• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you feel when....

francesca

How do you feel when you have just closed the last page of a book and its all over?
I've noticed that I feel really down in the aftermath of a good book, its like a kind of regret or greiving...is this just me or does anyone else feel strange when they finish a book?

:confused:

Depending on the book, sometimes I feel as you do.

More likely I'm happy that I'm now free to start another book!

ds

I get quite sad and tend to breathe a deep sigh..something like regret on finishing it I guess. I always spend some time to think about the book and never start another book the same day. But, then again, if it was a really rubbish book, I'm usually a little relieved..

Really depends on the book. Sometimes I am sad to leave that world and I know as I shut that metaphorical door that the world and the people that I have travailed with for a moment in time will always linger in my memory. Certain books remain very vivid and the characters in them have stayed with me and seem very real.

With other books I am just relieved to finish the thing and move onto something else!

If its a book I have loved feel quite Sad, like I have just said goodbye to some great friends :(
Think I'm going to with book I'm reading now only just strarted, and so far loving it.

I can feel like that if I really get into a fantasy series or just one really great book. But other times when I feel all my questions are answered and the adventure is well and truey over, I feel satisfied and want to get the next book out of the pile and getting started on that. :D

My first thought when i close the book is 'What to read next?'
I Got to start another straight away, i've got a large TBR pile so if the book i read was good then i just pick the next one on the pile, if the last book was bad then i tend to take more care on what i select next. Very rare i get two bad books in a row.

If I don't like the book I wont make it through the hole thing, so if I finish a book it was because I liked it. I some times look as the last page and say thats it, I feel this overwhelming need for more. I get a little sad, but because I love to read so much I run around looking for another good book to read.

I'm that way too. If I don't like a book then I won't finish it. The way I see it is that life's far too short to have your precious free time engaged in something you don't enjoy! That said, I like some books a whole lot more than others.

I expect the ending of a book to be so satisfying that I really feel I am finished with the story and with the characters. The ending of a good book makes it feel right that it's time to leave.

Also, I usually think right away that I will reread the book sometime, so that's another reason I don't have to feel sad about finishing it.

Usually I will feel sad after finishing a book. You're leaving behind a world and characters that you get to know intimately. There are occasions where I'm not sad though. If an ending tanks or if it's a book that continues right into another and the book is available to me immediately I don't feel sad. If I've felt ambivalent throughout a book I'll feel ambivalent about the ending but that's pretty rare.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one then! I do have to wait at least a few hours before I pick up a new book, just for some emotional closure. The exception I would make is when I read something that is a very quick read, for example a thriller as, and I hesitate to say this, light relief. That's not a very good way of putting it as it makes it sound like reading for me has to be a heavy intellectual emotional experience. It doesnt of course, I can engage on different levels with just about anything, I just like to switch moods sometimes.

I tend to have to wait a little while before jumping into a new book too! It takes awhile to leave that world and have it trickle slowly out of me and for the emotions to dissipate.

I have a friend who just starts reading the book again once she's finished it, if she liked it that much.

I can't do that; I can read a book more than once, but not after I have just finished it. When I finish a book, I usually just start another one.

when you finish a book

some times when i finish a book i think there could have been more to it and i get disheartend :p

I love to see that I am not the only one that feels this way. I always felt like I was insane or something to get that wrapped up in a book. I guess because I really don't know anyone else who reads that much.

I will reread a book over again if it is a really complex book. I want to go back to the begining and see what I missed that was relevant now that I know the whole story. Somethings just make more sense a second time. I guess this comes from being an English major.

If the book was really good, I get a little upset that it's over, right now I am reading a 950 page book, and i'm at 650 and i know the end is coming, and because i am enjoying it so much, i dread that the end is near! But if it is a book that someone I know has read, I will call them to discuss it, (it is usually my boyfriend :p ).
But like pretty much everyone here, if the book was crappy, I just pick up the next one without a second thought about it...or I get angry for actually taking the time to finish it.

I feel lost and empty and alone! I miss the characters and I usually think of other situations for them.
Books that are amazing and suspencefull are the hardest, cos you want to finished them to iknow the twist, but you cant bare to be without it!!

lani

how do i feel when i finish a book? well, usually, i feel... almost melancholy. i usually just sit and stare at the empty page in the back and stare and stare and stare and stare. everything seems so quiet, like somone has pressed a pillow to my ears.

Hi all...
In my case, there are mixed feelings... it usually starts when I am reaching the end: satisfaction at seeing all (or most of) the loose ends tied up; a bit of sadness when a nice story is coming to an end, or frustration when the end just isn't satisfactory or plausible. Sometimes, I already have another book lined up so that I can start on a brand new story...

But I would like to agree with some of the previous posters that I very often feel this (physical) sense of completion and conclusion when I finish a book, which i will sometimes mark by a huge sigh or a deep breath.

Back