• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

help.....im lookin for a good suspense/horror book

repairman_jack

im lookin for a good suspense/sci fi/horror type book thats easy to find and thats not by stephen king for gods sake. but other then that does anyone got any good ideas :confused:

You might want to try I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I found it thoroughly entertaining and engrossing.

Here's what Amazon.com has to say about it:

One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night . . .

I've got a combination for you; a sci-fi / suspense novel. I'm talking about 'Only Forward', by young British novelist Michael Marshall Smith.

Here's the blurb:

Call him Stark. If you have to. If you're lucky, you won't call him at all. Because if you do, it means you've got trouble. Big trouble. And the problem is that before Stark is done fixing something, a whole lot of other things usually get broken. Like laws and lives--and anyone who gets in the way. It's that attitude that's earned him his latest assignment: finding a missing VIP named Fell Alkland. The authorities believe Alkland has been kidnapped. Stark doesn't. He hasn't stayed alive this long without learning the basics of survival in a world hurtling straight to hell: Things are always more complicated than they seem. And when a job seems too easy, that's when something really ugly is about to happen. For Fell Alkland is about to become Stark's worst nightmare, a nightmare where anything can happen at any time--where friends can become enemies in a heartbeat and your most secret fear a soul-screaming reality. And the worst of it is that for this nightmare you don't even have to be asleep.

I highly recommend it, it's very enjoyable, and Smith's view of the future is a remarkable one, to say the least. (By the way, his second novel, 'Spares' is almost just as good! Also a must-read.)

Cheers, Martin :D

If you want that sort of book but not Stephen King then try Dean Koontz, who writes great books - try the Christopher Snow series (although i forget what they are called right now :eek: )

yeah i have read alot of dean koontz i read the first snow book (fear nothing) right now im reading conspericies by f. paul wilson after im done with that i plan on reading the other snow book (seize the nite)

Im still waiting for the third Snow book to come out - every time Koontz promises it will be his next novel, and then when the book hits the shelves it is yet another standalone :( Mebbe he'll get round to it soon!

Dont remember the first two that well now, i'll have to read them again before the third one :p

yeah i have read alot of dean koontz i read the first snow book (fear nothing) right now im reading conspericies by f. paul wilson after im done with that i plan on reading the other snow book (seize the nite)

Have you read Velocity by Dean Koontz?? It is a real good suspence.. It is the best I have read by him...

Try some Robert McCammon. I'd say Swan Song is his best work, kind of his Stand, but Mine is a pretty good suspense story.

Though I have yet to read it, I've been told that John Dies at the End is a great book that will have you laughing one minute and afraid of the dark the next. It's on my TBR list.

Intensity is the only Dean Koontz book that I have enjoyed. It's not really a horror but more of a suspense novel.

McCammon's Wolf's Hour is a fantastic read. Boy's Life, too. Agreed on Swan Song as well. McCammon is my favorite author for this genre. Dean Koontz got a little way too out there for me, but Watchers is one the best novels I've ever read. Some of Koontz's recent novels are pretty good so I've heard, but I still balk at reading them sometimes.

Historical fiction is my favorite genre altogether, so McCammon's Speaks the Nightbird is great for me. I plan to read the sequel to STN very soon.

Wolf's hour is my favorite of his and turned me into a werewolf junky. I still need to pick up the sequel to Nightbird. Nightbird wasn't one of my favorites but it wasn't bad and the medical stuff was interesting.

Koontz's Odd series hasn't been bad but I wish he would go back and finish the Snow series.

Back