• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi hi

Bacardi Jim

New member just saying hi and feeling his way around.

Hi!

A few questions:

What is the general age median of this forum?
Are there strict anti-profanity rules? If I screw up, is there a built-in filter that will keep me from accidentally a word I shouldn't use?
I don't see many people here at the moment. Is this usually the case?

Any other helpful info you can give this newbie would be appreciated.

Oops. I see I already blew it by posting this in the wrong forum. I didn't see the "Member Introductions" category. Sorry. :eek:

Hey Jim, welcome. Glad you found your way here.

Not many people on at the moment because our membership is from all over the globe. A good portion of them are in UK/Europe - so there's a time zone difference. We also have a smattering of Aussies, and people in Asia. I'm on at the moment because it's late evening here on the west coast of Canada and the time I usually get some quiet time to catch up on the posts of the day.

Where are you located?

ell

Bacardi Jim said:
Oops. I see I already blew it by posting this in the wrong forum. I didn't see the "Member Intriductions" category. Sorry. :eek:
Not to worry. I will move it to the Member Introductions.

Hi,
I'm fairly new but I'll try to answer your questions. The ages seem to vary a bit there is a good mix.

As for profanity, I don't think there is a filter but you would not be the first to slip up.

People post from all over so sometimes it's really busy and sometimes it's very quiet. I find around lunch time for me is the busiest.

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'm in Arkansas, USA. It's after midnight here, but I'm frequently online this time of night.

If I wanted to jump out and post a "My Favorite Novels" thread to let people get to know me and my tastes, should I do it here or in the GD forum?

no idea about your last question, but welcome and it's nice to meet you. at times it is pretty busy, it should get better in about half an hour to an hour.

Until then, why don't you tell us more about yourself?

honeydevil said:
no idea about your last question, but welcome and it's nice to meet you. at times it is pretty busy, it should get better in about half an hour to an hour.

Until then, why don't you tell us more about yourself?
Well, I'm 43, divorced but currently shacked up with a woman I love deeply. I have a M.A. in Sociology, which qualifies me perfectly for my job managing a liquor store. I read every day, almost exclusively fiction and predominantly sci-fi, fantasy, horror and humor. (Though I also read a fair amount of non-genre fiction.) I play PC adventure games and see a lot of movies.

Anything else? ;)

Bacardi Jim said:
If I wanted to jump out and post a "My Favorite Novels" thread to let people get to know me and my tastes, should I do it here or in the GD forum?
You can start by naming a few here. :)

I see you're a sci-fi & horror fan. Make sure you check out the subforums for those genres. You should find others who like the same books and authors. Join right in. Make yourself at home.

Ell said:
You can start by naming a few here. :)

I see you're a sci-fi & horror fan. Make sure you check out the subforums for those genres. You should find others who like the same books and authors. Join right in. Make yourself at home.
Welllll...... the thing is, I have commentary and cover pics to go with the list, so I thought I'd make a whole thread out of it. I just wasn't sure which was the appropriate place to do so.

But I'll reveal that I am a big fan of Stephen King, William Gibson, William Goldman, F. Paul Wilson, Douglas Adams (obviously), Donald Westlake and many of the sci-fi giants.

Welcome to the forum :) Good choice of genres! What games and movies do you like then? I quite enjoy RPG's myself :)

Hi Jim!

We have at least three things in common:
I am a 1961er too,
And I like King and Adams.
Welcome!

Bacardi Jim said:
I'm in Arkansas, USA. It's after midnight here, but I'm frequently online this time of night.

Hey Jim. I'm in Massachusetts and I work nights, so I'm often online late too. There's often not much going on for a few hours (around midnight) but it starts to pick up a little later when the Brits all get out of bed.

Welcome to the forum, Bacardi Jim! :) I saw your other thread - there's some good authors there. I've read Watership Down twice, but many years ago, so it's probably overdue for a re-read. I really like Stephen King, and thinking about it, I think I've only read Salem's Lot once, about 20 years ago :eek: , so that's definitely in line for a re-read, as I don't really remember too much about it. It'll probably be like reading it for the first time! :cool: What did you think of King's Dark Tower series?

Back