• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

alex_r_101

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and I guess what pushed me to join was a great curiosity to see how important it is for other reading folk to expand their vocabulary through reading or other methods. Personally it's really important for me, and I manage to work on it pretty consistently.

How important is it, and what methods do you use? Would you even be willing to spend money on it if it really helped you?

Thanks for your feedback everyone. :D

Which vocabulary-expanding company is it that your represent?

Harsh, and that coming from one of the moderators. Not from any company, just a question sprung from pure curiosity. If I ask a question on how much you spend on books a month, would that make me a publishing company looking for research? I'd actually think that be a great question to see how people compare to me with how many books I buy and read.

And even if I was, why such express ill will to go about thwarting a valid question that falls perfectly into the forum topics? A good topic is good regardless of who started it.

I'm sure not coming back in here, if that's the reception a newbie gets.

Harsh, and that coming from one of the moderators. Not from any company, just a question sprung from pure curiosity. If I ask a question on how much you spend on books a month, would that make me a publishing company looking for research? I'd actually think that be a great question to see how people compare to me with how many books I buy and read.

And even if I was, why such express ill will to go about thwarting a valid question that falls perfectly into the forum topics? A good topic is good regardless of who started it.

I'm sure not coming back in here, if that's the reception a newbie gets.

Aha... or maybe she wasn't a cynic. In fairness to you new guy, for those who visit such forums for more than just a few casual visits it becomes really easy to spot advertising topics, threads started by authors and businesses promoting their own products/services solely, and or companies just wanting to get their post counts up so they can advertise their services/products in their signature files...

We've had so many here it's not funny, and they just kill the community, not add to it.

Aha... or maybe she wasn't a cynic. In fairness to you new guy, for those who visit such forums for more than just a few casual visits it becomes really easy to spot advertising topics, threads started by authors and businesses promoting their own products/services solely, and or companies just wanting to get their post counts up so they can advertise their services/products in their signature files...

We've had so many here it's not funny, and they just kill the community, not add to it.

It's not an aha moment. An argument must contain all valid points to be considered laterally. I merely considered the possibility of his accusation's validity. And I've been an active participant in other forums. I've seen and understand what you're saying. But whatever guys...

The topic you are discussing plus having a username containing spaces and numbers like yours generally mean that the poster is a spammer. Even more so as if it is the first topic you started (instead of making an introduction thread for yourself in the introductions forum). Moreover, you asked whether people would be willing to pay for any such services which only heightened my suspicions. If you are not an advertiser, I'm sorry and I'd like you to stay and contribute to any and all discussions on this here forum.

O and I'm not a he.

Etymology is my love; linguistics too. Words are fun. Words, to me, are like hues to a painter when it come to writing creatively.

I can't provide a direct link so copy/paste this site and enjoy: etymonlin.com

My vocabulary comes from my reading.
And please, alex, oh please do come back. You are such a well-spoken person. Let's see what you have to add. :confused:

personally I think that reading helps me with my vocabulary. The more I read the faster I read and sometimes even pick up a few new words that I haven't seen before.

Back