• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter- is it all it's cracked up to be?

We never liked harry potter for the way it was written we never expected extremely over the top litererary devices. It was an unexpected story that applys to everyone, a school were there are no parents what a utopia that would be.
Harry potter gives you everything it promises a story that wants u to read on and find out what happens and is that not what all authors want (to captivate a reader)

Well I love Harry Potter. I didn't pre-order a copy though because I am flying to America on the Day it comes out. Rowling may not be the best author ever but what counts to her is that she is possibly the richest. She is successful. Will I be able to get the next book on the 16th at an airport bookshop would you people say? I sure hope so.

Personally, I don't like Harry Potter. I find it extremely badly written and lacking any kind of imagination. All she has done is steal lots of ideas from much better books and mix them into her own novel. Basically all her Harry Potter books are typical "English School" story with a bit of magic thrown in. I have tried to read them a few times but just can't make myself get more than a few chapters in. I tried to watch he first movie too, and I had to turn it off due to extreme boredom setting in :D

Wabbit said:
I find it extremely badly written and lacking any kind of imagination.

I don't agree that it's badly written. Sure, she doesn't go in for extended imagery or complex sentence structure, but these books are intended for kids, so can't be too complicated in the way they are written. However, she doesn't patronise kids, and uses words which I'm sure they've never heard before, so extending their vocabulary.

As regards the "lacking in imagination", I completely disagree. JK's books are packed with imaginative touches - all the little things that bring the wizarding world to life such as howlers, the every-flavour beans, the pensieve, Hogwarts itself... There is just so much imagination in these books! If you mean plot-wise, well, there's only meant to be seven plots isn't there, and everything is a variant or combination of these. So yes, here we have the orphan boy, ill-treated by the relatives who are supposed to be caring for him, combined with the "having special powers/being the Chosen One" thing and the British boarding school story (amongst others). I think that everything is derivative of other stories, to a lesser or greater degree.

Anyway, looking forward to July 16th! :)

Well each to their own :) I just can't bring myself to like her. I have tried. An X gf of mine loved Harry Potter and was always trying to get me into it so I have actually had some experience with them and not dismissed them out of hand.

to me they do they they lack imagination. It's just a boarding school with a bit of magic thrown in. Take away the magic you have grange hill or an Enid Blighton story. There are many better books written for children. Look at Narnia! A whole complex world you find by entering into a closet!

But like I said... each to their own! Hope you and all the HP fans out their aren't disappointed on the 16th! :)

I really like that style of writing. Fantasy and mythology are my favorite types. I have a ton of books by authors like David Eddings, Terry Brooks, Flavia Bojur, and Christopher Paolini (although the latter two only have one book out). I love Harry Potter, although it is dragging on a bit. It's kind of deteriorating. I still really like it!

Oh, I love the Harry Potter books. I think everyone should give them a try because they are all go very fast. It's a fantasy series, and does its job very well. Those who complain about the writing style...I would say that the attention is not toward poetry but more toward escapist plotting and adventure. I've read Narnia and cannot see how people can say that Narnia is better than the Harry Potter books. Why don't we see any complain about writing style with Narnia? Characters? [severly stereotypical] Plot? [generic]. Most people just hate it because it's so popular.

Bakku said:
Oh, I love the Harry Potter books. I think everyone should give them a try because they are all go very fast. It's a fantasy series, and does its job very well. Those who complain about the writing style...I would say that the attention is not toward poetry but more toward escapist plotting and adventure. I've read Narnia and cannot see how people can say that Narnia is better than the Harry Potter books. Why don't we see any complain about writing style with Narnia? Characters? [severly stereotypical] Plot? [generic]. Most people just hate it because it's so popular.
I agree entirely plus CS Lewis was a strict christian that tried to impose his views upon young children who hadnt developed an opinion yet.I hope all who read Narnia noticed it was severly racist and it involved extremely far out christian views like aslan being chopped up in a strange sacrificial act.What makes HP better is JK has a good view of the world around her and in her stories leaves messages against things like descrimination unlike Crazy Stupid Lewis.
anyone who hates harry potter probably is an aspiring author who is jealous and is some what an non entity. Get over Yourself and realise that harry potter is a well written peice of literature not on the standards of tolkien and she may have stolen ideas from him but do all authors not get ideas from somewere else.

Dermotjpr said:
I agree entirely plus CS Lewis was a strict christian that tried to impose his views upon young children who hadnt developed an opinion yet.I hope all who read Narnia noticed it was severly racist and it involved extremely far out christian views like aslan being chopped up in a strange sacrificial act.What makes HP better is JK has a good view of the world around her and in her stories leaves messages against things like descrimination unlike Crazy Stupid Lewis.
anyone who hates harry potter probably is an aspiring author who is jealous and is some what an non entity. Get over Yourself and realise that harry potter is a well written peice of literature not on the standards of tolkien and she may have stolen ideas from him but do all authors not get ideas from somewere else.
Haha, well, I don't hate it as much as your do, Dermotjpr, but I never see anybody pointing out the arch-conservatism in those books. They were written by an old, old guy [and most old guys are old-fashioned and old-traditioned], and I don't understand how people can expect kids (or anybody who is not old, at that) to connect with that kind of thinking. Also, Narnia books are told in such a moral-story kind of way that it just gets creepy. While I read, the thought that this book is trying to brainwash kids kept lurking in the background. The characters of the children are exactly how an old christian author might see them as-- the girls are sensitive wonderful beings who most certainly do not belong in battle but instead indoors, and the boys are strong, 'good' and manly. The evil characters do not have these qualities. The thing with books like Narnia and how they are different from books like Harry Potter and other such fantasy is that Narnia is made by older generations trying to model younger generations into their idea of how kids should be, and books like Harry P., etc, remember and revel in childhood and all that implies.
It's about connecting instead of condemning.
I didn't hate the Narnia books, but I really don't see how they are a great and perfect read for kids. And I am truly very sorry if I offended anyone. I can understand your feelings, and feel obliged to slip in the usual disclaimer of how tastes of each person vary.

One thing I like about Rowling is that she includes the good side of things, but also the bad side. Kids still get picked on and there's a good and bad side to everyone. Even characters like Dumbledore have their flaws.

Back