• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

help in mythology

griff8605

I want to get a book on mythology and have seen a number of them out there but was wondering if someone could tell me what the best, most complete book would be. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is stricktly Greek mythology or if it involves other areas of mythology. I want to read about all the great heros and gods, and I want to read about the different mythological beasts and things like that. I'm afraid that when I get a book it will involve most of the stories I want to read but not include certain ones. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I had been considering Bulfinch's mythology and seeing as how that has been mentioned a couple of times I decided it was the right one and went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for all the help.

While on this topic I have one more thing I would like to inquire about. I also want to read the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid. I am not positive what each of these is about, I only know about what the average person who barely listened in school would know. I would be grateful if someone could just breifly tell me what each is about and which book for each would be the most complete and readable version. I'm not sure but I believe these were originally poems of some form and I should mention I am not the biggest fan of poetry.

StillILearn said:
You may wish to check this one out, griff. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385015836/102-4278685-7251307?v=glance&n=283155

(It really isn't just for kids.)

Recently, when I was picking up mythology books I came across this one and was flipping through it. I got to the story of the flood and Pandora's box and the picture was so familiar. This was one of the first books that I ever read about mythology and had really gotten me interested in it. I had to have been in like 3rd or 4th grade.

Anyway, Bulfinch's Mythology is a good one. I also really like Edith Hamilton's Mythology as well.

griff8605 said:
I would be grateful if someone could just breifly tell me what each is about and which book for each would be the most complete and readable version.

The Illiad - Tells about the final bit of the Trojan War. Achilles is a major character.

The Odyssey - Tells about Odysseus' journey home from the Trojan War and what his wife and son are doing in the meantime.

The Aeneid - Tells about Aeneas' journey after the Trojan War across the Mediterranean, into Africa and eventually to Italy where he incites a war between his Trojans and the native Italians (over a woman).
I'm not sure but I believe these were originally poems of some form and I should mention I am not the biggest fan of poetry.

Well...good luck with that one. Reading novelizations of these stories (if they even exist) would be akin to watching movie versions, entertaining but pointless to some extent. I can, however, tell you that I don't care for poetry either and I enjoy both Homer and Virgil. You just need to give yourself a chance to get into it before giving up. You also need to be sure you have a quiet time to read for at least an hour without disturbances while you are giving yourself this chance.

I suggest getting a good translation of The Illiad and starting from there. Sadly, I can't find my copy anywhere so I can't tell you which I have. I can't find my The Odyssey either (I know they are together) and I don't have a copy of The Aeneid. I'd call your local university and get in touch with the History and English departments. Explain that you are looking to read these stories for enjoyment and want to know if there is a version of each someone there can suggest.

Edith Hamilton's Mythology is good. h77p://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316341517/104-3852066-4830314?v=glance&n=283155

I have the Encyclopedia of Mythology by Arthur Carterel (sp?) and Rachel Storm. I found it very useful; it has Roman, Greek, Celtic, Native American, Middle Eastern, Egyptian, and Asian mythology in it. It's very cool; I think I got it at Border's for a huge discount.

Try Mythology ( Cliff's Notes ) by James Weigel. Yes, Cliff's Notes. It's about as Square One as you can get. And you don't necessarily have to approach this academically, either. Bulfinch's is comprehensive, but dry as hell. Some collections of old Norse and Greek Myths make for very engaging reading. Search 'Greek Myths' or whatever suits you on Amazon.

I would consider reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology.
Hamilton's book is a fairly complete overview of the mythology. She covers both the most famous and more obscure myths, leaving the reader with a fair understanding of the entire area of knowledge. The myths are written in both an entertaining and informative manner.
Hamilton tends to take a somewhat optimistic view of the Greeks and Romans, seeming to view them as the very height of all civilization. She forgives or glosses over many of the darker aspects of the myths. This may have something to do with the fact that this book is often found in junior high and high school libraries.
Nevertheless, she gives a fairly complete picture of mythology. She includes the frequent oddities and irrationalities of the gods as well as their human counterparts. She is also to be congratulated for including a full explanation of which ancient writers gave her the information for certain areas of the book.

Back