• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you guys read books? I need advice

I hope you don't find this question offensive. Is English you first language? I wondered about this from your use of grammar. If this is the case, maybe Eng lang classes could help. If this is not the case, why not buy yourself an electronic dictionary? I use one frequently - it's a Sharp. This makes the process of checking words less of a hassle than thumbing through book-dictionaries.

Why are you reading the types of books you're reading? Is it for a course? Or is this just a personal choice of reading material? If the latter, maybe ease up on yourself and read less heavy matter.

The way I normally read a book is try to read a chapter a day. So say if a book has 35 chapters it will take me 35 days to read it. Now if some of the chapters are small I will read more than one, but a chapter a day is how I try to do it. Now if I'm writing a book like I am now I don't read other authors work as much it keeps my mind focused on what I'm writing. Hopefully the one I'm writing now you will all see in book stores sometime soon.

Reading One chapter a day...

Great idea.

I have tried to set aside one hour a day for reading, minimum.

I don't read fiction, and read some books I find intriguing
several times.

Interesting you don't read much while you are Writing.
I find myself reading volumes while I am writing.

Of course, most of my writings are Story lines, and outlines
for others to take and expand,
so I am always on the prowl of IDEAS

To enjoy reading, you don't have to understand every word or sentence down to the phoneme. In fact, doing so can actually throw you into a regressive vortex of meaning. That seems to be where you're at. If you really want to understand and enjoy a book then read it twice. Once for the gist and substance of the story/theme/information. This should be a fairly brisk read. Then a second time for more careful analysis. You'll both enjoy the book more on the first reading, but some questions may linger, and you'll understand it better the second time through. You can answer any questions, or try to, on the second more detailed reading. And who knows, maybe you'll find you don't need a second reading for some books.

As for my reading habits, I occasionally take notes while I read if something reaches out and poinks me. For longer more complicated books I try to write a short summary by chapter or section. Then when I'm done I re-read the summary. This has worked for me.

read it twice. Once for the gist and substance of the story/theme/information. This should be a fairly brisk read. Then a second time for more careful analysis. You'll both enjoy the book more on the first reading, but some questions may linger, and you'll understand it better the second time through.

For longer more complicated books I try to write a short summary by chapter or section. Then when I'm done I re-read the summary. This has worked for me.

Both excellent points.
1. For books that I think are worth the effort I reread and gain enormous insight the second time around, or maybe third or fourth.
2. I do mark up and write notes, but most important in doing that, I try to explain to myself in my own language what I think the author was trying to say.

Both of those can frequently be achieved without deep knowledge of every single word. It is only after I think I understand the passage that I might look up specific words that seem to be crucial.

I think the idea of reading a book more than once is useful, as long as it's worth the re-read. Often there are many subtle points that aren't picked up on, until you know how the story ends.

But the main point of reading for enjoyment, is to read what you like, rather than forcing yourself to read a high-brow novel, simply because that is what is 'expected'.

I don't have any set method for reading, aside from reading when I want to, and not forcing myself when I'm not in the mood. Note taking also helps. For all the books I've read this year, I've kept a word document which summarises the story. I have a pretty bad memory, so I find the act of typing it out, helps me remember.

Back