• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How many genres do you like to read?

Jenem said:
my very favorite genre is post apocalyptic (that's pretty specific)...
Jenem, if you play computer games, then Fallout and Fallout 2 will be right up your alley. Shame they aren't novels you can read though. Come to think of it, if they were novels they would probably suck, coz they need to be played thru, not read thru.

Did you enjoy _The Book of the New Sun_ by Gene Wolfe and _A Canticle for Leibowitz_ by Walter M. Miller Jr?

I've never read any western (though _The Gunslinger_ is western-ish), and I don't think I'd enjoy it. So I'm with Wabbit on this.

ds

p.s. Should I change it to *through* instead of *thru* before BillyO gets here?

I'll read fiction, philosophy, and poetry... I used to be into sci-fi, but it's really not me thing. Thrillers/horror scare me. :rolleyes:

Postmodern fic is my favorite. :cool:

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
I don't see how there can be "Horror" Novels. They don't really scare you, unless they're horrific! lol
I would say that horror novels are more likely that horrormovies, when its your own mind playing, you can get scared... :eek:

Until 2 months ago I was only reading fantasy, then I joined this forum and that was changed radically.. Now I read anything but romance, my sisters watching Danielle Steel movies has made that genre into something I'm staying away from..(found a nice way to put it... :))

I can't bare to read an actual Romance Novel. I mean it's nice to weave some romance through all teh fightung scenes and things ina Fantasy Novel, but an entire Book devoted to Romance? I can't picture myself reading it!

SillyWabbit said:
I like to be open minded as I can b and so there's not really a genre that I wouldn't read at all BUt if I have to pick one then I will say western. They just do nothing for me at all! :eek:

I agree, but there can be exceptions. Most shoot-em-up westerns are formulaic, no characterization, no atmosphere, no nothing; but some are different. Same, I guess, with most genre fiction. I never read romance, for instance, but a good love story can be good. One, whose title and author I can’t recall, is set in Hong Kong: a high-ranking British policeman falls in love with a Chinese teacher from the Communist School. Their liaison has to be kept secret from their affiliates on both sides of the political divide, and that becomes difficult. I’m sure someone out there will remember this book – it was a very big seller. I gave it to a girlfriend and she said yes, she doesn’t generally read romance novels, but this one was great. It was only then that I realized that yes, it did fit into the romance category.

On seriously good novels set in the American West, I’ll start a new thread.

I suppose the chance of finding that few gems among the usual fluff that you've never liked is the problem. Like yourself, the only time I'll be able to add one to my counter for my Romance reads is when I fumble on a book quite by accident, read the contents without bothering to know that the heck it's all about, enjoy it, then find out that it's romance.

This has happened to me before, but it was not a romance novel.

The trouble with western is you can't fumble and read through a western without finding out it's a western! :) The only remotely western novel I've read is The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Didn't like the boots and guns and the swivel door bars, but the interdimensional going-ons more than made up for it. :)

ds

Have you read Larry McMurtry, Direstraits? Lonesome Dove is what made him famous, but he has written a lot in what I would call the Western genre, all of them good. Personally, I can't get into Stephen King. His writing comes across as very flat, to me.

No, I haven't. Just popped into Amazon to check him out cause I haven't even heard of him! Irk.

If I find Lonesome Dove (cheap, I might add), then I'll probably try him out (I'm already beginning to read politics and worse - autobiographies, the one thing I said I wouldn't read, so I reckon a western wouldn't harm me).

Thanks!

ds

Or you could try Horseman, Pass By. His first, I think. Didn't win the Pulitzer, like Dove, but I think the movie based on it (Hud) must have won awards, and made Paul Newman famous.

Paul Newman was famous to me already, for his portrayal of Billy The Kid in some B movie from way way back. Movie was unremarkable, except for Newman. I remember the Kid character dancing, a likeable drunk and happy teenager/dangerous, murderous little psychopath.

Back