• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has anyone here enrolled on a creative writing course / degree?

pooh_bah

These are growing in popularity in the UK at both undergrad and postgrad level.

I was wondering whether anyone here has done a creative writing course or is doing one at the moment and what they believe the benefits and downsides are.

I’d be grateful for any replies.
Thanks and have a good day. : )

pooh_bah

I took one last year as a Sophmore and will be taking the second course Junior year.

It's a great class to let you flex your muscles and scope out the different realms of your imagination. However, if there are any downsides, I'd say it comes down to what the teacher-in-question views as an importance in writing.

Our teacher had a very strong affinity towards themes in the story, what we as writers were trying to convey, or--you know, the stuff that most literary scholars seem to wank off to--the message inbetween the lines!

However, by loosely following the prompts and doing what I enjoyed I managed to find a friend through him, and he more or less lets me slide when I go off on a written tangent in my writing (as I tend to do--we were supposed to write a story on a simple prompt, two pages was required, not much, and I ended up crapping out 17 pages of blah), since he enjoys my stories, which is nice.

So, the ups? Writing for a class, taking an hour a a day in your work scedule to simply sit back and write, and of course improving yourself as you're doing it.

The downs? If you're teacher seems to havea completely different taste in stories than you do, there may be conflict--not much, but a little--in the beginning of your two's relationship, however, people more or less open up when they're pleased. Aside from that, I don't see many downsides.

If you plan on taking one, go for it, and have fun. It's not some happy Disney Land Ride where every day is a skip and a hop through the meadows, and everyone is holding hands singing (or, in this case, writing), because there are days where it can be quite boring, be it due to the prompt you're forced to write, or because it's a peer-review day. But I guess that's all I have to say. Great class, great times, and something you'll remember.

Hi SevenWritez,

Thanks for your reply.
Good point you raised about being influenced by what your teacher regards as important.
It's true what you said, you want to learn, but some people may find a having a specific approach pushed upon them a hindrance as opposed to a help.

Sounds like you're enjoying it though and finding it beneficial to your work. : )
Good stuff.

Best of luck with that and thanks again for the input.

pooh_bah

Hi wilderness,

Thank you for your reply. Glad you're finding your course beneficial. If it's not too personal, do you mind me asking what you have written / are currently writing?
In what ways did the course help you improve your work?

Best of luck with that. : )

pooh_bah

Might not make sense as it's a cut and paste from another discussion but it lays out my thoughts on the writing classes I did. And, while I didn't particularly like them, I would still consider a postgrad:

Stewart said:
A lot of the people who go to these classes want to write but don't know how to and so they go to learn. There's all these exercises about how to make banal things interesting, or working with phrases to see what comes out, and there's discussion about different elements of writing which are horribly amputated from each other as if they are all separate components: setting, character, dialogue, word choice, beginnings, plotting, editing, etc. Regarding word choice, for example, creative writing classes encourage you not to repeat words so, if your paragraph is about photos, you find that come to the end of it you've used photos, pictures, images, snaps, positives, slides, etc. There's a nice line at the start of James Salter's Light Years that uses the same adjective in a single sentence (The Hudson was vast, vast and unmoving.) which someone else may have written 'The Hudson was vast, huge and unmoving.' in order to not repeat themselves, at the cost of the prose, rhythm, and effect.

I prefer to learn from those that I enjoy. So, as I read my Yates or Ishiguro or Doyle or whoever I'll note the parts that I thought were well done and try to understand why I thought they worked for me and be conscious of these things when I'm writing. Similarly, I know what doesn't work for me and try to spot this in my own writing. I find learning from your own tastes and understanding a much better notion than a class environment.

As for the timelines thing, the class set deadlines to hand in pieces which I found extremely helpful as I had something to work for (the same when I entered the Scotsman & Orange Short Story Award) and found myself busying away at the keyboard. With nothing to work toward, my writing has become a slow burning affair that often goes out and has to be rekindled. So, to that effect, I found it extremely helpful.

And then there's the awful writers who just can't write but you try to be nice to them rather than throw their story back at them.

Hi Stewart,

Thank you for your interesting reply.

Your idea of learning from what you enjoy and being conscious of the elements that make fiction work for *you* is a terrific approach.
Learning dialogue, pace, plotting and so on in a classroom is all very well, but my concern is that being too wrapped up in making a work structurally perfect may detract from its spirit and rhythm. Rules however necessary are not always applicable (in my opinion) and therefore I think writers should allow themselves some flexibility.
I wonder whether many postgrad creative writing programmes in the UK are open to different approaches to fiction and writers who perhaps are a little unconventional?

That said, I think there is a lot to be learned from interacting with other writers and forcing yourself to take note of structural elements that may make your work more readable. I guess the key is to be able to balance what they teach you with the natural tone of your work, your voice, and the creative direction of your fiction. I hear you on the whole ‘set deadline’ point – having time constraints and a bit of pressure can be motivating.

On a more cynical note, some people think that these courses are great ways for cash strapped university departments to make money. Writers may be tempted to go on the courses to raise the profile of their work and for the chance of making contacts – and you can’t really blame them. To be honest I don’t blame the universities either; they are filling a need.

I have reservations about making harsh judgements about which fiction is good and which is bad (I’m not saying you did this, I am just expressing my take on the matter).
To a vast extent I think qualitative distinctions are subjective. Books that don’t impress me sell well and unconventional books that may not strike most people as being of any literary value have become cult hits or bestsellers and changed the course of genres not to mention perceptions of fiction in general.

On a more personal note – you’re in Scotland? I’ve heard that there’s a lot of literary talent up there and that Scottish literary agencies are very keen to nurture home grown talent. If this is true, then that’s a very positive place to be, creatively speaking.

Nice to hear from you and best of luck with your work. : )

pooh_bah

Back