• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Holocaust Books

jturpin4

Does anyone know of any good/decent books of the Holocaust? The only one I have is Night and it was excellent! One of the best books I have read. :cool:

I read a great non-fiction book last year. Blood From a Stone by Yaron Svoray. It is partly about the present, but a lot of it is about the Holocaust. I found it really gripping.

hey, you're in luck!! :)
I make research on holocaust, so i found something

Night was written by Elie Wiesel , also written by her is one generation after

One Generation After
This nonfiction narrative of Elie Wiesel's was published in 1965. While he relates events of World War II, his primary focus is on the relationship between the Holocaust and the founding of the State of Israel. Wiesel deals plainly with the paradoxes that confronted Jews around the world after the Holocaust. The creation of Israel, he notes, served as a consolation to all of humankind, not to Jews alone, for the atrocities of the Holocaust. His theme is the affirmation of life and faith following such an abominable tragedy. Recommended for high school students.

Survival in Auschwitz
by Primo Levi
Primo Levi was a young Italian chemist, only twenty-four, when he was captured by the Nazis in 1943. He spent two long and torturous years at Auschwitz before the Russian army freed the remaining prisoners. Levi was allowed to live only because of his superior scientific knowledge which made him useful to the Nazis. This memoir, a classic of twentieth-century literature, tells of his time there, and of the horrors he both experienced and witnessed. Levi's style is uncomplicated and frank, yet sophisticated. At times his tone is almost detached. Both his words and his silences will move and grip the reader as he relates the evils of this notorious death camp. Recommended for high school students.

Voices from the Holocaust
edited by Sylvia Rothchild
This powerful book is a compilation of firsthand Holocaust stories told by Jews currently living in the United States. The survivors reveal their attitudes toward the Holocaust as they reflect upon their experiences and tell of their lives before, during, and after the era of the Third Reich. Materials from the William E. Wiener Oral History Library of the American Jewish Committee are used. Recommended for junior high and high school students.

Selected Poems, Including the Verse Play, Eli
by Nelly Sachs
The most effective Holocaust poetry is sometimes the most painful to read. Nelly Sachs, a German Jew who escaped to Sweden, writes eloquently about Holocaust atrocities in her collection of verses. Images of Nazi crematoriums pervade these poems, and the innocence of the imprisoned children touches the reader's heart. Sachs wrote the surreal mystery play, Eli, just three years after her 1940 escape from Berlin. This play was influenced by myth, dance, and folk ritual. Sachs was co-winner of the Nobel Prize for literature in 1966. Recommended for high school students.

This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen
bTadeusz Borowski
This collection of a dozen tales conveys a range of messages about the Holocaust. The title story is about the dehumanization of concentration camp prisoners as they are forced by the Nazis to work to the brink of exhaustion. Those few who are not designated for gassing must carry the corpses to the burning piles. Captive laborers rummage through the pockets of the dead and search for bits of decaying food. Yet all of these savage acts are treated matter-of-factly: even the most beastly behavior on the part of the inmates must be excused, for all is done in the name of survival under the most terrible of circumstances. Other stories tell of a typical day in the life of a prisoner; another is an account of a German soldier killed for his cruelty by a naked woman who tricked him out of his pistol. The soldier dies unable to comprehend the desperate woman's act of vengeance. Recommended for junior high and high school students.

All But My Life
by Gerda Weissmann Klein
A true story that tells about Gerda's experience as one of only 120 women who survived a three-hundred-mile march from a labor camp in western Germany to Czechoslovakia. The author was only fifteen when the Nazis brought the war to the Polish town in which she lived with her family. All but My Life is a moving story of her suffering as a slave laborer, and of others who did not survive. Recommended for middle and high school students.

Their Brothers' Keepers
by Philip Friedman
On November 6, 1957, the historian Philip Friedman dedicated this book, a product of ten years of difficult and meticulous research, to Christians who aided Jews during the Holocaust. The classic volume is the first documented evidence of Christian assistance to Jews during the Third Reich. Friedman relied upon firsthand information: eyewitness accounts, official documents, personal correspondence, and diaries. As he interviewed people across Europe in his efforts to discover instances of mercy and sacrifice, Friedman also attempted to understand the rescuers' motivations in risking their lives to save strangers.

Assignment: Rescue
by Varian Fry
This autobiography tells the captivating story of Varian Fry, an unlikely American secret agent who traveled to France in June of 1940 under the guise of assisting the International YMCA. His real intention was to help smuggle Jews through the tightly controlled French borders. The Jews trapped in southern France, at the time run by the new puppet government of Vichy, would face certain deportation to concentration camps if they did not escape the Gestapo. Fry describes the thirteen months he spent helping the enemies of the Third Reich to obtain money, false passports, transportation and other items necessary for safe travel across France. He is credited with saving the lives of two to three thousand people. Recommended for junior high school and high school students.

Schindler's List
by Thomas Keneally
Thomas Keneally's famous novel is a carefully balanced mixture of fact and fiction. Based on a true story, Keneally utilizes the testimonies of survivors to relate the remarkable account of Oskar Schindler, a supposed Nazi sympathizer who decided that Hitler's violent campaign of murder was profoundly, morally wrong. Schindler began to intercede from within the German system itself. He outsmarted the SS and the Gestapo by secretly harboring thousands of Jews in his factory. Schindler's factory employed Jewish workers and thus saved many who were targeted for deportation to the concentration camps. Oskar Schindler’s personal initiative and courage cost him dearly financially, but his life-saving mission rescued men, women and children from certain death in the gas chambers. His name will never be forgotten as a heroic Righteous Gentile. Steven Spielberg's critically acclaimed movie, Schindler’s List, is faithful to the novel and makes a useful teaching tool in accompaniment. Both are recommended for high school students.
While the scarlet child stopped in her column and turned to watch, they shot the woman in the neck, and one of them, when the boy slid down the wall whimpering, jammed a boot down on his head, as if to hold it still and put the barrel against the back of the neck--the recommended SS stance--and fired....
At last Schindler slipped from his horse, tripped, and found himself on his knees hugging the trunk of a pine tree. The urge to throw up his excellent breakfast was, he sensed, to be suppressed for he suspected it meant that all his cunning body was doing was making room to digest the horrors of Krakusa Street.

Sorry is a little bit longer than I expected!! I have more if you want, just write to me and i give you the title and the author!!
bye

have a good dream :)

Hi, Schindler's List is actually called Schindler's Ark. Schindler's List was the title of the film. I can really recommend it. I believe Thomas Keneally won the Booker Prize in 1982 for this book.

Folly xx

I really enjoyed And the Violins Stopped Playing by Alexander Ramati. It focuses more on the gypsies than on the Jews.

Stalky said:
I really enjoyed And the Violins Stopped Playing by Alexander Ramati. It focuses more on the gypsies than on the Jews.
that sounds interesting!! I'm german, and i do a lot of research in this field of history and everytime i find something new, i just sit in front of my computer and the silent tears go down my cheeks, :eek:
bye

Some more Holocaust books for you :

The Holocaust by Martin Gilbert.
Martin Gilbert has a bit of a lousy reputation as a historical author but personally I thought this book was very well written and researched.

Hitlers Willing Executioners by Daniel Jonah Goldhagan
Quite graphic and upsetting but well worth the read

The Nazis - A Warning from History by Laurance Rees
Another 'must have' for anyone interested in learning about the Holocaust

Folly x

Stoker by Donald Watt

Elli by Livia E Bitton Jackson

Witness by Joshua M Greene and Shiva Kumar

To name a few.

And The Violins Stopped Playing: a story of the Gypsy Holocaust by Alexander Ramati, is one of the best books I have read about the holocaust. It does give a lot of info on the Romany and their way of life, it is told from a teen Romany boy's point of view and I was completely wrapped up with their story. It is based on a true story or stories and had so much information, detail and emotion. I read the book in one sitting and then my husband did the same.

I'd like to recommend Art Spiegelman's Maus.
This graphic novel provides an interesting perspective on the Holocaust from the point of view of one of the few who have been through and survived this tragedy. The use of cartoon characters makes the story more accessible while retaining the poignancy of the tale.

OH, do I ever have a GREAT...I mean OUTSTANDING Holocaust memoir for you!!!! I read alot of books on the subject myself. You HAVE to get "Thanks to My Mother" by Schoschana Rabinovici. It's a major page-turner!!!

Back