• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

historical fiction recommendations

iluvbooks2003

I suspect that there are many readers out there who love historical fiction as much as I do. Unfortunately, I can never seem to find enough good books in this genre! So, I'm hoping people can suggest some. I'll start: To those of you who love historical fiction, I'd like to strongly recommend Beneath a Marble Sky. I read this marvelous new novel a month ago, and have spent the last month wishing there were more books like it. Beneath a Marble Sky tells the wonderful story behind the creation of the Taj Mahal. I wasn't aware of this story, but I'm so glad that I am now. To know that the most beautiful building in the world was built by a man for his wife is refreshingly beautiful. This book has something for everyone: love, adventure, exoticness, intrigue, and action. It is simply an amazing novel, and has actually inspired me to plan a trip to India! :~) - Sarah

My favorite book from this genre is Pagan's Crusade, by Catherine Jinks. It's about this kid from Jerusalem who joins up with the Knights Templar and becomes the squire of a knight named Lord Roland de Boucy. His name's Pagan, and he's the most absolutely sarcastic, hilarious, entertaining person ever. The story takes place during the Crusades, and Pagan has to help try to defend the Holy City against "the infidel". It's one of my favorite books.

The book Alice in Exile by Piers Paul Read sparked my interest in historical fiction. It's the story of 2 lovers who are separated due to their different social backgrounds, and takes place before, during and after WWI in England and Russia. The female character is strong and independant, and winds up in Russia for the duration of the war, and the revolution that follows. There's a lot of political and military commentary, but it blended well with the story. The descriptions of the hardships suffered by the people were vivid, and the love story was believable and not sappy (not a fan of sap). I guess you would classify it as a romance novel, but there was so much more to it than that. It was an eye opener for me, really.

I've been a fan of Wilbur Smith books for years. While his books aren't historical fiction in the purest sense, many are set against the backdrop of actual historical events or political climates in South Africa. They're always a great read.

I've put some of the books you guys mentioned above on my To Read list. Thanks for the recommendations! It's great to learn while you're enjoying a great story. :)

Not sure if you are a Fan of Historical Military Fiction but Bernard Cornwall and Patrick O'Brian are very good indeed. One is based on age of sail (Patrick O'Brian) and the other on the Pensular War.

Also Ian Pears is a good read!

Jim

I agree on O'brian, and I also recommend A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers, it was a GREAT book.

Just finished Children of the Arbat by Anatoli Rybakov and enjoyed it very much - am now into the second of his trilogy, Fear, and have the third one, Dust and Ashes, beside my chair. Also in my "to read" stack is Russka: The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherford. Can't comment on that one yet. Has anyone read it?
Nancy

'The First Circle' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Set in a 'special prison' (part of the GULAG system where talented prisoners were put to work inventing lots of things in exchange for improved living conditions) in post-war USSR, it really is a classic.

Nancy,

I can't comment on Russka, but if it's anything like London and The Forest (also by Rutherford) then it should be pretty good.

As for historical authors I've enjoyed, I'd try any of the following:

- Sharon Penman, for some fantastic books about the Plantagenet reign in England (start with When Christ and his Saints Slept). She's also written some historical murder mysteries, which are quite fun to read.

- Simon Scarrow, for Roman military history. These are well researched, but the dialogue can be a little up to date at times and jars a little.

- Helen Hollick, for Arthur and for Harold, the first king of England.

- Wilbur Smith, for his Egyptian novels - River God is by far the best of these.

Caleb Carr

The Alientist is a really good murder mystery with a historical fiction background.... It's very well done and touches on early psychiatry, historical police corruption in late 1800"s NY and various other historical issues of that time period...

Ivanhoe is worthy as well, it's true, even if Scott does dwell on his description a bit and construct some interminably long sentences. It's a great adventure.

Dorothy Dunnett has two great series of historical fiction, The Lymond Chronicles and Niccolo Rising. The former starts out in 16th-century Scotland, the latter in 15th-century Bruges; they both hopscotch around Europe and the Middle East, and both feature ascinating characters and wonderfully detailed environments She also wrote a version of the Macbeth story, but the characters aren't as well developed and there were too many events to cram into one book.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

I love this book and if you want to read historical fiction, than you must read this one! It's a novel set in 12th century England revolving around the struggle to build a cathedral. It might sound boring but it's anything but! It's a spellbinding lesson about medieval history. The characters are incredibly real and unforgettable. It's one of my favourite books and I recommend it to everyone. :)

magemanda -

Thanks for your response re: Rutherford. I bought one of Penman's books a couple years ago, but for some reason I set it aside after only a few pages. Perhaps I'll have another go at it.

I, Claudius:Robert Graves
War and Peace: Leo Tolstoy
Les Miserbales: Victor Hugo (Despite the fact that Hugo is annoyingly verbose.)
A Tale of Two Cities: Charles Dickens
Ivanhoe: Sir Walter Scott

I heartily agree with those two Matthew Kneale books. For a long time I thought English Passengers was the best book I ever read (I'm 40) and I still might think so. Also check out: Sarah Dunant, The Birth of Venus (Renaissance-era Florence); Gita Mehta, Raj (late-Raj-era India) and Rose Tremain, Music and Silence (16th cent Denmark) and Restoration (England). These last two especially deserve to be widely read. Tremain is big in the UK but less so here in the States.

Lately they've been making movies out of all my favorite books, most of which seem to be historical. I don't know about the movies (I'm afraid to go see) but these books are amazing:

Tracy Chevalier, Girl with a Pearl Earring (16th (?) century Holland)--she's written others but I think this remains her best
Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain (Civil War)
Peter Carey, Oscar and Lucinda (18th cent UK/Australia)--again, he's written others but this remains my favorite
AS Byatt, Possession (not strictly historical but much of it is)
Louis de Bernieres, Captain Corelli's Mandolin (WWII Greece)

I apologize if these seem obvious but no one's mentioned them yet.

Just checked out English Passengers from local library and will start that as soon as I finish current read (The Colour by Rose Tremain). Thanks for the suggestions.

Nancy

Back