• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How to write a good western book

wrbenton

Cowboy.jpg

So, You Want To Write Western Fiction?
Lasso your publisher with high-falootin' western fare
Copyright By W.R. Benton

It's a much-felt occupational hazard of those of us who write. Most manuscripts submitted each year to publishers are never seriously considered for publication, much less read. Near as I can guess, pardner, we have about two or three sentences to lasso a publishers attention.

I am often asked how I get a publisher to look at my western fiction, with its already flooded market, and how I go about having them read beyond the first paragraph. To that end I have five rules that I consider essential in preparing my manuscripts for submission. Ride 'em out, rawhide!!

1) Consider your audience carefully. Most western fiction readers have a better than average knowledge of history. They'll bust you immediately if your book has any serious inaccuracies in it. While you don’t have to know everything about the west to write about it, your writing must be historically accurate to a large degree.

I round up a veritable stampede of research on any western fiction I intend to write. It aids me in developing not only the particularly primitive lifestyle and the equipment, weapons, geography, social mores and language that go with it, but story's setting as well.

2) Develop a solid plot that has a lot of action and adventure woven into it, but make sure it's believable. Western fiction readers read to be transported to another era. So keep in mind the constant battle for survival that most folks faced in those days. Men and women met, fell in love, got married and had families, with nary a hint of sex, against the backdrop of the dangers and constant pressures of discovering a new land. When I do have a sex scene in a book, I usually take the reader just so far . . . and then fade out. Fodder for endless stories will arise from just imagining, in this modern age, their hardships.

3) Keep your dialog consistent. Most people in the 1800’s were very poorly educated, though there were exceptions, and not many of them could do much more than write their names or read small portions of the Bible. Make sure your dialog reflects this, but don’t use it to the point that it becomes hard for the reader to follow what is being said. I don’t think it matters a great deal the phonetic spellings you may use as long as you use the same spelling all the time.

4) Make your main character a person who is revered. He/she should be a person of deep thought and vast knowledge, a crusader for justice and a champion of the American "way." While it is not necessary for them to be full of book-larnin', they should should be a hitchin' post of humanity, abundantly capable of rational, logical thought processes and master of his/her emotions (cowboys/girls don't cry). Brilliant, but self-taught, and from the school of hard knocks. Regardless of the character's education, he/she must be an individual of rare intelligence and the highest personal integrity. And, they must stand up to evil, with no back down in ‘em.

5) Start your book with action right off the bat! Do yourself a favor. You might try a gunfight or Indian attack. I almost immediately place my primary character in a life-threatening situation -- in western fiction, a sure-fire attention grabber. To keep it, at the end of the chapter, leave the situation suspended, playing on the reader's subconscious. And just keep that action and adventure comin' throughout, you ol' rattlesnake, you!

Now, y'all pull up a high-backed chair, hang up your six-shooters, kick off them boots and tell me your tallest tale of the Old West, pardn'r!

"First published by Inkwell Newswatch (IN) http://www.fwointl.com/in.html"

It's a much-felt occupational hazard of those of us who write. Most manuscripts submitted each year to publishers are never seriously considered for publication, much less read. Near as I can guess, pardner, we have about two or three sentences to lasso a publishers [sic] attention.

Are you talking about westerns here with regards to never being read or considered for publication, or are you talking about the publishing industry in general? If it's westerns, then I can understand that since the market for westerns has waned considerably. Tips, such as yours, which practically try to define a formula for making westerns may be part of the problem since you are effectively promulgating the use of cliché rather than encouraging innovation within a tired genre.

1) Consider your audience carefully. Most western fiction readers have a better than average knowledge of history. They'll bust you immediately if your book has any serious inaccuracies in it. While you don’t have to know everything about the west to write about it, your writing must be historically accurate to a large degree.
I think that all fiction - not just westerns - would be better served by getting historical details correct. Of course, sometimes it doesn't matter (i.e. The Da Vinci Code) and the book sells quantities that the brain just can't comprehend.
What about westerns set in the modern age? Herding cattle across the hills with laptop tucked into his saddlebag, for example.

2) Develop a solid plot that has a lot of action and adventure woven into it, but make sure it's believable.

What's wrong with a western that's introspective, where nothing much happens but through a couple of interactions and mullings of the past, the character comes to terms with who he is. Or who he isn't? It may not have gunfights, Mexicans shouting 'hey, Blondie', and heating beans over an open fire, but it would still be a western.

Men and women met, fell in love, got married and had families, with nary a hint of sex, against the backdrop of the dangers and constant pressures of discovering a new land.

The last western I seen it was two men that met, fell in love, got married and had families. One point, I think, for innovation over cliché.

3) Keep your dialog consistent. Most people in the 1800’s [sic] were very poorly educated, though there were exceptions, and not many of them could do much more than write their names or read small portions of the Bible.

What about numeracy? In the westerns they always seem to know how much a beer or a girl costs. :)

4) Make your main character a person who is revered. He/she should be a person of deep thought and vast knowledge, a crusader for justice and a champion of the American "way." While it is not necessary for them to be full of book-larnin', they should should be a hitchin' post of humanity, abundantly capable of rational, logical thought processes and master of his/her emotions (cowboys/girls don't cry). Brilliant, but self-taught, and from the school of hard knocks. Regardless of the character's education, he/she must be an individual of rare intelligence and the highest personal integrity. And, they must stand up to evil, with no back down in ‘em.

Must the character always be of the "school of hard knocks"? I can imagine someone being educated at a high level but giving up their vocations to become an outlaw. At the same time, I can imagine something like Of Mice And Men told from the perspective of Lenny, the simpleton. A novel about an Indian warrior integrating with the new white society with not a scalping in sight. Real characters, rather than the usual stock of poncho clad gun-for-hire hustlers with no home but the open range, who, with endless action, have little time to actually breathe on the page.

5) Start your book with action right off the bat!

Start your book with a situation, I'd say, rather than action. A strange premise would also be good, rather than action. Why, for example, have none of the outlaws the cowboy was expecting to help him in robbing the mail train turned up at the arranged meeting place? Is it a trap? Has he got the wrong place? The wrong day?

Didn't the 1986 Pulitzer prize winning Lonesome Dove begin with a guy walking out of his house and filling a jug with water? Not a train robbery or a holdup in sight.

Now, y'all pull up a high-backed chair, hang up your six-shooters, kick off them boots and tell me your tallest tale of the Old West, pardn'r!

Lol! I'm tempted to write a short western. :D

Overall, though, I would thing these were points to be aware of in writing but to steer clear off.

Originally Posted by Stewart:
What's wrong with a western that's introspective, where nothing much happens but through a couple of interactions and mullings of the past, the character comes to terms with who he is. Or who he isn't? It may not have gunfights, Mexicans shouting 'hey, Blondie', and heating beans over an open fire, but it would still be a western.

You can sure make me laugh sometimes Stew!!!:D

Unfortunately wrbenton is explaining what is normally expected by Western readers most of the time. Genre fiction, especially Western and romance, is very formulaic. I don't agree with it, but it does put food on the table for the writer.

Let me know when you write the "short western" Stewart, that would be a great read!

Unfortunately wrbenton is explaining what is normally expected by Western readers most of the time.

I know. But the thread title was 'a good western'. :D

Genre fiction, especially Western and romance, is very formulaic.

Does anyone read them anymore, with a few exceptions (thinking of McCarthy and McMurtry, as I don't know any others)? Saying that, I'm in the UK; is there still a sizable market in the US for them?

Let me know when you write the "short western" Stewart, that would be a great read!

I'll post it here. I quite fancy the notion, now just need to think of something. :D

I'll post it here. I quite fancy the notion, now just need to think of something. :D

Try listening to some audios of cowboy poets and humorists to put yourself in the "mood".. Baxter Black is a poet I've heard that is very good. I know a few modern cowboys, and they're highly educated and very intelligent, no need to write down to them

In other words, no role to play for Clint Eastwood in the movie version?

How to Write a Western

Nice friendly group here...LOL...my writing hasn't been raked over the coals like this since Grad school, but any published writer has experieinced it before, so I am no virgin.

My goal in the article was to give some suggestions to those who wish to become traditional Western fiction writers, but I can see, perhaps, there is little interest in the subject.

Nice friendly group here...LOL
We are really.
My goal in the article was to give some suggestions to those who wish to become traditional Western fiction writers, but I can see, perhaps, there is little interest in the subject.

au contraire.., is traditional western just cattle, beans, and train robberies, etc in the sense of swashbuckling?

I would be more interesting in reading "westerns" if they dealt with issues that I know modern ranching families deal with. I'd love to see more strong female characters, like my friend Vicki whose daily itenerary makes my head hurt, but her life if rich and full. There's probably always going to be a draw to the "traditional" western, but I don't see why Western writers need to confine themselves to such a tight corridor of variables.

Westerns

Most people, or so I think, read traditional westerns to relive the opening of the west. They read because they are interested in history or maybe they just enjoy a good shoot 'em up book. There are as many reasons for reading a traditional western as there are for writing them.

I'll agree, the genre is not for everyone. There has been a sharp decline in western readers and I suspect it has a lot to do with changes to our society. Then again, maybe the genre is about to die. Hard to say, but I'll keep writing them, because I enjoy writing them. For me, I write what I enjoy, regardless if it is a young adult book, war book, or non-fiction, and I have written all of those.

The thought of a modern day western, perhaps with a strong female main character is interesting. In my western books, I always have a female as a strong character, but I've never had one as the lead character. Women of the period were strong or they didn't survive. It was a rough time and once out west it became even tougher.

There has been a sharp decline in western readers and I suspect it has a lot to do with changes to our society. Then again, maybe the genre is about to die.

Perhaps the decline is not to so much with society but with society's tastes. Would you consider the point that if you are following some formula - be it romance, western, thriller - that the audience could eventually tire of the same thing? I think that's what Brokeback Mountain such a great story (and film); that it took the western template, made a change to the template (i.e. let's make them gay), and then made the story actually say something.

By the way, is the guy in the photo above you. Or just some cowboy heading back from the Y.M.C.A.?

Westerns

Nope, I'm not the guy in the photo, he was taken from a graphics program I bought for illustrating articles. I''m an old coot, as you can tell from the photo below, lol.

DSCF1522-SMALL.jpg

If Deadwood is anything to go by, the way to write a truly great western is to swear as frequently as possible. Mr Wu's dialogue in particular is a work of art.

I actually like this show. It's fun to count how many times the "F-Bomb" can be used in fifty minutes. The writing is great, the only problem is all the characters pretty much have the same way of speaking - no diologue variation.

Traditional westerns

Not all of my main characters wear "white hats".

My knife moved once and I severed his right ear in a split second. He gave a scream of deep anguish, but I knew no one in Hell Town would pay any attention to his squeals, so I leaned close to him and said, “Next cut is yer nose.”

“G . . . Good God, you’ve maimed me for life!” He spat out in fear as blood ran freely down the side of his head.

“And, that might not be fer much longer, if-un ya don’t start talkin’.” I replied as I rested the edge of my knife blade on the bridge of his nose.
“Go to hell!” He all but yelled, so my knife move downward instantly, removing his nose. His appearance was ghastly with the nose gone and once more he screamed, only this scream was different, it was the sound of man not only in pain, but of one knowing he was about to die.

“P . . . Please, don’t hurt me any more, please, I’ll talk.” He pleaded as he met my eyes and I knew, right then and there, he’d tell the truth.

Once we had Lathrop talking, the man just wouldn’t shut up. He spilled he beans and more than one surprise came from his words. People I’d never suspected were suddenly involved, but the big bug was Robert Pool. I’d been right about Pool using his railroad connections to move cattle and he had the money to make sure the job was done right too. Pool employed Lathrop to rustle cattle, drive ‘em north to the nearest town on the railroad line and then ship ‘em east. Lathrop always had a man in town on his payroll buy the cattle legal like, pay for the shipping with Pool’s money, and everything looked legitimate on paper.

Silently Beats the Drum

Nope, it's a draft from a book I am writing now titled "While Wolf Creek". Additionally, I've often used main characters that don't fit the "white hat" formula. But, most of my novels aren't traditional ones in style either and by that I mean "white hat" leads.

Back