• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help wanted: The English Patient

Sentinel

For a quiz I need your help, people:

What meaning does "English Patient" have in the Story (Book/Film) apart from the obvious (him being a patient of and being english)?
There must be some (hidden/clever/whatever) other implied meaning.

Anyone?

Jan

I can't think of an easy answer to that question, how long is it supposed to be?

A lot of the theme of the book revolves around nationality. His not being English causes him to be arrested at the end, and not get back to the cave in time. After his injury, he adopts a sort of English outlook along with an English persona, I think. That's debatable, though. You can also explore the alternate meaning of "patient" as in having patience.

Ashlea said:
A lot of the theme of the book revolves around nationality. His not being English causes him to be arrested at the end, and not get back to the cave in time.
I've not read the book, but in the film I seem to recall him having a slightly bitter chuckle over the authorities arresting him for not being English and then, after he was burned, it was they who referred to him as the English Patient, rather than him claiming that nationality for himself.

I think it is supposed to be ironic ie - he is so badly disfigured that everyone thinks he is english, however he ended up burnt and lying in hospital precisely because he wasn't english (he was hungarian). when the authorities found out his identity they arrested him, which forced him to run away and steal a plane to rescue his lover in the cave. i think it is a critique on nationality, war etc particularly as the 'english patient' himself hated nationalism and war.

I'm sure the critics will shoot me down with this interpretation though. :)

Thanks so far for all your insight. Me having neither read the book norseen the movie assumed he WAS english.
So maybe if you could elaborate on why one would THINK him to be english (or at least the authorities) that might already be it.

Cheers,
Jan

Read the book AND see the movie. They are both very good.

I suppose they thought him to be English because he spoke English and I think claimed to be English, even tho not being English is what caused him his trouble to being with. That, and becoming obsessed with a married woman.

Back