• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi Everybody! My first post to the forum woo hoo! :)

not'nuffshelves

Click on my PROFILE for a bit about me — my name's Skye McLaughlin and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay) with three cats and (surprise LOL) definitely not enough bookshelves LOL. I'm a huge fan of anything British, so imagine my delight to learn that this is forum is hosted in Britain!

My taste crosses over into both fiction and non-fiction in Historical Mysteries & Crime (eg. Jack the Ripper), circa 1500-1899 followed closely by Fantasy Science Fiction. I'm writing a Fantasy epic right now, but it will be some years before the first volume (of an anticipated 10) is completed because I'm still storyboarding it.

Right now I'm (finishing) REGINALD HILL's Dalziel & Pascoe series — his most recent work GOOD MORNING, MIDNIGHT. Hill was something of a departure for me — normally I don't pick up contemporary police procedurals but I saw DEATH'S JEST BOOK in the library, and — under the impression that it was a historical mystery — checked it out. Pascoe, Pascoe . . . why do I seem to recall seeing a BBC Mystery series with these characters? I kept asking myself as I got into the book. By the time it dawned on me that, yes, it was that Dalziel & Pascoe, I was just FLABBERGASTED at how utterly BRILLIANT Reginald Hill's writing is!!! OMG I am just hooked! I researched the entire series, and over a period of about 6 weeks read every single one in chronological order. I only have one regret: I wish I had put a Post-It Note on every page where his writing contains yet another taste of his sly wit. His writing is so damned good it actually depresses me, because I know I could never write that well.

Oh — and if you plan on reading Hill, keep a Dictionary handy LOL. This man will single-handedly expand your vocabulary by a minimum of 10 words per novel on average. He is a treasure.

Skye

Hi! :)

You know, there just are NEVER enough book shelfs! Welcome to the forum! I think you're gonna love it here! Have fun! Btw, I'm from Britain so hello from us Brits too! You will quite a few of us on here! :eek:

Welcome to the forum :)

And yes, I fully agree - I never have enough bookshelves ;)

Hello n welcome...Have fun!
:)

ut15d

Welcome to the book forum! :) Your name is very apt for me - I need a house just for my books I think. :rolleyes:

Reginald Hill is very clever. I agree you need a dictionary. He must have what I think is known as a classical education. His Dalziel and Pascoe books are marvellous. Having watched and enjoyed the TV show immensely and it is easy to see the same people in the books.

So far I have read Underworld and Dialogues of the Dead, and am about half way through Arms for the Women. Dialogues of the Dead in particular was very good. There was a mini series on the telly which followed the book very closely. Great stuff.

Back