• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hello llyfr gwyntyllau!

Evil Homer

Hey there. Thats Welsh in the heading by the way. I found the site like I do every other one I join. Google, and click the one at the top. Works for me. Look forward to finding out about books I'd otherwise probably never hear off.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find something worth getting into here!

Since your from Wales, I may need some advice from you. I'll be in Newport (outside Cardiff) sometime in the next month or so on business and will need some advice on what's worth doing there. I'm hoping to catch some REAL rugby. I played a little in college, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to how it's played over there. Coincidentally, I happen to be two generations removed from Wales.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I can speak two words of Welsh - unfortunately I can't spell them. :rolleyes: So for your amusement Evil Homer, here they are spelt how they sound (i.e. completely wrongly) - Borra Dah! :eek: Which apparently means Good Morning or something like that? :)

Its spelt Bore Da and it does indeed mean good morning

Im not a big rugby buff myself, im a football man. But it is fantastic over here. Its to us what I guess baseball or American football is to you, seeing as we invented it. You should be able to pick up tickets pretty easily, theres loads of teams in the general area. Osprey, Newport-gwent dragons, Llanelli, take your pick.

Sut mae, Evil Homer. Dwy ddim yn siarad iawn Cymraeg. Dwy'n byw ger Aberhonddu. Cymru- Lloegr yfory!

Anyway, hi, i'm from Wales too. A country of poets- Dylan Thomas, R.S.Thomas, Dafydd ap Gwilym, George Herbert, W.H.Davies- and a few famous/ admired writers; Roald Dahl, Bertrand Russell, T.E.Lawrence, Ken Follett, Bernice Rubens, Kate Roberts (Welsh language novelist)...

Oh, and i love the films of Kenji Mizoguchi. Just done a thread on my favourite books; i also like several from Japan. Enjoy walking the dogs (or vice-versa) here in the beautiful land of Merlin and King Arthur, of mystery and magic.

Kenji said:
Sut mae, Evil Homer. Dwy ddim yn siarad iawn Cymraeg. Dwy'n byw ger Aberhonddu. Cymru- Lloegr yfory!
Welsh looks so unique. I've never heard it, but it looks really interesting.

Yeah, English doesn't stick to pronunciation rules at all. I'm waiting for words like "through" to start looking like "thru". Maybe widespread text messaging will help accelerate the language's evolution.

Its great to listen to as well. Especially someone with a very thick accent. Plus it cant be copied, everyone Ive heard who tries to do a Welsh accent comes off Pakistani. It is a real b*tch to learn though. I live in the damn country and I still have trouble with it.

Sut mae! A chroeso i'r fforwm. :D

Dw i ddim yn siarad llawer o gymraeg ond ron i'n byw yn Abertawe (es i fyfyrwraig yna). Ond rwy'n dod o Loegr!

And I'm done with the Welsh... There's only so much an English girl can do. :p

Back