• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help with technical web type stuff please :)

Meadow337

Former Moderator
Two questions:

Can any one suggest a free and advertisement free (<- this is really important) forum that can be embedded in blogger on it's own page (<- also really important) (And please don't suggest using another blogging platform - I'm not moving it)

Does any one know of a way to embed a PICASA slideshow without the link back to the album? Been searching for ages for a simple working solution. (Please don't suggest using other services :) that isn't a practical option at this point)

If you have any suggestions I'd be most grateful.

Wow, that is technical! You wanted a forum *within* Blogger? Not sure if one exists, though.

As for Picasa slideshows, maybe if you can post the HTML embed code here, and see if I can identify the anchor tag. I'm not a web programmer, and my HTML is rusty, but if it's there then it *could* be a matter of just tweaking the HTML embed code to remove the part that does the linking back into the album. I can't be sure of this since I don't use Picasa, but embed codes are usually pretty simple, and we can ferret out the part easily.

(Presumably. And if the linking code isn't in a javascript that's being referenced elsewhere.)

Wow, that is technical! You wanted a forum *within* Blogger? Not sure if one exists, though.

Ad free is really important because I refuse to allow others to make money off my blog traffic. Yeah I'm funny like that :)

As for Picasa slideshows, maybe if you can post the HTML embed code here, and see if I can identify the anchor tag. I'm not a web programmer, and my HTML is rusty, but if it's there then it *could* be a matter of just tweaking the HTML embed code to remove the part that does the linking back into the album. I can't be sure of this since I don't use Picasa, but embed codes are usually pretty simple, and we can ferret out the part easily.

(Presumably. And if the linking code isn't in a javascript that's being referenced elsewhere.)

Blogger yes you can, your choices are limited to forums that offer an embed code as one of their features namely Nabble, Tal.ki, SparkBB or Vanilla but I was wondering if any one had any experience of them and which was the most hassle free easy to use. Or if there was something else a simple Google search wasn't throwing up.

Re Picasa - tried that - doesn't work :( There are a bunch of complicated work arounds with code that you put in your template but they only work if your slideshow is in the sidebar not in the blog posts itself and honestly fiddling with the template can get messy (been there done that, got that T-shirt!)

There are a bunch of other options but none of them are currently working. Sadly. Picasa is so convenient in so many other ways and I have far too many photos already in Picasa albums and more 2000 blog posts that changing to another platform is ridiculously impractical. If I can't, I can't but I'd like to if possible. A slideshow obviates the tedious process of embedding each image.

I used Nabble on one of mine. Works great, easy to set up. You have to pay to not have ads, but I think you will find that is pretty much anything anymore.

Adverts are an issue for a variety of reasons and I had a look at Nabble. Not sure it grabs me though.

hmm thanks but I know how to do it :) it was just a question I put out there to see if any one had any input.

Well, I can't think of any easier way to do it.

I think you can add an HTML blogger gadget to your blog design and then use a code such as:

<iframe src ="http://richard-falken.com" width="100%" height="300">
<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
</iframe>

Where "src ="http://richard-falken.com"" is a place where you are storing your forum.

This requires you to know how to set the forum up in the first place, although I suppose any common forum platform that meets your criteria shoud suffice.

so I did some more investigating - the advert free forums are not embeddable and the embeddable forums are not advert free. As both of these together are an non-negotiable requirement that's that for that idea.

Anything technological drives me nuts. You have my honest and sincere sympathies, glad it could be resolved.

I would love to see a forum of Luddites though.......:p

Back