• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

help need new crime author

haggis

Hi

I got addicted to Jack Higgins and especially his main character Sean Dillon, after completing all his books I started on Ian Rankin and found myself enjoying his main character John Rebus immensly. I have just bought the last few books Rankin has written and need a new author to read.

I was trying to find some book review sites to help and found this forum. Can anyone rcommend a crime author in the same vain as Rankin?

Thanks
Haggis

Hi, and welcome to The Book Forum.

If you like Jack Higgins, you might like Andy McNab or Chris Ryan. I've read McNab's first fiction novel, and found it to be excellent.

As far as crime, I'm not too sure. I recently watched The Bone Collector, and I'm told it's based on the book(s) by Jeffery Deaver. If the books are anything like the film, they should be very good too.

Darren.

I am partial to Colin Dexter's 'Inspector Morse' novels, and Ruth Rendell's 'Wexford' mysteries. Both of these have been televised.

One of my favorite Fantasy authors, Joel Rosenberg, has a new murder novel out, "Murder in Lamut." I have no idea what its like but there you go. He's a good writer but I've not read it.

If you're game for a female detective - try Elizabeth George for her "Barbara Havers" stories or Sue Grafton for her "Kinsey Milhone" novels.

My personal preference is the Elizabeth George books.

Ben, glad I'm not the only one who didn't like "The Angel of Darkness". Actually, I haven't been able to finish it. I started a couple months ago, but it just hasn't kept me interested. I've started and finished several other books while it gets shuffled to the bottom of the pile!

My favorites are Elizabeth George (Detective Lynley/Sergeant Havers series), Ruth Rendell (Wexford series) and PD James (Dagliesh series).

Originally posted by Ell
Ben, glad I'm not the only one who didn't like "The Angel of Darkness". Actually, I haven't been able to finish it. I started a couple months ago, but it just hasn't kept me interested. I've started and finished several other books while it gets shuffled to the bottom of the pile!

That makes three of us, although I enjoyed The Alienist. It's been a while since I've read AofD, but I do remember the alienist continually abusing a lower class character throughout the book, for nothing more than being an annoyance to him, while that same alienist was overflowing with the sympathy for the killer. Something just didn't seem right about that.

Stuart Woods seems to have some good stuff out. His main characters is a James Bond type of detective.

try Elmore Leonard's stuff. Elmore raises the bar for the genre of crime fiction (he's not a detective/mystery writer).

?

Don't know if this is a crime author, bur I just finished a book by Daniel Hecht, not the best ever, it a medical triller/crime book, but sometimes a little to medical.

Originally posted by Ell
If you're game for a female detective - try Elizabeth George for her "Barbara Havers" stories or Sue Grafton for her "Kinsey Milhone" novels.

My personal preference is the Elizabeth George books.

Isn't EGeorge amazing? Reading her books, it's so hard to believe she's an American, she writes so convincingly of London and all things English. I'm waiting for I, Richard to come out in paperback next month. And I see on http://barnesandnoble.com that there is a new one coming out next month called A Place of Hiding. Can't wait!!

I've tried the Ruth Rendell and PD James books as well, but in my opinion EGeorge is far superior.

I'll have to try the Sue Grafton ones.

I'll have to try the Sue Grafton ones.
The Kinsey Milhone books by Grafton aren't quite as complex as the Elizabeth George ones - but they're good for a quick, entertaining read. The most interesting part of the Kinsey Milhone series is seeing her character fleshed out, book by book.

I thought Elizabeth George was British, too.

I enjoy Keith Ablow. He is a forensic psychiatrist himself and so you feel that you really get inside the criminals' heads. I just finished his newest work, Psychopath, and would highly recommend it.

Another vote for Elizabeth George. Having read two of the more recent Lynley/Havers books first, I have just finished one of the earlier books in the series: "For the Sake of Elena". Of the three I have read this has been my favourite. It seemed to have more to say about the characters of both Lynley and Havers, had the added bonus of a university setting for those, like me, who go for that sort of thing, and amidst all the murder and deception it still had something positive to say about life.

James Ellroy if go for seedy crime. The Black Dahlia was good. He wrote LA Confidential as well, which was made into a great film.

Back