• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Holiday reading-help!

bluedahlia

I'm going on vacation this week to London, and I'm looking for some reading that's not only easy to read, but also descriptive of people and places in England. One book that served for that purpose on past trip was The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow, and this other Henry VIII¡s wives bio. This time I think a WWII novel would do or any with the mentioned themes. Any suggestions?
Btw, I have a daytime 11 hour flight :( , keep that in mind, it could be more than one book only.

Waterland

an incredible, engrossing, funny,tragic, detailed novel that involves the geography of the english fens, the mating habits of eels, beermaking, WW1 trench warfare, family history, meditations on the nature of history, romance,insanity and the philosophy of teaching and manages to tie it all very neatly together, a great quick read and one of the best books written in the last hundred years

cheap copy available here

http://www.booksxyz.com/profile.php?bid=171012&x1=Y

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

Quite filled with descriptions of places in England and a great English classic.

If you will settle for Lyme Regis (a bit south of London), "The French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles is one of my all time favorites. Could be broadly termed a historical novel, although it is much more than that. It combines unforgettable characters, natural history, the Victornian era and a compelling story, and I would recommend it highly.

When I was in London I took a book with me called "Walking Literary London", which was a great guide to the city and made for some interesting sightseeing. This is the Amazon description: "Walking Literary London presents 25 carefully planned walks that explore London's rich literary heritage. You find it packed with stories of the lives, loves, and works of famous novelists, poets, and playwrights. Along with its visitor information, photos, and maps, its unique take on London makes this guide a must-have for your trip to this captivating city, especially if you love books."

Have a wonderful time!

Hi bluedahlia how about Winston's War by Michael Dobbs

From a bestselling novelist with an unrivalled insight into the workings of power comes a compelling new novel exploring Winston Churchill’s remarkable journey from the wilderness to No 10 Downing Street at the beginning of World War II.

Read it a little while ago, excellent.

Back