my ticket in advance & I'm taking my little ones to see it tomorrow (PD Day tomorrow)

I hope it's as good as the first.

I saw it last weekend. It's very good, although darker than the first film. Some of the scenes towards the end are quite scary for young kids (some had to leave at the show I was at).

well, i'm back from HP

yes, it was darker than the first. but it was good!

the theater was full of kids today, none left.. it really does depend on the child, i suppose. if they like 'scary' stuff or not... mine luv it!

HBinjection - was the audiobook you heard read by Stephen Fry? They really are great to listen to - he does a wonderful reading of all the characters.

I thought the film was great too - though obviously not as good as the book! I found that the first film felt a little flat - perhaps, in some ways, too close to the book? - it didn't really seem to work as a film. I also loved Kenneth Branagh as Lockheart, and Lucius Malfoy, IMHO, was played well too.
Did anyone else find Ron's slug attack very ..... realistic?! Yuk!!! :eek: :p :)

Yeah I enjoyed no. 2 than no.1. I know what you mean about snails. Yuk!! Also I refused to watch this and also spiders. I am totally terrifed of spiders!! :lol
The bit I really enjoyed is car flyng.

Yes Deerskin, I'm pretty sure Stephen Fry did read it. I'm not familiar with his acting and I don't have the audio book with me now, but I know he was some Tony award winning actor. Does that sound like your man?

Has he done any other audio books?

As for the movie, I didn't like it very much. It wasn't nearly as good as the first one. It felt a little squeezed.

Part of the problem, too, might have been the volume of the theater. I had just seen The Two Towers a few days before, and it was so loud and the visuals were so intense and full of detail that it almost overwhelmed me. The Potter movie seemed tepid in comparison. Maybe they keep the volume lower for kids.

I guess I'm spoiled. I like my movies played loudly. It makes the experience more immersive.

I did enjoy Chamber of Secrets, but not nearly as much as the first film. Maybe the kids are getting too old. They aren't as cute and charming as they used to be.

HBinjection - I'm not sure what awards he has won but Stephen Fry is a great actor and comedian and also a novelist (though I'm not familier with his writing). He starred in 'Wilde' as Oscar Wilde and appeared in Blackadder (a classic British comedy - I can't get enough of it!) and the BBC version of Gormenghast as well as various other comedy programmes.

I'm pretty sure there is only one audiobook of Harry Potter so I guess it's the same one!

A bit off-topic, I know, but I just have to agree with Deerskin: Stephen Fry is lovely! He's like a constant; I don't know that much about him, but he always appears when I least expect it (like that time I was watching The Young Ones).

Hello Deerskin,

Wrong...:
There is another audioversion of Harry Grotter: An American one, dreadful... 'Hey, man, wanna make a bit of magic potion?'

Morry :eek:

We have the first 3 HP books on audio, all with Stephen Fry reading them. They are brilliant, especially because they are unabridged. You don't miss a sentence. My daughter loves them, and we also use them in the car when we go on a long drive. You just have to make sure you don't drift off into the story though....lol

We have also seen the movie (the video/DVD is due out in April in Australia), and I was disappointed that they didn't show the degnoming at the Weasley's house. I was really looking forward to that part............

I also enjoyed the first movie more than the second. I think that is going to be a problem as we move through them though, because the books are getting bigger, but the time set to put them into a movie stays the same. This will mean that more and more of the actual story will be left out, and this will make the films harder to stay true to the books.

Cheers, Vicky

Morry:
"Wrong...:
There is another audioversion of Harry Grotter: An American one, dreadful... 'Hey, man, wanna make a bit of magic potion?'"

I didn't know about this version untill I came accross it online recently! i tried to download a section but couldn't. Is it really that bad?

edit: "Harry Grotter"???!

Hi Deerskin,
It is quite dreadful indeed... with a significant loss of British 'innocence' in it, and a too 'singing' 'Bush' way of reading.
AS for 'Harry Grotter', there was a mistake indeed it was to be 'Barry Grotter' ;) , poking a bit of fun on what's getting very fashionable...which means nothing about my own appreciation of Harry Potter.

Morry

Barry Grotter, Larry Potter, Tanya Grotter,... It certainly seems like there are more parodies out there than there are volumes.

Back