• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How we first came to books

Tobytook

The books that we are exposed to as kids have a great effect on how we perceive writing – especially fiction – as adults; our tastes, our fancies, our little quirks. If our interest is not piqued at an early age, it’s very possible that we will never read for pleasure.

Obviously, the people who will be reading this do not fall into that category.

But what first caused them – us – to venture down The Book Road?

Two books that influenced me enormously when I was very young are Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are, and (unusual for a British kid in the 1970s) Dr Seuss' The Cat In The Hat. The former taught me about the alluring power – and dangers – of an active imagination. The latter tempered this big, scary realisation (well, I was only four!) with warm feelings of safety, order, intelligence… basic cotton wool fluffiness. Next, I have a vivid memory of The Hobbit, read to me at bedtime by my mum. I must have been five or six. The Lord Of The Rings came next – edited for violence and horror! – which must have taken her about a year to get through. After that, there’s a break of about four years where I can’t remember much in the way of books at all. Then, when I was in my first year of high school (aged 11), I had to read a book from the school library and report back on it. I chose Smith, by Leon Garfield (think Oliver Twist directed by John Woo), and that was the first book I ever read that was purely my decision to read. Luck was with me; I thoroughly enjoyed it, and enjoyed writing about it. Who knows, if I had chosen something else, would I be posting this message here today?

In addition, one other work is important to me from childhood. It is Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence. I came to it about a year after Smith, initially through the second book (which gives its name to the overall sequence). No doubt my love of Tolkien influenced my decision to track down the rest of the story – part Arthurian legend, part faerie story, part Famous Five yarn – but I’m glad it did. Apart from having a very cool title, it read like dynamite and led me to CS Lewis, Kenneth Grahame, Roald Dahl… and eventually, although I don’t read much traditional fantasy these days, to JK Rowling.

How about you? What started the avalanche?

Tobytook

goosebumps and korean easy readers, believe it or not

Yes....it's those goosebumps again. :D I was actually born in Korea, and I stayed there until I was about 4 or 5. While I lived there my parents bought me these great easy to read classics (like heidi and oliver twist) that I read when I was bored (so not watching incredibly annoying korean children's cartoons and TV shows...if you saw one you would know what I mean) And then when i was 7 I went on this Trafalgar tour with my family (goodbye, grade 2!!) to Europe, and eventually we settled in Colchester, England. There my mom took my sister and I regularly to the public library (i forget the name :confused: ) where I started my slowly but inevitable reading of yes, Goosebumps. What attracted me to those books? I have no idea. It might have been my sister (she was always finding the good stuff first, being older :rolleyes: ) but I remember that I read so many of them, in my spare time and looking forward to a new one as soon as I was done. Yes, it was the beginning of a 3 year reading frenzy of goosebumps!! And you have to note back then I hardly knew the english alphabet and too shy to say "hello" to my classmates. These books were sort of my portal into the world of english speaking and written world. I learned all the *cool* slang terms and phrases through these books and I started to communicate better with my friends, and I was a fluent english speaker in a few months! So in a way, reading my first english books not only introduced me to the joy of reading, it also got me communicating in english and let me develop social skills :p at my school, where i made a bunch of really good friends. *sigh* all this talk of england and my friends is depressing me *its the end of school tho and i should be happy....but i'm not* I have to stay HERE :( the whole summer long....its going to be a huge drag, i bet. anyways, there it is, and i'm sorry i had to pour out my life story in to one post....as i look back at it it seems a *tad* :rolleyes: long. -B

The first book I remember taking out of the public library was Pippy Longstockings, but I'm certain the most influential book on my future reading was A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. It was given to me by a favourite aunt when I was about 8 years old. It had everything - humour, time travel, fantasy. I was hooked.

During elementary school (6 - 12 years), I went through various phases where I would read only one type of book at a time - a forewarning of future obsessive behaviours, I guess ;)

I read the entire Sue Barton Nurse series (I later became a nurse), a series about baseball ('Catcher from Double A', 'Fast Man on a Pivot' were a couple of them - don't ask why), all the mythology books I could find in the school library. the Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott, Winnie the Pooh books, the Narnia series, and books on folklore.

It wasn't until highschool that I got into science fiction - primarily Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury. In highschool, I also read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books. To this day, science-fiction or fantasy is always the genre I fall back on when I can't seem to find anything else of interest.

Interesting topic Tobytook. Good to stop and think about the early influences on our reading.

ell

you know, i HATED reading as a child (in public school)

HATED IT!!

had to be forced to do it! lol
book reports were a nightmare
and why did the teacher always choose such bad books? lol

just before high school i started to enjoy it... actually picked a book up to read it!!:eek:

i think it was Judy Bloom and S.E. Hinton that first got me started.

S.E. Hinton has about 5 or 6 books that were all good (for a teenager). I read them over and over!! She wrote her books in a time when women couldn't get published at all really. so she submitted her books with only her initials "S.E." and the publisher's, assuming she was a he... published her.

anyway, now i read like a crazy nut! Luv it!!:D

loved the outsiders

hey townbear...wow! you really went all out posting so much at once ;) good for you. anyways i read the outsiders by hinton and i also thought it was a great book. haha its a bit more dignified than my firsts, Goosebumps. *i shudder now as i think back* :p -B

How we came to reading

I started reading for pleasure in the second or third grade. I picked up on the Choose Your Own Adventure series in the eighties and was hooked. Around fifth grade I read Stephen King's The Stand as my first adult book. My first exposure to Sci fi/Fantasy, was the Dragonlance Sagas in high school.

By the way, this is an excellent topic.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Completely forgot about the Dragonlance books. I must have read seven thousand of those when I was a young teenager, and they totally slipped my mind until you mentioned them. Excellent, mate. Cheers for that.

Actually, weren't some of them - the first and second trilogies, Chronicles and (was it?) Legends - pretty decent?

That was around the D&D boomtime, wasn't it? Half-elves and feuding twins, etc. How very, in the words of Veronica.

Tobytook

PS: Is your nick taken from the Matt Howarth sci-fi comic of the same name?

I started reading at a very youg age. Enid Blyton and similar books.

I seem to remember stories about a tree with magical lands at the top that use to rotate over the top of the tree.

Been reading ever since :)

Toby Took, you are exactly right about the dragonlance novels. Looking back those two trilogies are probably the only ones that are any good.

As for the nickname, it is from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson.

Mike

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
I seem to remember stories about a tree with magical lands at the top that use to rotate over the top of the tree.
That'll be The Faraway Tree series, I'd say.

Tobytook

I had completely forgotten until I read one of the posts above that mentions Enid Blyton...

There was a series of books about four young children who had adventures, beginning I think with "The Island of Adventure". I *lived* these books!!! Another one was called "Circus of Adventure" and I can't remember the others but the titles followed the same pattern.

I'll never forget the cave they lived in on the island of adventure, I can still see it in my mind's eye when I think about it.

All those Enid Blyton books were so influential - famous five, secret seven, the five find-outers, the secret island etc (quite racist when you look back now) plus all the boardin' school books. Faraway Tree was the best though...
what about Nancy Drew? Gave me a lifelong love for crime fiction...
I used to have an English teacher when I was in secondary school who encouraged me to read books - Orwell, Steinberg, Irving, lots of American fiction (aargh - The Scarlet Letter!) and books that would stretch my mind. of course at the same time , in my early teens I read hunners of crap books (jackie Collins etc), hoping for the meerest sniff of a sex scene...
never read Tolkien though - nearest I got was Alan Garner, Tolkien-lite for kids!
Spent hours in my room reading...was fab.

i remember nancy drew

...in fact, i had this phase once when i was reading the *original* books (written in the 50s, etc.) like crazy. *actually, this was last year, but then my sister persuaded me to stop being such a freak* mind you, you're not a freak if you read nancy drew, but the plotlines do get a bit predictable after a while. haha....yes....i remeber nancy drew indeed. -B

hey, and speaking of crime fiction, anyone like agatha christie?

I, too, hated reading when I was a child. I began reading when I was about 13 or 14. My mom was into historical romance and one day I borrowed one and started reading. I never stopped after that.

unfortunatly, i started out reading those fear street novels, by rl stine. i had around 50 of them. I picked one up the other day, and i was just floored by what a boring writer that guy is. its like, snore. I know litle people who read the Barenstien bears( or whatever) novels, and i still kinda like those- sorry, childhodd memories *sniff*.

Originally posted by Ell
but I'm certain the most influential book on my future reading was A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. It was given to me by a favourite aunt when I was about 8 years old. It had everything - humour, time travel, fantasy. I was hooked.

replace favourite with least favourite, and thats me :)

my first book I read was Come over to My house, a dr Seuss style boon when I was 4, it took me 1hr over to nights to read it to my mum, who helped me sound out the words.

then I moved on to hardy boy novels & the 3 investigators, when I was 9 I read my first Tom Clancy novel, the hunt for the red october, which forever hooked me on technothrillers. I then read the hobbit, and more importantly in my opinion the LoTR trilogy.

I remember how I start to read book - Topsy and Tim ( I think), then Mog cat, Mr Men. I start to read properly, it was Ronald Dahl and Enid Blyton. I am glad to read these book. If I didn't read them, I can't imagine what will happens to me!

I read loads of books as a child, inspired by my parents belief that reading as early as possible is good for a child (you know, my school wrote to my parents and told them to stop teaching me to read and write as 'they wernt doing it properly'!!)

To my shame, the books that really got me into reading were the Hardy Boys series - then later Enid Blyton, C.S. Lewis and others.

Phil

The Enid Blyton adventure series! I love that series! And I'm missing the 1st one because I loaned it to someone who didn't return it, so one of these days, I'm going to have to give amazon.uk a huge amount of $ for shipping it here, cause it isn't available stateside.

There were always books around, my whole family is crazy into books, but I remember especially Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, and Nancy Drew, those great yellow hardcovers--the library had a full set.

My parents also purchased for me a set of books that had all the classics told in a graphic novel format, so to this day there are books I'm not sure if I read or just had the condensed version.

I also blame my grandmother's Barbara Cartland collection for my current romance habit.

Back