• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Heartfelt Sympathy!

hay82 said:
WASHINGTON (AP) I know most people would like to blame someone, but I can't see who we should blame.

Doesn't look to me, from the majority of posts here, that most people would like to blame someone. Most would seem to want to crawl back into their shells, swallow all the ridiculous excuses being offered, as in Hay82's post above, and pretend that no one is to blame. As to who to blame, how about starting with those apparently guilty of dereliction of duty as human beings?

Good to see, though, that Congress is asking some pointed questions. Thank God for the best in the USA.

Sun-SSS said:
Most would seem to want to crawl back into their shells, swallow all the ridiculous excuses being offered
I don't see the excuses as being ridiculous, I can see why it would be complicated to warn all those people and don't see that as a statement saying that they didn't try.
Its easy to be wise after the event but the fact is that you don't think a thing like this could happen until after it has happened and then the only thing you can do is prevent it from happening again.

RitalinKid said:
I wrote a nice fat response, and it really hurt to erase it, but regardless, the Wabbit is right. It's an endless argument, an argument over paradigms. I agree with the Wabbit that we should just leave the thread to those wanting to discuss the details and express their sympathy.

I'm sure we will have oppurtunities to discuss our differences some other time, Sun; I know we both have plenty to say. That's why I joined this forum, to listen to international people with international views.

I'm sorry you erased it. Am tempted to challenge Wabbit to a debate on the semantics of semantics, but better not do that. Semantics has to do with meaning, and I don't think Wabbit's heavily into that. An eerily talented wordsmith, actually, but can be a bit loose when dealing with straightforward prose such as prevails on this board. Dismissing something as mere semantics: the last refuge of the literary scoundrel. I'd better put one of those dopey smiley things in here in case he feels insulted. Here it is: :)

Look forward to arguing with you sometime, Ritalin. Have a great New Year. 1:57 on 1st January, here. Someone who read these posts earlier just leaned over my shoulder and asked me who I was calling a fucking idiot now. WHAT IS THIS, A CONSPIRACY TO MISUNDERSTAND ME, OR WHAT?

Sun-SSS said:
WHAT IS THIS, A CONSPIRACY TO MISUNDERSTAND ME, OR WHAT?
You just have a way of saying things that sounds like you are putting people down. Maybe its just in this thread but you sound very angry and I got the same thing as Wabbit when I read that post.
Hope you have a great year Sun-SSS and all the rest of you insane penguin lovers on this board.. May the new year be one of peace and harmony.

hay82 said:
I don't see the excuses as being ridiculous, I can see why it would be complicated to warn all those people and don't see that as a statement saying that they didn't try.
Its easy to be wise after the event but the fact is that you don't think a thing like this could happen until after it has happened and then the only thing you can do is prevent it from happening again.

I can't be sure, but maybe if you considered the questions too, not just the answers, you would see why the excuses are ridiculous. Hearing only one side of an argument can hardly give you a clear understanding.

Didn't have phone numbers or staff—ridiculous.
Did all it was responsible for doing—looks like a lie to me.
Cannot watch tsunamis—immaterial. Someone can, and did, detect the earthquake that was known to inevitably result in tsunami.

Your own "complicated"—of course it was complicated. That's not a good enough reason for doing nothing.

hay82 said:
You just have a way of saying things that sounds like you are putting people down. Maybe its just in this thread but you sound very angry and I got the same thing as Wabbit when I read that post.
Hope you have a great year Sun-SSS and all the rest of you insane penguin lovers on this board.. May the new year be one of peace and harmony.

Oh shit, I forgot to sprinkle it with laughy things again, for the benefit of those who don't understand words very well yet. Person mentioned earlier was laughing, by the way, when she said that.

Sun-SSS said:
I can't be sure, but maybe if you considered the questions too, not just the answers, you would see why the excuses are ridiculous. Hearing only one side of an argument can hardly give you a clear understanding.
Its just so complicated to read the questions too..
Sun-SSS said:
Maybe rediculous but an obstacle none the less..
Sun-SSS said:
Looks like a lie to you.. unless you can tell me its a lie I can't use that statement very much...
Sun-SSS said:
Cannot watch tsunamis—immaterial. Someone can, and did, detect the earthquake that was known to inevitably result in tsunami.
When did they discover it? How is the line of communication that makes this information reach the right people?
Sun-SSS said:
Your own "complicated"—of course it was complicated. That's not a good enough reason for doing nothing.
That was what I wrote...did you read it?

Sun-SSS said:
Oh shit, I forgot to sprinkle it with laughy things again, for the benefit of those who don't understand words very well yet.
Analyse that sentence and see if you can understand why you come off very negative...

hay82 said:
Its just so complicated to read the questions too..

Maybe rediculous but an obstacle none the less..
Looks like a lie to you.. unless you can tell me its a lie I can't use that statement very much...
When did they discover it? How is the line of communication that makes this information reach the right people?

That was what I wrote...did you read it?
Did I read it? yes, I expect so. Little bit drunk right now.
How can I tell you it's a lie? I don't even know as a fact that it was said—only have your word on that, and your word is based on someone elses. It looks like a lie, because it looks like very little or nothing was done.
Obstacles are to be overcome, not used as an excuse for doing nothing. I think the obstacles we are talking about were not insurmountable, yet I see no evidence of any attempt being made to overcome them, only excuses so far, which seem to me to be ridiculous excuses.

Its incredible how this thread has degenerated into a slanging match.If we can't discuss these matters in a civilised way on a forum like this then its hardly surprising that governments cant communicate to help prevent disasters like this happening. 125,000 dead so far and counting and all some of us can do is fall out.

On a different note I am very pleased,even proud to be British at the minute as the money is pouring in for the disaster fund here in the UK at the rate of £1,000,000 every two hours.The world response is in general breathtaking.
Nice to see that the Tsunami disaster has been met with a wave of love and care for those less fortunate.

I am startled to see that one of the richest nations on the planet (Saudi Arabia) has given £5,000,000??!.Ok I know its not a competition but come on Saudi.

Glad to see the thread back on topic!

Yeah, you make a good point. It IS nice to see the wave of water replaced with a wave of love. Maybe there is hope for us after all! :)

gallagher672003 said:
Its incredible how this thread has degenerated into a slanging match.If we can't discuss these matters in a civilised way on a forum like this then its hardly surprising that governments cant communicate to help prevent disasters like this happening. 125,000 dead so far and counting and all some of us can do is fall out.

On a different note I am very pleased,even proud to be British at the minute as the money is pouring in for the disaster fund here in the UK at the rate of £1,000,000 every two hours.The world response is in general breathtaking.
Nice to see that the Tsunami disaster has been met with a wave of love and care for those less fortunate.

I am startled to see that one of the richest nations on the planet (Saudi Arabia) has given £5,000,000??!.Ok I know its not a competition but come on Saudi.
I've started a new thread to take the fight away from this thread. Rough times bring rough discussions.

Human nature does have a really good side, and it's at times like this that we see it the best. Hopefully, this will bring the world community closer together.

That is a shocker about Saudi Arabia. There were a lot of Muslims affected, and currently, the House of Saud is under attack by the religious right in their country.

gallagher672003 said:
Its incredible how this thread has degenerated into a slanging match.
You're right, sorry about that.
gallagher672003 said:
On a different note I am very pleased,even proud to be British at the minute as the money is pouring in for the disaster fund here in the UK at the rate of £1,000,000 every two hours.The world response is in general breathtaking. Nice to see that the Tsunami disaster has been met with a wave of love and care for those less fortunate.
Its amazing to see people comming together to help and the willingly helping where they can. It goes to show that from time to time people can be great..

Sun-SSS said:
Thailand would ignore warnings because to take them seriously would damage its tourist industry? Be serious, please!
WITHOUT PROOF or not coming from a person high enough in a government, it is a safe assumption. a false alarm would put worry into people and that would affect the number of tourists and the government wouldn't take that chance. local businesses that survived the tsunami are already feeling the economic effect. no one wants to go there, not even to areas unaffected.

Sun-SSS said:
Scientists of all countries talk to one another all the time. And scientists in a serious panic hold some sway over their governments.
scientists with proof in their own countries, who would have to get it from scientists in the other countries. that means communication time.

Sun-SSS said:
According to your logic, it seems, not enough to make the effort worth while
that is not the end result of my logic, but i am not surprised you would see it that way.

Sun-SSS said:

your reasoning is beginning to smack of desparation, with dismissals of "ridiculous" and "looks like a lie to me". come on! from all your posts in this thread, Sun-SSS, it looks like you won't even look at the other side of this mess either. you dismiss the communication problems without any reasoning.

it seems like you just need to blame someone. that's basically what it comes down to for you and, to you, everyone else is complacent because they feel nothing could have been done.

*sorry, guys, i was tying all this and didnt notice the other thread :eek:

Jenem said:
it seems like you just need to blame someone. that's basically what it comes down to for you and, to you, everyone else is complacent because they feel nothing could have been done.

*sorry, guys, i was tying all this and didnt notice the other thread :eek:
Do you have a degree in missing the point, or something? Bet you got honours with that.

Back