• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Norway

SusieBlues26

Hey
I am 26, living in Oslo.

I like crime (Agatha Christie, Mary Higgins Clark) and humour (Bridget Jones).

Maybe someone could help me with some authors/books with a modern Agatha Christie-style? I find that some many of the crime-books I've stumbled upon lately are complicated with a lot of "international" details. I am looking for straight forward who-done-it books..

And could anyone direct me towards good personal diaries? Fiction or non-fiction.

As a last plea of help; anyone know any good and funny books? I have just started Allison Pearson's "I dont know how she does it", which I like.

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations

Hey Susie :) Welcome to the Forums!!

If you like crime and humour in the same book, have you tried Elmore Leonard?? His books are fantastically cool (not sure about their distribution in Norway though!)

Phil

Hello!

I don't know about diaries but I know a few good memoirs. Try The Liar's Club by Mary Karr.

As for funny, have you read any David Sedaris?

Welcome to the Boards, Susie! Don't be a stranger.

What kind of 'funny books' are you looking for?

Cheers, Martin :D

"Funny books"

Hey Martin

I like books like Bridget Jones.. But also books by standup comedians (like Bill Cosby, Seinfeld, Ellen).

Any ideas?

Well, I have some ...

First off: the funniest book I've ever read, and the only book that has ever managed to make me laugh out loud (and still does) in Douglas Adams' 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. This is classic. This is a must!

I know of one (British) standup comedian who writes very funny stuff, namely Ben Elton. Give his 'Dead Famous' and 'Popcorn' a chance.

One very funny book I read recently is 'I, Lucifer' by Glen Duncan, which is fiendishly funny.

Hope this helps some!

Funny

Thanks for the ideas..

Actually, my boyfriend is reading me "Hitchiker's guide.." and I love it!

And I have read "Dead famous", loved that one two!
Will see if I might get a hold of "Popcorn" if it's just as great.

"I, Luficer" sounds interesting..

Thanks!

I can't recommend 'I, Lucifer' enough. It is so funny, and so unbelievably clever! You'll love it.

As for Ben Elton, you can also try 'This Other Eden', which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

And as for The Hitchhiker's Guide ... ', well ... it speaks for itself, really. Sheer brilliance! If you like this, by the way, then you'll also like the Dirk Gently books, also written by Douglas Adams: 'Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency' and 'The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul'.

Thanks!!

The only frustrating thing with getting recommendations, is that there are sooo many books and sooo little time to read them...

Originally posted by SusieBlues26

The only frustrating thing with getting recommendations, is that there are sooo many books and sooo little time to read them... [/B]

All book-lovers should have it written in their wills that, when they pop their clogs, several books will be tucked into their coffins beside them. The Pharaohs had the right idea. Can you imagine the frustration of dying half way through reading a good book? :mad:

Third Man Girl

Well, to be honest . . .

The dying-bit will aggrevate me more than the unfinished book-bit.

But hey, that's just me!

Ever the pragmatist Martin :)

Incidentally, i went to see the play of Popcorn when it rolled through my town (it had Jerry Hall in it at the time!), and it was very funny, i loved it :)

Phil

There's a play? Cool!!

Jerry Hall? As in the ex-mrs. Mick Jagger? Who did she play, Scout? Please say she didn't play Scout!?

By the way, I'm looking up 'pragmatic' as I write this. That better not be an insult, Phil! :mad:

Cheers :D

I would never slur your good name Martin ;)

And yes, Jerry Hall as in the ex-Mrs Mick Jagger :) I dont remember what part she played as it was quite a while ago, but i think she was the wife of whoever they were holding hostage (or somesuch! :D)

Phil

Ah, good! That's not Scout (don't know the name of her character, though).

Pheww!!

Hi Susie!

You want funny??? :) Try Robert Rankin! DAMN DAMN FUNNY! More funny than something that is, well, really funny! I have read many of his books and they are all gems :) I just read "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse." Very funny book :) His humor is very crazy and even a bit surreal at times :) Other good books by him: They came and ate us, Sex Drugs and Sausage rolls, The Dance of the Voodoo Handbag and The Greatest Show Off Earth.

Happy Reading :)

Best Regards,
That ol Wabbit

Back