• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hiyo

Safia

Hi, my name's Fiona... I'm 19 (20 in April!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: ) I'm in university studying Sociology and Media. Anyway... that's boring stuff.

Hello people... it's been a long time since I felt like joining a new forum. I wanted to join because well I am a book worm but simply haen't had the time to read lately!!! Friends and work is just too much... I am quite frustrated really. I also like writing but haven't written anything in over a year now. I hope that coming here and going to the Writers and Publishing section I can revive my past talent.

I hope I can get to know soe of you guys and that i have the time to keep coming a long to this place, even if it is only to read.

See you later...!!

- Fiona

Hi there! Welcome to the forum that just plain rocks... with bells on!

I hope you have fun here! My unwanted advice is to be strict with yourself and set aside some reading time. Early in the morning or late at night before bed is good. Get into the habit of going to bed just 30 mins early and have a bit of a read. You would be surprised the difference it can make!

Enjoy the forum! Beware the corner... :)

Safia said:
I hope that coming here and going to the Writers and Publishing section I can revive my past talent.

Sociology and Media isn't boring, Fiona. Will look out for you.

Hi there, and welcome!
wave1.gif

Safia said:
Hi, my name's Fiona... I'm 19 (20 in April!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: ) I'm in university studying Sociology and Media. Anyway... that's boring stuff.
Hey, I wanted to study Media! I'd have thought I would be nice. Actually, I'm thinking about Mass Communications - is it the same thing?

Safia said:
Friends and work is just too much... I am quite frustrated really.
Too many friends frustrate you? :eek:

:D

ds

Welcome to the forum.
Grab a biscuit and a chair and tell us a story.
Have fun.

BTW just read in your profile that you don't get drunk every night... what kind of student are you? :eek:

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. :)

Direstraights - I don't know what mass communications is, but media is okayI guess... I'm thinking of dropping it next year though as I'm not really enjoying it because it isn't really my cup of tea. Maybe a full media studies degree would be better. Media Studies looks more into the history, development and the effect the media has over society. Mass communications sounds more technological then media. It probably has better career prospects though.

I can get no work done with friends banging on my door... one of them as left as of yesterday though, being the one who took up most of my time. So I'm feeling a little sad for the loss of a friend's company right now but no doubt my work shall now thrive, if the others quit getting themselves drunk that is and banging on my door at 2am. And no... I don't like getting drunk!!!

Err.. Hi Billy Oblivion. I'll err... try not to be studenty???

And Wolhay... why do you want to know? All I can say though is that I am happy under the current government. :)

Safia said:
I'm in university studying Sociology and Media. Anyway... that's boring stuff.

Hey Fiona!
Welcome to this forum. :D
I thought studying Law was considered "boring stuff".. :eek: :eek:

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Don't mind Billy Oblivion - he is convinced everyone who live south of Edinburgh is a southerner. Some people just can't admit when they're wrong. :p :D

No it's people south of the River Tees. And anyone who lives north of Durham isn't worth consideration either. I'm very parochial. Is that the right word? Perhaps a bloody student could let me know. They know every bloody thing.

LOL I am a southerner... I'm as south as you can get. I live slap on the south coast and have all me life.

And Billy - I'm not a know it all student. I know nothing.

But parochial could be the right word to use for you I guess. Don't ask me I just found out exactly what it means. (Dictionary.com is such a useful site.)

Why do you dislike southeners and students so much?

BulldozerGirl -Safia I think means emerald. I got it from a book of babies names as I love the meaning of names. Its a character I came up with long ago of a white haired elf with eyes of emerald green... strange for an albino I know.

Safia said:
BulldozerGirl -Safia I think means emerald. I got it from a book of babies names as I love the meaning of names. Its a character I came up with long ago of a white haired elf with eyes of emerald green... strange for an albino I know.

Oh? I'll look that up then. I don't know what language that would be in. But Safia is an Arabic name for females, and it means "pure". A Jewess from Medina who married the prophet Mohammed was called Safia, so a lot of people who use the name today call themselves after her.

Safia said:
Wolhay... why do you want to know? All I can say though is that I am happy under the current government. :)
If you ever become a journalist or a mediaowner, your political conviction could be interesting to know.

Are also you happy that representatives for the empire are bred instead of chosen?

Bulldozergirl - I did not know that! I just thought at the time it was a pretty name, although I knew it had some arabic origin I have not actually looked too far into the name as such. Althougb I think there are two spellings... Safia was listed in one language but Saffyah (i'm not sure of the spelling) was under another and it gave the meaning of emerald.

It's just a name I've had for a very long time... it's sort of just my screenname, don't read too much into it.

Wolhay-My political conviction is very sparsely formed. I'm not a strong supporter for either party and I can't say I'm incredibly intelligent when it comes to politics. All what I really meant was that I do not think that the current government are leading us badly like everyone believes.

And as for your second question? Am I to take that you mean the royal family, as I heard a while ago that Blair wished to abolish the inherited rights some people have to sit in the House of Lords?

Is not Empire a slightly dated word now anyway? I really don't want to get into a political discussion, and this I don't think is the place, but I am interested although not well researched.

Back