• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Helen Fielding: Bridget Jones's Diary

Darren

February 2004

Synopsis
A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations? An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family? Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something? Bridget Jones is everyone's favourite Londoner...

This is a funny, funny book. The setup is fabulous - New Years Resolutions plus diary. The only weakness of the format is we only see the most neurotic side of Bridget, so it's sometimes hard to figure out what Colin Firth . . . er, Mark Darcy sees in her.

Evidently the book filled a void in women's fiction, as it spawned the "chick lit" genre.

Did anyone read the tiny followup book the author did for charity? The game "Shag, Marry, or Throw off a cliff" kept my friends busy for weeks.

I think it was Bridget's vulnerability and honesty that made her attractive to us and Mark Darcy. Something that we think of as a weakness ourselves (such as self-depracating humour) is often more attractive than ambition and all out strength. So Bridget's neuroses are positive, normal neuroses that aren't hidden and this allows us to like her.

I also loved the way she detailed her cigarettes, calories etc. I thought that was a really amusing touch.

I haven't read "Shag, Marry, or Throw off a cliff" but it sounds interesting!

To be honest, I liked this book- as long as I regarded it as a satire of modern times. I changed my mind after watching an interview with the author, when I found out that she really likes the heroine...I didn't. In my opinion, she didn't deserve Mr Darcy.

It's funny how we have all formed different opinions of Bridget. I think I must be the only one who likes her. Poor old Bridget :)

I didn't read this one, but i saw the movie& loved it. Did the movie give the book justice, or did they leave out alot?? :confused:

They left a fair bit out, but i think it kept fairly true to the story - i enjoyed the book and the film (am i allowed to say that, being male? ;) ) And i thought it was great to see Hugh Grant behaving badly (which is when he's always at his best)

Phil

I'm not usually a fan of 'chick lit.' (with the exception of Marian Keyes) but really enjoyed this book and the sequel.

I think one of the reasons it was so successful was the fact that most people could relate to her insecurities. Being a smoker, I had to smile in sympathy when reading her daily count of cigarettes.

I guess on a deeper level it is fairly damning of a society in which so much emphasis is put on weight, appearance, success, having a man etc etc., but I have to admit I didn't read it at this level, I enjoyed it for its humour.

As far as the film is concerned, and I only mention this because someone asked the question, I thought that this was one of those rare films which actually did the book justice - I usually hate film adaptations of good books. If you enjoyed the film I would say read the book.
:)

I agree about the film, it did a good job of capturing the spirit without following the plot exactly.

I thought the sequel was a bit of a letdown. An enjoyable read, but not to the same level.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the book(s) and the film. I did find it somewhat disturbing that - mostly in the film - Bridget was portrayed as a slightly ignorant, shallow and uninformed young woman. She doesn't deserve that. And it makes it a little bit hard to understand what Mark Darcy sees in her. :( Except that she is real, loving, honest and all the rest.

But I must say, I enjoyed the book. I was sitting here all alone, laughing my head off. .. :D :D :D

Hobitten

I just ordered a used copy of this book. I hope I like it.

When Ashlea said Colin Firth (Darcy) of Pride and Prejudice what popped into my mind was the way the "proper English" said his name: "Mista Dahcee" :)

--Tim

I agree that the film did the book justice.
One scene which was better on the screen, was the fight between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth. Not the world's greatest fighters.... So hilarious..

What was better in the book, was the diary feel.. Everything is through her eyes.

Loved the book and the film!!

You know, thats how most men really fight!!!

And yes, it was the funniest thing i'd seen in a long time.

Phil

I may say this just bc I didn't enjoy Bridget Jones's Diary at all, but it's nothing compared to Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing.

I loved this book and the book it was based on, Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourites.

The two books have a lot in common, both Helen Fielding and Jane Austen use wit and humour very well and are brilliant at observing social behavior and people's characters.

To be hones, I found it impossible to like Brigdet Jones. She seems to be so illiterate and uneducateg. Having a degree in literature, she is interested only in watching the scene when mr Darcy gets soaked. What is more, she is very malicious to the people she didn't like- and there plenty of them. She is indulgent to her own faults, but ruthless to others'. She regards everything in terms of showing off- even buying Christmas presents or giving parties for her friends. Finally, last but not least she is ready to go to bed with everybody in hand.

When did Mr Darcy get soaked? I can't remember.

I didn't think she was that bad, most people do buy Christmas presents and it was only a small party she gave for her friends.

I don't think she's very mean or malicious or maybe I'm forgetting parts of the book, she knows she has faults and she isn't afraid of admitting that and she does try to better herself rather then dwell on things that have gone wrong.

When you compare this book with Pride and Prejudice the silimarities are quite suprising, I think Bridget is a modern woman and quite normal.

I think that it's suprising that Lizzie, athough not flawless, is much more mature and sensible than Bridget.
Mr Darcy got soaked in the film with Colin Firth, this scene wasn't in the book. He jumps into the lake.
As to present and parties, I meant that she regards it only as way of impressing others.

Back