• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hey canadians

clueless said:
Could Jenn or any other Canadian answer, please.

What song do people sing on Canada day if their grandparents were not Canadian? Just out of curiosity. Not trying to offend anybody

no offense what so ever. :)
well my great grandparents were not canadian, danish, irish and german. if you are a canadian, regardless of which generation, we all sing o canada.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

any of you who get globe and mail there is a really interesting article by jeffrey simpson about being canadian. i'd post it but it borders on politics and i don't want to go there, but still an interesting look at canadian pride.

Motokid said:
Ok...so what exactly is Canada Day a celebration of...or for?

I've never heard of this holiday being as how I'm not from Canada.....

it's the canadian fourth of july.

Never mind...I googled it...

"On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st.

The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day."

Didn't officially get named Canada Day until 1982.

all the provinces and territories trickled in over the years. nfld was the last to sign up and then recently a new territory of nunavit was established a couple of years ago.

yes you do ahve to bring the beer, and head straight for the kitchen for a good ole kitchen party!

in halifax they call in 'cannabis day' and everyone sits in the commons and smokes all day....

jenngorham said:
i'm not trying to open a political discussion but why do people think canada is so damn cold.

If some Canadians weren't constantly trying to prove how much colder it is there than in the US, and how much shorter the summer season is, well, no one would have a reason to think that it's so much colder.

Shame on those bad Canadians. Shame!

I'll be sure to send you names, numbers, emails, and IM user names so you can deal with those responsible.

renee you are right. we do brag about the cold and then when someone comments how cold canada is we bitch about lack of knowledge. i am a bad canadian. but it really was bloody hot here the other day, and ironically, cold today. i have wool socks on. :eek:

clueless!!!!! brilliant!! thanks. when i get off tbf i'm going to let my son have a whirl

see you all on the roof tonight!!

Happy Canada Day, all forum Canadians! :)

I think we should have an England Day and celebrate England, land of morris dancers, fish and chips and a first-class train service (sorry, a bit of sarcasm crept in there). We have St George's Day, but I don't think it's a holiday, and another bank holiday never goes amiss. :)

there is a canadian special on that i must watch now...HAPPY CANADA DAY!!! i'm so proud.... :D

Back