• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello there, from Korea

Sergo said:
Hi Ashy:

it is great to see that I've already read both books that you are reading and plan to read - it shows that essentially there is very much the same all over our world. Have you read much by Lem?

Hi Sergo,

Yes, we all have much the same. ^^

More over, you know, I like your writing style very much. it's cool! ;)
(I had already read your Member's introduction.)

Frankly speaking, Solaris is my first book of Lem, but I am fascinated with.
It stimulates me to think about the relationship between matter and mind, mind and consciousness.

I love it!
The very first thing that occur in my mind after reading is a desire to reread it. :) (I just finished this book.)

I was also surprised to know that most of Lem's books have great reputations(more than four stars) in amazon.
I should check them too.
Please give me some advice if you have someting to recommend.

ashy said:
Hi Sergo,

Yes, we all have much the same. ^^

More over, you know, I like your writing style very much. it's cool! ;)
(I had already read your Member's introduction.)
= Thanks a lot Ashy, I like that very much.
Thanks for reading my Introduction notes.=
ashy said:
Frankly speaking, Solaris is my first book of Lem, but I am fascinated with.
It stimulates me to think about the relationship between matter and mind, mind and consciousness.
= You may remember from my Introduction our discussion of Solaris film. Have you seen it? =
ashy said:
I was also surprised to know that most of Lem's books have great reputations(more than four stars) in amazon.
I should check them too.
Please give me some advice if you have someting to recommend.

= Errr... I will try, but to do so I have to see a list of his works - you know, it is more than 15 years since I've read Lem... I liked things that had humor about them - I think that a thing no good work could do without. But all in all I remember that I have not liked too much only two or three things of Lem - so that means that all could be recommended... By the way, people like different things sometimes... I remember having liked some satire on bureaucracy, as that had been what troubled me at the moment, but I doubt what I would have liked now about that item, as my attitude toward that vice is much more blunt now, than it had been fifteen years ago... =

ashy said:
Hi everyone! The more I read, the more I want to share with others.
It’s great to join this forum and find so many readers.
I read all sorts of genres, but especially love books well-described character’s mind.
Like, Handmaid’s tale by M. Atwood, Orlando by B. Woolf, Solaris by S. Lem, At the Mts. of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft, Life of Pi by Y. Martel and Girl with pearl earring by T. Chevalier

Nice to be here
ashy

Hi ashy and welcome
Fairly new myself, enjoying it

Only read one M Atwood (Alias Grace) thought it was very good, got 'Life of Pi' on my to read list

Cabrasopa :cool:

Sergo said:
= You may remember from my Introduction our discussion of Solaris film. Have you seen it? =
=

Yes I'd seen Solaris by Andrei Tarkovsky. I like it, so I got to know the novel.
And I also saw Solaris by Steven Soderbergh. I like it too.

After reading the book, I am possessed by the thought to watch movies again. then I watch Solaris by Steven Soderbergh again. I got to hate the movie. It didn't express what the book want to tell. I'm looking for Solaris by Andrei Tarkovsky to watch again.

Sergo said:
= Errr... I will try, but to do so I have to see a list of his works - you know, it is more than 15 years since I've read Lem... I liked things that had humor about them - I think that a thing no good work could do without. But all in all I remember that I have not liked too much only two or three things of Lem - so that means that all could be recommended... By the way, people like different things sometimes... I remember having liked some satire on bureaucracy, as that had been what troubled me at the moment, but I doubt what I would have liked now about that item, as my attitude toward that vice is much more blunt now, than it had been fifteen years ago... =

O.K. don't mind. :)
Maybe there are some satire on bureaucracy in his other book.
Was there any satire on bureaucracy in solaris?
Anyway, that's quite helpful to me.

cabrasopa said:
Hi ashy and welcome
Fairly new myself, enjoying it

Only read one M Atwood (Alias Grace) thought it was very good, got 'Life of Pi' on my to read list

Cabrasopa :cool:

Thanks cabrasopa, another me. ;)

I recommend you to hear the audiobook of 'life of pi".
It realy works to devote yourself owing to freindly Indian accent.

ashy.

ashy said:
...O.K. don't mind. :)
Maybe there are some satire on bureaucracy in his other book.
Was there any satire on bureaucracy in solaris?
Anyway, that's quite helpful to me.

:)

You know, when one is troubled by something - he sees that object everywhere he looks...

You would not believe me, but then I even have carved our president Gorbachev out of a piece of boxwood in a very satirical way in the netsuke technique. Too bad the people who had taken the thing to show it to some prospective customer for other carvings, have sold it to somebody against my will instead and gave me quite a good money for it...

Hahaha :)

Nice job Sergo,
What a versatile person you are!
sorry to hear that and i am pretty anxious to see your masterpiece.

ashy said:
Hahaha :)

Nice job Sergo,
What a versatile person you are!
sorry to hear that and i am pretty anxious to see your masterpiece.

Thanks again!

Alas, I hadn't made any photographs of that thing, as I hadn't expected to sell it. But I can send you a photo of several things that I made just for fun - I still have them, and made a photograph just several month before. I have usually photographed those that I made to sell - but it wouldn't be easy to find them in a ton of our old photos... (Really we lived only on what I got from selling those carvings for several month back in the 1991 or 1992, and I made approximately one - two things a week...).

Sergo said:
Thanks again!

Alas, I hadn't made any photographs of that thing, as I hadn't expected to sell it. But I can send you a photo of several things that I made just for fun - I still have them, and made a photograph just several month before. I have usually photographed those that I made to sell - but it wouldn't be easy to find them in a ton of our old photos... (Really we lived only on what I got from selling those carvings for several month back in the 1991 or 1992, and I made approximately one - two things a week...).

Most impressive Sergo,

No problem to take long time to get a chance to see your works.
It' will be real my pleasure to see them.
My address is ksmkkim@gmail.com

You looks realy good & nice father for your family. :)

ashy said:
Most impressive Sergo,

No problem to take long time to get a chance to see your works.
It' will be real my pleasure to see them.
My address is ksmkkim@gmail.com

You looks realy good & nice father for your family. :)

Thanks, at least I try to be.

I've sent you a photo of most of my netsuke - alas, the quality is not too good, as while trying to make it smaller I seem to damage something...
And I attached two photos out of several GBs that I made last year on the Maldives before the earthquake. I liked it there...

Thanks,

I saw them & I loved them.
What a nice place Malidive it was. I'm sorry to hear the earthquake

And I send some reward photo by me check it out ;)

Thanks, I already have - I was planning for some time to try myself experiments with photographing sky - it seems that you master this technique pretty well. I have never been to Korea - so I would have appreciated if you send me more - what you think the most characteristic...

You know, I've heard that Maldives were not damaged much. It is difficult to imagine, as the islands are very small - mostly not more than just two - three meters above the sea level, but I hope it is true. Our island was less than two km long and about 50 m wide, with all the palms, flying foxes and coral reef animals one could imagine... It was the first time in my travels that I spent on and under water more time than on soil - so much interesting there!

Sergo said:
Thanks, I already have - I was planning for some time to try myself experiments with photographing sky - it seems that you master this technique pretty well. I have never been to Korea - so I would have appreciated if you send me more - what you think the most characteristic...

You know, I've heard that Maldives were not damaged much. It is difficult to imagine, as the islands are very small - mostly not more than just two - three meters above the sea level, but I hope it is true. Our island was less than two km long and about 50 m wide, with all the palms, flying foxes and coral reef animals one could imagine... It was the first time in my travels that I spent on and under water more time than on soil - so much interesting there!

Hi Sergo,

sorry for late reply, I was busy a little.
And I'm afraid that I cannot send more photo because the camera which i used was not mine, just borrowed, though i taken the pictures by myself.

Thanks for your complement but I just try to take as many as i can with lots of exposure number.
And pickup some and delete others.
But I can send photos about Korea by other people of Korean community, if you don't mind. Of cause they are not pro.

Thanks Zero,

It's great to meet another Korean in Forum.
How about Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand ?

Ashy.

ashy said:
Hi Sergo,

sorry for late reply, I was busy a little.
And I'm afraid that I cannot send more photo because the camera which i used was not mine, just borrowed, though i taken the pictures by myself.

Thanks for your complement but I just try to take as many as i can with lots of exposure number.
And pickup some and delete others.
But I can send photos about Korea by other people of Korean community, if you don't mind. Of cause they are not pro.

Hi Ashy:

Never mind, that is frequently the case with me too.

OK, I would have liked it. I can send you some photos of our local Moscow nature. (Of course I am not a pro too :) )

Sergo said:
Hi Ashy:

Never mind, that is frequently the case with me too.

OK, I would have liked it. I can send you some photos of our local Moscow nature. (Of course I am not a pro too :) )

Cool! Moscow is one of places i want to go sightseeing

Ashy.

ashy said:
Cool! Moscow is one of places i want to go sightseeing

Ashy.

Just sent you about 5MBs of photos not of Moscow, but of cities of Sergiev Posad, Pereeslavl' Zalessky and Suzdal. Some from our dacha too.

Back