• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter Seventh Book Pre-Sales Speculations and Discussions

Will Harry return to Hogwarts for a 7th year?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Yes, but he will not stay the whole year or he will just visit

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
I just found what I've been looking for about this. It's in the American version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, page 836...talking about Harry's home at 4 Privet Drive...

"But she took you," Dumbledore cut across him. "She may have taken you grudgingly, furiously, unwillingly, bitterly, yet still she took you, and in doing so, she sealed the charm I placed upon you..."

This is where I got the idea of the Fidelius Charm, and in the American version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, pages 55-56...talking to the Dursleys about Harry coming of age...

"The magic I evoked fifteen years ago means that Harry has powerful protection while he can still call this house 'home.' However miserable he has been here, however unwelcome, however badly treated, you have at least, grudgingly, allowed him houseroom. This magic will cease to operate the moment that Harry turns seventeen; in other words, at the moment he becomes a man. I ask only that you allow Harry to return, once more, to this house, before his seventeenth birthday, which will ensure that the protection continues until that time."-Dumbledore

I thought first of the Fidelius Charm, and offered it as a suggestion. I believe that it may have been a charm much like the Fidelius Charm that kept him safe and hidden while he was still young, but in these passages, Dumbledore clearly explains that some sort of charm was placed on the Dursley's home. It may be a new spell we've never seen before. This, however, is just speculation on my part.

never_know said:
I have no idea who R.A.B. could be but why would Regulus A. Black destroy
Voldemort’s Horcrux??? I mean if he was one of Voldemort's followers, he knew what would happen to him if he disagreed with his ideas/plans... so I believe R.A.B is a new character and Harry will figure everything out in the end, like he always does...:rolleyes:
Black said something about Regalus trying to back out at the last minute and being killed by the other Death Eaters, when Harry asked about him. He didn't elaborate, but apparently his brother did not want to be involved with Voldemort anymore.

Further confirmation that RAB is Regulus - Olga earlier mentioned how in the German translation, RAB becomes RAZ to match the translation of Black; also in the Finnish version RAB is altered to RAM to match the Finnish word for 'Black'.

So the conclusion from the translations is that RAB must be Black?Does seem the most plausible explanation.

However, I like the idea that someone might have a nickname and that it is someone we know well. Could it somehow be Snape? I think he has a crucial role to play in helping Harry and maybe this is it. He too was a death eater once and could easily find out Voldermorts secrets, yet has turned against him!

I dunno! I just like Snape and hope he turns out a goody!:)

Vespertilio91 said:
In the second book, Dumbledore says, "I will not have truly left this school as long as there are some loyal to me."

Although this may equally mean his spirit will always be there, I agree that this could become significant in the last book. But.......

I think he is dead. Harry has to face Voldermort alone (ok with the help of his friends), but I don't think Dumbledore is necessary for this (or he would have helped Harry even more than he did) and therefore he will not be needed in the end. I think it was probably a turning point where Harry had to realise he must face his demons on his own.

....Unless it is all a big conspiracy and at the end everyone is reunited, including Dumbledore and even Voldermort, and it was just a big test for Harry to prove he was the greatest wizard of all! Yeah exactly: bit far fetched and would kinda ruin it! If only she would publish the last book and then we would know!

Humm, this one is quite hard. I do beleive Dumbledore is dead, but there are many hints sugesting he is not. Go to Dumbledore Is Not Dead to build up on my upcoming theory.
The Avada Cadavra curse cannot be stopped by any shield or anything, and it hit dumbledore so this should lead to him being dead. But...
I quote from the fifth book, that dumbledore said: "I will never die as long as the school still believes in me" or something like that. He could have made an unbreakable vow with every member of the school, making sure as long as they beleive, he cannot die.

I will carry on with this subject later, but I have to go for now,

Teadude :)

Hp7 *spoiler*

For those of you who havent heard JK Rowling has admitted that two charcters will be killed off in HP7. Think that at least one death was the assumption. She obviously gave no indication as to who it is. I think that one would have to be either Harry or Voldermort if not both, though I think the latter is unlikely. One has to win other has to lose, or Harry might die defeating Voldermort as I think someone has suggetsed previously.

Sure there will be many of you with opinions as to who it is. Bet the bookies will be taking bets soon too!

She will kill some of the charcters that keeps the story together, like Harry himself or Voldermort, so no one else can use them.
Yep, I know they are copyrighted, but this will protect the characters even more.

At least two characters die in Book 7

Oh my! Listen to this latest Potter news:
----

LONDON (Reuters) - Children's author J.K. Rowling has revealed that at least two characters will die in the seventh and final installment of her bestselling Harry Potter series, but was careful not to say who.

Children and adults are expected to rush and buy the final Harry Potter novel in their tens of millions when it is complete, and if the publication of the sixth book is anything to go by, secrecy surrounding the plot will be tight.

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling, 40, wrote the first Harry Potter adventure when she was an unemployed single mother, but has gone on to become one of the richest authors in history with a personal fortune estimated at more than $1 billion.

The Harry Potter series has sold an estimated 300 million copies worldwide.

JKR said
But I have to say two die that I didn’t intend to die

which doesn't mean Harry or Voldemort, I reckon. It means side-characters like Hermione or Lupin or Hagrid.

And one character got a reprieve.

Well, sadly I don't hold out much hope for Snape surviving; a Weasley will likely die - but I hope it's not Ron or Percy; probably a twin in that case (which is suitably tragic and poignant), or Bill (just married to Fleur who will be widowed at the age of 20) - again very tragic and poignant.

Neville will probably be the one JKR said would be a professor at Hogwarts - succeeding Prof Sprout.

And I think she'll kill Harry - to put an end to it all - or else he'll lose all his powers and become a muggle.

Don't think it will be Ron or Hermonie: aren't those two destined to live happily ever after or something?:)

Guessing you don't think voldermort will die: what do you reckon will happen to him then?

I think it will be Voldemort and Harry. It will be the only way she can end the series with a bang, and keep from having hate mail begging for another book.

IF it isn't them, then I think it will be Hermione or Ginny. Harry obviously likes Ginny and Voldemort may take advantage of that. Or Hermione, because she is so close to Harry, and many people think that they are destined to be with each other. But then again, she may have planned Hermione to die, but changed it and substituted Ginny instead. That would explain the reprieve.

Ron might be Harry's best friend, but killing him off would be expected, and I think JKR wants a suprise ending.

claire29 said:
Don't think it will be Ron or Hermonie: aren't those two destined to live happily ever after or something?:)
No, I think Hermione is more pulled towards Harry than Ron, especially after the Crookshanks/Scabbers incidents in book 3. Ron is too unemotional to understand if Hermione actually likes him; he just thinks that she is his little geek who helps him do his homework.

Harry, however, is closer to Hermione than Ron is. Harry is just too plain dumb to understand it.

Carica, why do you not want Percy to die? He's a total ass. And when did JKR say that a student would succeed a professor at Hogwarts? I never heard that.

There certainly seems to be some foreshadow that Ron will die, and I think he will. I'm not sure who else might die.. my guess is the story will have a lot more than 2 deaths though.

Re a student becoming a teacher at Hogwarts, JKR said in an interview in 1999 -

QU: Anyway, it’s very exciting. We just love Harry Potter. We’re curious ---- well first of all we can’t wait for Books 4, 5, 6 and 7. But after that, we’re curious as to whether Harry is going to have a life after Hogwarts, or if maybe, Harry might be a Hogwarts teacher.

JKR: Well, because all your kids said ‘hello’ so nicely in the background there, I am going to give you information I haven’t given anyone else and I will tell you that one of the characters, one of Harry’s classmates, though it’s not Harry himself, does end up a teacher at Hogwarts. But, it is not, maybe the one you think, hint, hint, hint. Yeah, one of them does end up staying at Hogwarts, but ----

Re who will die - obviously the two she's talking about (who will die) are not the primary figures of Harry or Voldemort - these are deaths that are close to the centre but not periphery characters, since she adds that

Judy: Two much loved ones?

JKR: Well, you know. A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil. They don't target the extras, do they? They go for the main characters, or I do.

That means any of the central characters - Ron, Hermione, Ginny, any of the Weasleys, Lupin, McGonagall, Draco, Snape, Neville, Luna or Tonks. There is serious foreshadowing that Ron will die, yes, and although it would be sad, I would think it fitting that he die. Snape will likely die through some act that reveals his being on the 'good' side all the time - which will redeem him in Harry's eyes (he was already okay in my book, though a thoroughly nasty teacher). JKR has talked about Snape's 'redemption' in Book 7.

Re Harry and Voldemort - I think/hope Harry will die or become a Muggle; as will Voldemort. Mortal life as a muggle is probably his idea of "life worse than death".

Re Percy - "a complete ass". Yes of course, but when haven't any of us been complete asses? I don't lay all the blame for his behaviour and the family break-down on him - Mr and Mrs Weasley and the Twins also have some responsibility. He has taken a wrong path but not a devilishly evil one, just a mistaken one that is partly to do with desperately seeking to bolster his own achievements. I think he has always been deeply insecure in his own worth and how his family regard him. He doesn't deserve to die for that, or even for siding with Umbridge and Fudge and Barty Crouch and Rufus Scrimgeour. I hold the Twins as more reprehensible than Percy in the long run.

More specifically, on the issue of "who dies", and Harry surviving/Voldemort dying, there's a greater issue to be explored - which is, none of these characters is black or white (perhaps with the sad exception of Voldemort) - and no-one "deserves" to die. I don't believe it in real life, and even less so in a book - so deaths in Book 7 (and there will be more than the two extra JKR has told us about) will be accidents and defending other's lives and 'in the line of duty'. The day that Harry can actually pronounce Avada Kedavra and *mean* it, is the day that Voldemort has won and Harry has lost. If Harry ends up killing Voldemort, then the moral base of the books has been undercut. Voldemort's demise (if it happens) has to come from his own evil actions, some result of his own behaviour; or some positive, loving act by Harry. We are told again and again that love is the key - and Harry will have learned nothing and this message have been a waste if he doesn't pick up the 'love' and run with it and deal it out to Voldemort in love, and not hate.

Well, Harry is kinda slow so he might not get the whole 'love' thing. And Dumbledore, who believed so much in love, is trying to kill Voldemort by killing his Horcruxes. But he is doing it out of love, his love of every student that has passed through Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry could follow up on that, using his love of his friends' and hope for their safety. He may have to "mean" his Avada Kedavra curse, but that doesn't mean he can't mean it out of love for everyone else.

I didn't say Percy should die, I was just questioning why you thought the twins would be more preferable over a character that is not nearly as loved such as Percy. And yes, he took a wrong road, but he continues down it further and further until he may not be able to ever find his way back to his family. I find that family is much more important then anything, even your own achievements, which Percy has clearly chosen over his family. He cares more about his career than anything else, and because his family doesn't agree, he has decided to ignore them completely. C'mon! That's just wrong.

I don't think Voldemort will be turned into a muggle for two reasons: 1)Can they even take away their powers?, and 2)Voldemort clearly thinks death is the worst thing he could ever suffer through. Dumbledore says it, and Voldemort even implies it with the Horcruxes, unicorn blood, elixir of life, potion to reclaim his body, etc.... Voldemort once said that "Nothing is worse than death."

Thanks, mehastings for combining threads. I already had the one post here, and then you go and take a totally contradictary post and merge it right next to my other one. ^^ No worries. It looks funny now; makes me seem like a total two minded freak. OH, WELL!

Back