• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hello

jessica

Hi

Glad to have found an interesting forum. I am 22, in my last semester of undergraduate study. As a history major, I naturally read many nonfiction books, my favorite authors among those being Alison Weir. I also work at a bookstore, so I am constantly reading two or three books at once. Right now I am reading His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and All the Daring of a Soldier by Elizabeth Leonard.

My favorite authors are Sharon Kay Penman, the Bronte sisters, Edward Rutherford, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and (strange as it may seem) Charles Dickens.

Currently, my favorite books are: The Broke Diaries by Angela Nissel (if you are or have been a poor college student you will be laughing out loud at this book, as I was while tending the register at work), The Dark Materials Series by Pullman, and Wicked by Geoffrey Maguire.

Of course, the preceding information is likely to change at any moment. ---Jessica

Alison Weir's latest is now out in paperback in the UK. It's about Mary Queen of Scots and the murder of Lord Darnley. Was she involved in his murder? According to the billboard ads, Weir reopens the files in a gripping historical whodunnit. The fact that I am tempted to buy it, perhaps on account of seeing these ads day in day out at various railway stations, suggests that advertising works! However, the respected Tudor historian John Guy has also just published a well-received biography of Mary. It would perhaps be interesting to compare the two.

Mary Queen of Scots is a fascinating one all around. I'm surprised no one's really done a movie - it would be great drama.

I have Alison Weir's bio of Eleanor of Aquitaine at home, just finished one by Amy Kelly and will be interesting to compare the two. I also really like Antonia Fraser, she makes history seem as interesting as fiction, without compromising too much hard evidence.

Hey Jessica, Welcome to the Forums!! :)

The problem with Mary Queen of Scots is that she gets swamped by the story of Elizabeth - shes generally included in that historical context but rarely gets to shine on her own!

Phil

Errr ... guys?

Jessica joined the Boards in september of 2002.

Still, it's the gesture that counts. ;)

Cheers, Martin :D

Ah well ... we all blame David for something at some point in our lives.

Don't we?

*runs after Phil*

*catches up*

*stops him*

Don't we?

Cheers, Martin :D

For resurrecting this thread for no particular reason!! :D

<Looks at Martin>

<Nods Warily>

<Runs away again>

Phil :p

Back