• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Helen Fielding: Bridget Jones's Diary

Originally posted by Beatrycze
I think that it's suprising that Lizzie, athough not flawless, is much more mature and sensible than Bridget.

Very true but times do change, I can't imagine Lizzie having what I'd call fun, Bridget is very more like the modern women we see today, I can identify better with Bridget then Lizzie, I'm in my 30's and hate to think at this age we should all be settled down, staying in every night reading a book or kniting by the fire, I think Bridget would make a very good friend and would definitely be more fun.

I like Bridget OK but I think she'd get on my nerves. She's not terribly self-aware, and that always bugs me in people.

Now Lizzie, she'd be worth knowing.

Personally, I really enjoyed this book and found it to be much better than the film (the only bad part about having watched the film first is that the images of the characters had already been implanted in my mind). It's a very well written novel that I feel manages to capture the character of Bridget and her paranoid and self-obsessive nature very well indeed. Bridget also reminds me very much of one of my close friends, which meant that I found myself laughing out loud on the tube whilst reading it - especially at the stage when she was dating the younger man and he anounced 'mmm - squidgy!' :D

I am also fortunate enough to know one of Helen Fieldings best friends (who still swears to this day that the character of Tom is based on him), which added an extra depth to the novel and gave it a more realistic view than what I normally take from these types of books (such as the wonderful yet detached 'Does my bum look big in this?' by Arabella Weir).

Has anybody read the second one yet (The edge of reason - I think?), which they are currently making into a film.
I assume it must continue from where the first one left off because I remember hearing somebody state that they want to know how Bridget manages to interview Colin Firth when it is Colin Firth who plays Mr Darcy, and this interview was being set up towards the end of the first book. Would love to hear your thoughts on this and whether it is worth my while picking it up?

Cheers

Mxx

Ashlea said:
Evidently the book filled a void in women's fiction, as it spawned the "chick lit" genre.

Was it really the first chick lit book? I think that genre has been around longer, no?

I haven't read Bridget Jones's Diary (though I did see the movie) because a friend of mine told me she thought the book was incredibly boring. Maybe she was wrong, maybe she wasn't... I don't really feel like finding out after hearing something like this.

How about you give it a try and make up your own mind? ;)

Chick Lit has been out a lot longer then Helen Fielding has been dishing it out, and that includes the article that the book was spawned from - and I guess something like Pride and Prejudice could be classed as Chick lit. To pick one example, how about Genevive Dariaux? She wrote 'A Guide to Elegance (etc)' back in the 60s and that's been going strong ever since. This book also recently inspired 'Elegance' by Kathleen Tressaro (which is available in a lovely blackleaf paged hardback edition).

Does this, therefore, spawn the question of what exactly is 'Chick lit'?
Obviously, the answer would be 'literature written for women, by women'...yes? In which case everything from Jane Austen, to Stella Gibbons, to Helen Fielding would be classed as Chick lit. This genre, it seems, has been with us for a very long time.

Mxx

murphyz said:
How about you give it a try and make up your own mind? ;)

Yeah, I know I should, but I'd much rather read the books people tell me are good first, and then, when I have a bit more time, maybe I'll get back to it. It's a constant fight, you know, deciding which books deserve my attention most. ;)

really? Okay, read Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things and Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory first :D

Mxx

I am actually making the distinction between women's lit, which is what you described, and chick lit, which is hipper and aimed at a younger audience. I guess what makes it distinctive is that the women are urban, have a LOT more sex, and have different goals. Sex and the City would be Chick Lit, the Gibson Girls would be Women's Lit. Make sense?

You could say, why differentiate, but the reason is that the genre has already got a distinctive voice and formulary devices.

I know what you mean by chick lit, but I still don't think Bridget Jones's Diary was the first book in the genre to be published. If you give me some time, I'm sure I could come up with a few chick lits that were published prior to 1996.

Maybe Helen Fielding was the one to take things to another level, though I think maybe the movie had more to do with spreading the word than the book itself.

I'm sure you're right, there probably are a few examples before that, or some that were leading that direction. But, Bridget Jones made it a phenomenon, from a few books to an industry.

Yeah, that's probably true. It's amazing how most bookstores have an entire bookcase packed with books like these nowadays. And whereas some are nice reads, a lot of it is pulp. People wanting to make a quick buck I suspect?

OUCH! Entertainment Weekly reviewed her new book and gave it an F!

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination evidently sucks. V. disappointing.

Yeh I thought it was a bit pants really. Maybe its just because I quite enjoyed the two about Bridget Jones, and I was expecting too much from the book. It didn't live up to my expectations.

It did get a tad better towards the end though...

I am struggling to finish Olivia Joules. HUGE fan of Bridget Jones (both books) and utterly disappointed with the latest. It is almost irritating to read on...

And did anyone spot the mention of a titanium ibook??

Chick lit--what is it?

Maybe this thread is dead, but I'm intrigued by the discussion of what chick lit is and isn't.

For instance, there's the classic theme of romantic love thwarted and then gained. Is that part of chick lit?

I always think of chick lit as "lite" reading, that is, not Jane Austen, not Gone With the Wind (lite but too long), not George Eliot.

And not all chick lit shares the love theme, for instance The Nannie Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada. These seem to be about lifestyle more than anything else.

So maybe chick lit is lite silly writing that focuses on style more than substance? Most of it strives to be funny, I think. Maybe the real requirement of chick lit is a "girls just want to have fun" sensibility?

Anyone want to chime in on this?

BTW, some of these books I like (Bridget, Nanny), some I haven't read (Girl's Guide), and some stink (Devil Wears), but I wouldn't consider any of them great writing. They are the equivalent of a book of Garfield comics, IMO--at best, some fun.

Novella

I think you've definitely captured the essence of chick lit. Style over substance, with a girl power attitude combined with a touch of single girl neurosis. I read probably one a month, but more than that and they start to irritate me. Works the same way with Sex in the City episodes.

I just got red dress ink (www.reddressink.com) to send me a couple free, and then cancelled the membership.

I wonder if the chick lit genre will last long. It feels to me like teenage books for grownups, part of the phenomenon of indefinitely prolonged adolescence.The typical chick lit herione is definitely not an adult in many ways.

There's a parallel in clothing: there used to be grown-up clothing and kids' clothing. Then there was teenager clothing. Then there was teenager clothing for grown ups who didn't want to be differentiated from teenagers. Then there was kiddy clothing for teenagers. Now there is kiddy clothing for grown ups who still don't want to be differentiated from teenagers, who don't want to be grouped with the grown ups and would rather look like little kids.

What does this have to do with chick lit? I think, chick lit is teenage lit for grown ups. Many of the chick lit heroines, who are generally around 30 years old, say stuff like "oh wow" and "awesome" a lot. They also expect a lot from other people, but don't do much themselves. Very teenage (a generalization based on real life, no offense to those hardworking teens with awesome vocabularies).

Is this drivel??

Novella

Hmm, interesting idea, teen lit for grownups. Well, boys have action movies with explosions, I guess girls can have books with designer footwear.

As for here to stay, I think it will stick around as some of the other kinds of books that have a generally female audience are losing readership. I'm thinking the more traditional harlequins, etc. Those are being replaced by mixed genre (romantic thriller, romantic fantasy, etc.) and chick lit. Plus, a lot of girls have grown up on Sweet Valley High books and similar and will graduate to this kind of thing.

Hmm, just realized I am really dating myself with the whole SVH reference. Apparently, young women are now reading things like Gossip Girls, which I'm pretty sure my mother would not have purchased for me, based on the covers.

Back