• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Russia!

Sergo said:
No, they really got jammed. I told you we had a jamming station near our home. It was circled with a wooden fence, behind it there were trained dogs on a wire and guards with rifles. Wow, how could we lived so...
Sorry, I didn’t quite understand what you meant by ‘noisy sounds’ in your previous post. You know, trying to block transmissions like this isn’t a healthy sign in a Government; I notice there are some in America who think they should close down Al-Jazira.
Sergo said:
Yep, there must be something here: instead of having to think about his dignity, a person thinks about the situation and other people...
I quite like these kinds of programmes, as you can see what these ‘primitive’ people are saying, and they reveal the same core needs, attitudes and humour.
Sergo said:
(Could be interesting to ask the Japanese about it...)
I’ve often wondered about the Japanese sense of humour. The only real clue as to what it is like are the clips of Japanese game shows they sometimes show on TV here, where people are practically tortured for the amusement of the audience.
Sergo said:
Mostly yes. We had been together to UAE, Spain, Turkey, Czech Rep., Maldives... And she had been alone to Bulgaria, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Italy...
She’s lucky to be in the first generation of ordinary Russians who can travel like that. You need to point that out when she’s not behaving herself!
Sergo said:
BTW, what about you?
France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, Scandinavia, the Baltic’s, most of Eastern Europe (but not Russia), America etc.. I need to travel to other continents more; I have tended to be sucked into Europe most as there is so much diversity so close. Also you can fly to most places in Europe on cheap airlines for £50 or so these days.
Sergo said:
Hm. And I thought Londoners quite friendly...
Compared to Russian shop workers perhaps, sorry but I’ve had the blank cold stare from one too many servers in Ukrainian shops!
Sergo said:
My wife had to tear me away from some gentleman selling paintings, who told me how he loved Russia back in the 70es when he had been there...
A guy I used to work with toured round Eastern Europe (the old Czechoslovakia I think) with some actors during the 70s. He said they had a fantastic time and the people were wonderful but everywhere they went their bus was followed by the Secret Services. Apparently they tried really hard to wave them over whenever they stopped at an Inn for food and drinks but they were too professional to join them, which seems a shame.
Sergo said:
We have discussed some political aspects and were about to start talking about contemporary literature, when the wife turned berserk...
Perhaps a case of your intellectual curiosity and interest in other cultures cutting into your wife’s valuable shopping time? I hope she enjoyed her holiday too by the way, send her my best regards.
Sergo said:
Really, our contract with Lloyds expired day before yesterday. They wouldn't renew it, as there were more losses last year then were needed for them to feel good.
Trust me to recommend a company you’ve already used, well at least I was in the right area.
Sergo said:
So it would be great to find an insurance company ready to think about procedures to be taken on our Finnish warehouse, where most of our losses take place...
Well then surely a Finnish company is the most obvious place to look first.
Sergo said:
Yes, sure we are mad. Because of this some people try to cross our roads every day. Some even try to cross our Outer Circling Road - ten or twelve lanes and heavy traffic 24 hour a day... And a metal barrier more than meter high in the middle of the road... Not all of them are killed...
This is the Darwin awards in action. You’ve just found an excellent way to remove stupid people from your gene pool, well done!
Sergo said:
OK, that explains it...
Yup. Did you every see ‘Turkish Gambit’ at the cinema by the way? That was based on another of his books, I wondered if the film was any good.

Just finished reading yours and have to use rude force on myself to stand up, close my Satellite ang go home.
Hope that tomorrow I'll have time to answer early...

Really, I think that it is lack of time that holds me here in place: otherwise I would have already gotten in some quarrel, got banned & thrown out...
:D

Sergo said:
Really, I think that it is lack of time that holds me here in place: otherwise I would have already gotten in some quarrel, got banned & thrown out...
It's only a matter of time for us both...

Ehhhh... How right you usually are...
I've just returned from SPb (with the same unsatisfying result). So in some time I hope to be able to say something here...

chewlianchillz said:
Hello! from Singapore.. :p

anyway, Sergo, what is SPb?

Hi sugar. I've always wanted to come to Singapore, have some customers there...

SPb is StPetersburg, or SanctPetersburg - that's former Leningrad, Petrograd, StPetersburg again... Our former "Northern Capital" - a city so far to the North, they have "white nights" there, when it is not dark at night...
Quite a beautiful city, if you do not care to walk too far from the main streets, or enter back yards...

Sergo said:
Hi sugar. I've always wanted to come to Singapore, have some customers there...

SPb is StPetersburg, or SanctPetersburg - that's former Leningrad, Petrograd, StPetersburg again... Our former "Northern Capital" - a city so far to the North, they have "white nights" there, when it is not dark at night...
Quite a beautiful city, if you do not care to walk too far from the main streets, or enter back yards...

ooh.. I see.. I have not visited your country before.. so far been to Perth last year...

one day shall visit there... and travel around the world!! heee...

You are most welcome, our country is very much different from what you are used to. Too bad it is farther than Perth... But not more than 10 or so hours by plane to Moscow or SPb...

Sergo said:
Just finished reading yours and have to use rude force on myself to stand up, close my Satellite ang go home.
Hope that tomorrow I'll have time to answer early...

Hi Sergo and Kenny

Someone has pointed out to me that we are not supposed to talk about things which does not relate to a book, like religion, politics and I guess culture.
I think that such a shame as I have enjoyed our talks about Russia very much. How do you feel about it?

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
Hi Sergo and Kenny

Someone has pointed out to me that we are not supposed to talk about things which does not relate to a book, like religion, politics and I guess culture.
I think that such a shame as I have enjoyed our talks about Russia very much. How do you feel about it?

Flower
Myself and Sergo just talk; sometimes about books, sometimes about politics, mostly just about life in general. Whilst certain topics may be regarded as 'to be avoided' on the forum as a whole, we seem to be left alone here to get on with it, which is fine by me...

Regards,

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
Myself and Sergo just talk; sometimes about books, sometimes about politics, mostly just about life in general. Whilst certain topics may be regarded as 'to be avoided' on the forum as a whole, we seem to be left alone here to get on with it, which is fine by me...

Regards,

K-S

Yes I also like to talk about life in general and to get to know about another culture etc. I was not contacted by a moderator, it was a kind member who pointed this out to me. Maybe because we got to talk about religion in my thread. I just hope that the moderators distinguish between talking about experiences of culture and religion and to make a thread about one religion being the right religion etc.

Anyway, now that I have joined this thread. Have you ever been to Russia, Kenny?

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
Anyway, now that I have joined this thread. Have you ever been to Russia, Kenny?

Flower
Oddly enough no. I have however been to a number of ex-Soviet countries to practise my, almost non-existant these days, Russian; mainly the Baltics and the Ukraine (were I have friends).

Sergo said:
I get slightly tired of bumping into Big Wild Bears that walk up & down most of our streets, and decided to sit before my Toshiba Satellite and to read what other addicted readers write here. It is great to know that so many people like reading...

Hello, Sergo! I speak for all the addicted readers out there when I say, "Welcome! Being new myself, I am very happy to hear that you have taken an interest in these forums. I assure you that you will very much enjoy your stay here, and we hope to hear more from you!"
:)

Kenny Shovel said:
Oddly enough no. I have however been to a number of ex-Soviet countries to practise my, almost non-existant these days, Russian; mainly the Baltics and the Ukraine (were I have friends).

Oh you speak a little russian! I can only say one thing in Russian, sparsiba..not even sure I spell it correctly.

I have never been but I am planning to go to St. Peterburg now.

Kenny Shovel said:
Sorry, I didn’t quite understand what you meant by ‘noisy sounds’ in your previous post.
Yep, I just forgot the right word for it. That's my memory here...
Kenny Shovel said:
You know, trying to block transmissions like this isn’t a healthy sign in a Government; I notice there are some in America who think they should close down Al-Jazira.
Yep. I am sure that would have being the wrong thing to do. I have not paid much attention to Al-Jazira, but I think they are not declaring anything, or propaganding - just giving information from another angle. One has to have his/her own choice of what to believe. Though, I have quite often met people with very bizarre beliefs: it seems our experiences in life must have been very different so we came to think of things in a very different way...
Kenny Shovel said:
I quite like these kinds of programmes, as you can see what these ‘primitive’ people are saying, and they reveal the same core needs, attitudes and humour. I’ve often wondered about the Japanese sense of humour. The only real clue as to what it is like are the clips of Japanese game shows they sometimes show on TV here, where people are practically tortured for the amusement of the audience.
Wow... You got me scared. And I always liked to believe the Japanese kind and cultured people...
Kenny Shovel said:
She’s lucky to be in the first generation of ordinary Russians who can travel like that. You need to point that out when she’s not behaving herself!
Hey, you know it would mean nothing to her, if I do... It is always like this - parents speaking about the only pair of shoes for three children in the time of their youth, and a contemporary children just saying: "Pfui... You may remind me about a mammoth you had to kill to have lunch when you were young".
Kenny Shovel said:
France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, Scandinavia, the Baltic’s, most of Eastern Europe (but not Russia), America etc.. I need to travel to other continents more; I have tended to be sucked into Europe most as there is so much diversity so close.
Great. We have to go to Europe more often... But our problem is my business and our obsession with our dacha and our new flat which need to be brought in a liveable state...
Kenny Shovel said:
Also you can fly to most places in Europe on cheap airlines for £50 or so these days.
Wow. That's really amazing. To fly to SPb one spends $106 in economy class, and nearly twice that in business class. Just 70 min or so...
Kenny Shovel said:
Compared to Russian shop workers perhaps, sorry but I’ve had the blank cold stare from one too many servers in Ukrainian shops!
It has been the usual way in our Soviet times. Now it's on the brink of extinction here, as everybody recognizes that it's bad for business.
Kenny Shovel said:
A guy I used to work with toured round Eastern Europe (the old Czechoslovakia I think) with some actors during the 70s. He said they had a fantastic time and the people were wonderful but everywhere they went their bus was followed by the Secret Services. Apparently they tried really hard to wave them over whenever they stopped at an Inn for food and drinks but they were too professional to join them, which seems a shame.
Ha. My first trip abroad has been to Bulgaria, 20 years ago or so. We had a KGB man in our group: that was the way of life than, the person was responsible for our conduct abroad and self return home. We all knew it, but nobody was sure about who that was. We have never get to know for sure.
Kenny Shovel said:
Perhaps a case of your intellectual curiosity and interest in other cultures cutting into your wife’s valuable shopping time? I hope she enjoyed her holiday too by the way, send her my best regards.
You know, she had enough of shopping time, I hope: she even got bored with it in the end... She sends you her regards too.
Kenny Shovel said:
Did you every see ‘Turkish Gambit’ at the cinema by the way? That was based on another of his books, I wondered if the film was any good.

No, I hasn't. They say it's quite good.

BTW, I've met in SPb exactly the road situation you've mentioned: when the pedestrians had to cross the road on their green, with cars turning left on their green arrow, crossing the pedestrians' way.

Metaphor said:
Hello, Sergo! I speak for all the addicted readers out there when I say, "Welcome! Being new myself, I am very happy to hear that you have taken an interest in these forums. I assure you that you will very much enjoy your stay here, and we hope to hear more from you!"
:)

Thanks dear Metaphor, that's always good to hear kind words.
You are welcome too!

Kenny Shovel said:
Yeah, post more often you lazy Russian!

Eh, Kenny, you know I would, if I could... I really enjoy it. If not for my work, I would have spoken about everything I think of these days...
And would have already had everybody here absolutely bored with me and my thoughts in a day or two.

Sergo said:
Yep. I am sure that would have being the wrong thing to do. I have not paid much attention to Al-Jazira, but I think they are not declaring anything, or propaganding - just giving information from another angle. One has to have his/her own choice of what to believe.
Yeah, I personally don’t find them any different to something like say Fox news; just from a different viewpoint for a different audience. Incidentally, I believe a high proportion of their staff came from BBC (Arab) World Service when they were initially set up.
Sergo said:
Though, I have quite often met people with very bizarre beliefs: it seems our experiences in life must have been very different so we came to think of things in a very different way...
Sure, but who wants a world where we all agree; although disagreeing to the point of exchange of gun-fire is going a bit far for my taste…
Sergo said:
Wow... You got me scared. And I always liked to believe the Japanese kind and cultured people...
The TV show I meant is this one:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=53821
To quote the site : “Most Extreme Game Show
The world's most extreme game show is Japan's Za Gaman (Endurance), created in 1984 as a prime time series on the Fuji Network. Contestants are forced to endure different types of mental and physical torture, such as standing on their heads with hot coals on their feet, or hanging between swinging cactii above a tank full of snakes. The winners are those who can endure pain the longest.

Endurance was less of a game show and more of a pain show. While the half-naked contestants competed to withstand endure pain, agony, and sometimes Arctic temperatures the show's producers were basking in the glow of appreciation from audiences hooked on agony. It ran until 1992, but it's still the most extreme game show the world has ever seen.”

They used to show clips from this show on TV here to show how crazy Japanese TV was, I’m not so sure we’re all that far away ourselves now.

Sergo said:
Hey, you know it would mean nothing to her, if I do... It is always like this - parents speaking about the only pair of shoes for three children in the time of their youth, and a contemporary children just saying: "Pfui... You may remind me about a mammoth you had to kill to have lunch when you were young".
It’s the same everywhere. I used to get handed down clothes from my older cousins, and mine in turn went to relatives younger than me. That wouldn’t happen now in my family, but for the current generation of kids it’s only a matter of time before they are the ones living in the past. And when that happens I’ll be there to laugh at them, the cocky little bastards!

Sergo said:
Great. We have to go to Europe more often... But our problem is my business and our obsession with our dacha and our new flat which need to be brought in a liveable state...
I think I’ll go further a field in future, Europe is a little too easy.

Sergo said:
Wow. That's really amazing. To fly to SPb one spends $106 in economy class, and nearly twice that in business class. Just 70 min or so...
We have a few of these cut price airlines, and one of them uses my local airport so it is convenient in a number of ways. Although I should say that for those airlines you have a pay if you want a meal etc.
Sergo said:
It has been the usual way in our Soviet times. Now it's on the brink of extinction here, as everybody recognizes that it's bad for business.
Yes, you’re right, that is old Russia. But you can still find the occasional stone face behind the counter who never laugh, and are afraid to smile in case teeth fall out.
Sergo said:
Ha. My first trip abroad has been to Bulgaria, 20 years ago or so. We had a KGB man in our group: that was the way of life than, the person was responsible for our conduct abroad and self return home. We all knew it, but nobody was sure about who that was. We have never get to know for sure.
Spot the KGB agent, sounds like a fun game for all the family.
Sergo said:
You know, she had enough of shopping time, I hope: she even got bored with it in the end...
Wow, bored of shopping in London? I don’t think she was trying hard enough.
Sergo said:
BTW, I've met in SPb exactly the road situation you've mentioned: when the pedestrians had to cross the road on their green, with cars turning left on their green arrow, crossing the pedestrians' way.
Haha! I knew it must exist in Russia too. I bet they have the system in Moscow too, you’re just to busy driving round in you fancy cars to notice what life’s like for the small people any more! Borderline Novi Russkie you are now!

Back