• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have you ever met one of your favourite authors?

Through professional contacts twice removed (it's a long story), I managed to meet Alice Walker. This was a dream come true. She was gracious.

If I could meet an author from the past, I think it would be Mark Twain. When I was little, I wanted to be one of his Angelfish. This was a club of young admirers who corresponded with him and visited him at his mansion.

I would also like to have met Virginia Woolf. She needed a hug.

Space/time continuum

Ell said:
...so good to know someone's keeping an eye on things for us.

Ell, now Stewart's got me worried. Do we actually have a limited amount of space in which to carry on around here? I guess I could go back and trim my posts some more...

Still,
Don't worry. No need to trim your posts. If we need more space, Darren (he IS still around) will deal with it. Stewart's just being Stewart - loveable nitpicking pedant that he is.

Yes, I met Harlan Coben last year at The Age Melbourne Writers Festival. It was so exciting! In less than a month, the festival is starting again, so I will be able to meet MORE of my favourite authors.
Lani

I met Terry Pratchett - OK it was at a book-reading, but we did chat one-to-one afterwards. He had his traditional big black hat and leather coat on. A friend asked him if he wanted any ideas to take Discworld to more places. Terry replied that he has enough ideas of his own to take him writing beyond the grave - hah!

I met Fay Weldon at the Winchester Annual Writers' Conference this summer. I have a friend who asked her over coffee - Fay, I have writers' block after writing 3 chapters. What should I do? Fay replied: My dear, you do not have writers' block you have finished! Have you considered taking up baking? We rolled about at her cutting response - no doubt to a question she is asked at every meeting.

I met my favourite hard-nosed crime writer, Allan Guthrie, who wrote Two-Way Split. He works part time at Waterstones book store on Princess Street, Edinburgh (the next town down from Stewart :cool: ) Al has been really helpful in my writing.

I too, would be overwhelmed to meet Ray Bradbury in 3D.

Geoff

Neil Gaiman

I plan on meeting Neil Gaiman in exactly two months... <whew> just typing that made me hyperventilate :p When I found out he was coming to town I started to freak out and couldn't go to sleep. That's partially why I'm up right now (an upcoming test is another reason).

I did meet Stephen King many years ago at a convention in St. Louis called Arch-con. My brother was waiting in a line to get King's autograph and realized Mr. King would sign multiple copies. This was probably in 1982 or so. Anyway, he sent me to the hotel room to get more books, and on the way back down, who walked into the elevator, but Mr. King. I was so excited. He was way cool to a teenager! I asked him if he missed being a teacher since I was going to school to become one. He said no one asked him that before, but that he really liked his new gig better. He then signed all the books. Boy was my brother surprised!

Good for you, CrabbyPatti, I hope you have sent him a get well card. I haven't met Stephen King but know several who have. It is a shame he is so ill these days.

Geoff

Neil Gaiman

I met Neil Gaiman last night! It was wonderful! He was so funny and witty and incredibly friendly and sweet! <sigh>

Here he is signing my book:
gaiman.jpg

That's great Libra! I hope to meet him someday.

I will be meeting Jeffrey Ford on Saturday. I have only read two of his novels, but enjoyed both.

I've met two of my favourite authors at Waterstones book events: Raymond E. Feist and Lee Child. They both did a 20-30 minute talk and a question and answer session, and then afterwards you'd queue up to get your book(s) signed and have a brief word with the author. I think these are one of the best sorts of author events - much more satisfying than just listening to the author read from their latest book (well you're going to read it yourself aren't you?) and certainly more satisfying than waiting in a queue for hours for your book to be signed and a brief 10 seconds with the author.

I'd like to have met J.R.R. Tolkien - the father of modern fantasy. Not just because of the books he wrote but the whole mythology he created for Middle Earth, and his interest in long dead languages and societies. He'd have been a fascinating guy to meet I'm sure, but unfortunately he died several years before I was born.

Of authors who are alive today I'd probably like to meet Stephen King. Have only read a few of his books, but he's a great, very creative and prolific author, and having read his semi-autobiography, On Writing, he seems like a very interesting guy.

Nakmeister said:
I've met two of my favourite authors at Waterstones book events: Raymond E. Feist and Lee Child. They both did a 20-30 minute talk and a question and answer session, and then afterwards you'd queue up to get your book(s) signed and have a brief word with the author. I think these are one of the best sorts of author events - much more satisfying than just listening to the author read from their latest book (well you're going to read it yourself aren't you?) and certainly more satisfying than waiting in a queue for hours for your book to be signed and a brief 10 seconds with the author.

I haven't met Lee Child, but I am a big fan. I just finished Tripwire.

I met Chuck Palahniuk at a signing in LA a couple monthes ago, he was very personable, and looked amazingly mild mannered compared to the stuff he writes. I went to a Ray Bradbury signing last year, but was afraid to talk much because he has gotten so hard of hearing. I was nervous that it would be akward, because he wouldn't be able to hear me.

I met Amos Oz in May, he was absolutely amazing. He spoke of his family saga A Tale of Love and Darkness in a perfect balance of wit and sorrow. I took notes during the entire lecture and afterwards he signed my book. He seemed quite at ease, confident and relaxed.

There are many writers I'd love to meet, Ian McEwan especially, but we must keep in mind these are not rock stars. The best Danish novelist Peter Høeg (Miss Smillas Sense of Snow) has for over 10 years lived completely secluded. Almost no one has seen or heard from him, and he has refused to speak to the press.

I really respect that.

Bret Easton Ellis went to the same school I did - very small, very private, for the spoiled children of the very rich (I was there on scholarship). He was a nasty little boy then, and based on his books has apparently not changed much.

Back