• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you choose the book you'll read next ?

I have an entire library, so usually if someone recommands I read one, I'll read that one next. If there's a movie based on book that looks interesting I'll read that next. If it's around a holiday I'll read a seasonal book (Mothers day I'll read a dramaish/family type novel, halloween I'll read a horror novel) kinda like that.

i get most of my books from the library so i take out a whole whack and then do the same as ell, read a few chapters in see what grabs me. then after i've read it, if i really loved it and know i will read it again, i buy it.

I have a small shelf that can fit about 10 trade paperbacks. I put all my "next up" books on it. When I start a book I try to decide which one will be next, it sometimes changes, but I try to stick to it. Although, I've already decided to change what I read after I finish I, Lucifer.

Well I have a list of authors that I buy when they release a book (perhaps 2 doen or so). I also keep an eye out on recomendations by credible reviewers (there is not a surplus of those either, the statment implies I also pay no mind to amazon reviews).

Barring that I buy aquite a few boosk a month, and I just buy what I think may be good.

I walk around and stare at the bookshelves which all have many 'To be read' books. Eventually, something says "READ ME". Sometimes it takes several trips around the shelves. :)

I always have a huge pile of books so that I can go for whatever I am in the mood for. Often I like to change the type of book and read something different from the one before.

I have a very hard time deciding what I'm going to read next. Sometimes I plan ahead, others, if its a series, I read the whole series. Now it's especially difficult to read something different, because my mother put all my books in boxes, and put the boxes in the storage outside.:( She hates books.

I don't have a hard time picking what to read. I just pluck one off the shelf and read it. Though I guess it helps that I get lots of library books too. I just read what I got from there, and then read any books I bought, and so on and so on. :cool:

I tend to buy books on recommendation. Amazon is great at suggesting books i'd like. Going through a crime thriller spell at the minute (Connelly, Coben, Reichs etc..)

Other than that, I have picked up a few recommendations on here :)

Currently I have a LOT of books on my To Read List, but few in my To Read Pile. I generally don't have that much money to buy the new books I want to buy so i settle for buying a load of cheap second hand ones. Since I've got a pile of books waiting to be read they are the ones I *try* to read first. I usually read a whole series at once if I can (not always possible though) or a few books by the one author at a time. When I'm picking my books from a charity shop I'll look for any books I'm missing from series', ones in my list, books by authors I know or just ones that catch my eye in some way (cover title, storyline). I have a lot of choice from what to read at the moment and hopefully I won't get stuck for things to read! :D

I have an ongoing list and I make certain I have a number of books from that list at my immediate disposal.

Pilgrim said:
I'm also sad enough to have a list of books I want to buy in the near future. There are currently about 60 authors on the list.

I keep a list like this as a matter of self-preservation. I take my "little brown notebook" with me at all times, so that when I go into the bookstore or library, I can write down the titles that sound irresistible. Knowing that I can always look them up and find them again, I can usually resist the urge to take them home by the dozens. That's a good thing, because even if I could afford to buy books by the dozens, I'd never find the time to read them all.

I'm often struck by how skillfully publishers meld the arts of book design and book marketing. I'm surprised at how often I can tell, just by looking at the book's cover--at the type of illustrations used, the color scheme, the typeface--whether a book will be my "type" or not. I can often get a good idea just by seeing the spine of the book. Of course, publishers spend oodles of money figuring out how best to do this. Usually I'm annoyed by the thought of such manipulation. But in this case, I'm often grateful for how much time it saves me as I'm browsing the bookshelves. I'd never find a good book by browsing if I had to open every single cover to read the publisher's blurbs!

mamabookworm61 said:
I keep a list like this as a matter of self-preservation. I take my "little brown notebook" with me at all times, so that when I go into the bookstore or library, I can write down the titles that sound irresistible. Knowing that I can always look them up and find them again, I can usually resist the urge to take them home by the dozens. That's a good thing, because even if I could afford to buy books by the dozens, I'd never find the time to read them all.

I'm sort of similar. If i get a good book recommendation, i'll make a note on my phone in the notes function. Then when i get chance, i'll look it up on the net and if it sounds good, it goes on my Amazon wishlist :)

come to here, the bookforum. and searched posts written by people here who I knew about and whose opinion I would trust and rely on.

Or searched for books that won different kinds awards. Award Winners page on Powells.com is a place I'd frequent.

how i choose my books

i go thru newspaper to find out the bestsellers n thn frends n cousins are big help!

I frequent the library and rarely leave without a book or three. I read a wide variety of genres and try to get a variety every time I go. Sometimes, like now, I get in a genre "mood". In order to avoid burnout, I limit myself to not reading the same genre two books in a row. I also do the same with a series, I'll try to read at least one, really try to get two other books, between each installment. This really isn't difficult for me, since I like so many different kinds of books. Sometimes, if I am in a quandry, I'll read the first couple of pages of a few and stick with the one that grads my attention the most.

Back