• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How we first came to books

When I was a young bunny, I found an old suitcase full of SF books in the street. They were aged and yellow. Smelled great :) I took them home and read them all... rest is history :)

regards
SillyWabbit

OK, I admit it! It was a sweet grey haired little old lady. She was bringing a suitcase full of books to the ophens when I hit her over the head with haddock! I ran off with her books!

Regards
Sillywabbit

This is Book Discussion, no spamming!! (But i would have used a halibut, much more effective than youre average haddock)

Phil :)

SillyWabbit said:
OK, I admit it! It was a sweet grey haired little old lady. She was bringing a suitcase full of books to the ophens when I hit her over the head with haddock! I ran off with her books!

Regards
Sillywabbit

Lol.

Myself, I've always loved reading. When I was very young, there were the 'tapes with books' along with a lot of 'read it yourself books' - Billy Goats Gruff, Gingerbread Man, Rapunzel, Snow White and Rose red, Emperor's New Clothes, Rumplestiltskin, Three Little Pigs etc. There was even a story with a giant that scared me as a child.

Then we've got The Mr Men, Rohl Dahl Enid Blyton's Secret Seven, Famous five etc.

I read all sorts when younger (think I nearly exhausted the children's library by the time I was 10)- some series I can still remember include 'The Three Investigators,' 'The Hardy Boys,' Willard Price's adventure series, Terrence Dicks, Douglas Hill, Alan Garner's Weirdstone of Brisingamen, Chronicles of Narnia, and a number of others I'd be here all day listing.

Both of my parents are avid readers, so I think I just picked up the habit from them. The first book I read was the Cat in the Hat, and then I went on to read all sorts of kid books...Amelia Bedelia, etc. In third grade my mother started me reading classics, which is amazing that it didn't kill my love for reading. In fourth grade, I started reading Star Trek novels and my parents gave me Anne McCaffrey's Harperhall trilogy to read. After that, I continued to read for pleasure and read quite a bit of my dad's books in his library. Because he reads mostly sci-fi, that is what I grew up on and really did not start branching out until after college (I had no time to read in college). I read now more than ever and can't imagine not having a book to read. It is such a release and such a pleasure to immerse myself in a good book.

I've always read. My dad taught mw to read as soon as I was old enough to learn. So at nursery school I was always rifling through the shelves looking for something more interesting to read than The Big Hungry Caterpillar. I now realise that there is no better book than the The Big Hungry Caterpillar. I was a fool.

I read all the usual stuff, like Dr Seuss, when I was first starting out. But the earliest novels I can remember reading all by myself and purely for pleasure are the Narnia books and Roald Dahl. I found The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe hidden in a wardrobe. I realise now that this was a setup by my parents, but what a cool setup. Then we had an old copy of James and the Giant Peach that was left over from my brothers, and I think after that I worked my way through all the rest of the books and never really stopped reading since.

phil_t said:
Ahhh, the Big Hungry Caterpillar!!!

That rocked!!!

Especially the twist ending ;)

Phil :)

I know! I really didn't that coming at all. They don't write them like they used to.

heavydutyjudy said:
All those Enid Blyton books were so influential - famous five, secret seven, the five find-outers, the secret island etc (quite racist when you look back now) plus all the boardin' school books. Faraway Tree was the best though...
what about Nancy Drew? Gave me a lifelong love for crime fiction...
I used to have an English teacher when I was in secondary school who encouraged me to read books - Orwell, Steinberg, Irving, lots of American fiction (aargh - The Scarlet Letter!) and books that would stretch my mind. of course at the same time , in my early teens I read hunners of crap books (jackie Collins etc), hoping for the meerest sniff of a sex scene...
Spent hours in my room reading...was fab.

God i read all those types... loved em... stacks of enid blyton books in my parents attic.
I read Nancy Drew and the boy ones similar to that.. hardy boys?

hehe and jackie collins.. I think my dad nearly had a heart attack when he saw me reading those! :p

i started with Hardy Boys. oh boy! reading a book a day and rushing to the library to get a new one * nostalgic*

Archie followed suit. those double digests were awesome! (btw i still hate veronica)

Terrance Dicks, Agatha Christie , classics like "Tom Sawyer" "Three Musketeers" etc , Tintin kept my childhood busy

I've always loved reading. The first books I remember reading were Enid Blyton ones. I loved the Famous Five, The Faraway Tree, The Naughtiest Girl and the Wishing Chair books. I went through a phase of loving school stories so I read Mallory Towers, the St Clare's books and the Trebizon books too. I even tried begging my parents to send me to boarding school! Needless to say it didn't work! I also read all the Anne of Green Gables books and the Katy books. I loved being able to escape into my own world and would spend hours curled up reading. I'm still the same now and get horribly sidetracked if I sit down for even a few minutes with a book.

I was read to by my parents. Mostly Astrid Lindgreen: Happy days in Noisy Village, Pippi Longstocking and others of her wonderful stories. Elsa Beskow: Tante Grøn, Tante Brun og Tante Lilla (Aunt Green, Aunt Brown and Aunt Purple). There was a whole lot of books that my parents (and older sister) read to me.

Later when I started reading myself, one of my first books was H. Rider Haggard: King Solomon's Mines. I was in 2nd. grade, 7-8 years old. That was around the time, I also read Hector Malot The Foundling. Oh, I cried my little eyes out!!

Later Enid Blyton became one of my favorit. I think she started me on crime stories and thrillers.

Generally I think, that the fact that my parents were always reading, read to me, owned a lot of books, went to the library, that sort of thing - was conducive to my reading habbits.

Hobitten :)

hobitten said:
Later Enid Blyton became one of my favorit. I think she started me on crime stories and thrillers.

I think with me it's about the same. I read everything I could get my hands on, of ourse all the classic Astrid Lindgren childrens books (are they well known to you in the UK and US, I wonder?).
Also I remember distinctly a crime-series for kids on a danish detective (Kim) and his friends. So maybe a little Enid-Blyton Spin-Off.

After I found out that I wanted tension in my reads and went looking in the adult library (adult as opposed to kids stuff, not the XXX type ;)), I got hold (totally unprepared) of Alistar MacLeans "When Eight Bells Toll". Whoa...
Was I sold.

Which reminds me of a different thread i wanted to open all along...

we have at home a sort of enciclopedia for youngs, it has in each tome an abriged classic book like david copperfield, and stories for kids, like the hans christian anderson or esopo's fables, so when i was very young i keep reading this ones also checking the rest of the enciclopedia in case i found some interesting big words. also i spend all my money on comic books
but when i get in seventh grade (i think) i stop reading (except for the comics of course :D ).
i remember one of my older brothers friend on occasion telling us about books (this guy has the story telling gift, pretty much after he tells you an history you dont feel the need to read the book or watching the movie for yourselft) i remember him talking about kane and abel, and patriot games and how different it was from the movie, and me thinking, that sounds interesting.
so one day somebody gave me as a gift jurassic park, and really like it, specially for the fact the i didnt ended as the movie.
after jurasic park, i decided to read interview with the vampire, since the movie was cool and there was an old copy at my house.
then i saw this kane and abel novel which i had heard about before, on an airport store, and the rest is history.

I used to hate reading more than anything when I was smaller. I think it was because the books bored me... every book I was assigned in school I thought were either stupid or very boring.

Finally, I was assigned a book in the fourth grade of which I loved! I thought reading was always boring and stupid until this one; which actually piqued my interest.

I then went on to survival stories I thought were thrilling, then goosebumps... for a while I disliked reading... but then I realized it was because I keep reading these youth-level books; I hate youth-level books now.

I finally picked up an adult-level book and loved it! It didn't bore me or anything. Even today, it is still one of my most favorite series The Sam McCade Series by William C. Dietz.

I only started reading Adult-level novels about two years ago... and now reading is one of my FAVORITE hobbies.

{Sorry for the reply being so long}

I started reading at the age of three. I remember reading Mr. Men books and my oldest sister's Bobbsey Twins books (she had the whole set). I even read my sisters' Archie and Veronica digests! I've always been an avid reader, except for a few periods during my schooling when I didn't read much of anything unless I had to. Went thru a phase of nothing but those cheap romances, but thankfully, I've moved on ;) .

mr_michel said:
we have at home a sort of enciclopedia for youngs, it has in each tome an abriged classic book like david copperfield, and stories for kids, like the hans christian anderson or esopo's fables, so when i was very young i keep reading this ones also checking the rest of the enciclopedia in case i found some interesting big words. also i spend all my money on comic books
but when i get in seventh grade (i think) i stop reading (except for the comics of course :D ).
i remember one of my older brothers friend on occasion telling us about books (this guy has the story telling gift, pretty much after he tells you an history you dont feel the need to read the book or watching the movie for yourselft) i remember him talking about kane and abel, and patriot games and how different it was from the movie, and me thinking, that sounds interesting.
so one day somebody gave me as a gift jurassic park, and really like it, specially for the fact the i didnt ended as the movie.
after jurasic park, i decided to read interview with the vampire, since the movie was cool and there was an old copy at my house.
then i saw this kane and abel novel which i had heard about before, on an airport store, and the rest is history.

That's a great story :)

You never know the gift you might give somebody with something so simple as giving a book or share a story with somebody.

As a kid we always had books in the house and I remember my parents reading to me at bedtime. My fave kids books were (at the time): The Cat In The Hat, The Wind In The Willows, Mr Bump (the first book that was bought just for me!), and The Hobbit.

I think I seriously got into reading in 3rd grade. My best friend loved to read and my school would give prizes throughout the year when you reached a certain number of books. The more books you read the better the prize. It became a competition between us and I have been reading almost non-stop since. My favorite books as a child were by C.S. Lewes, Roald Dahl, and Beverly Cleary. I would read my favorite books over and over, but I would read pretty much anything. I'm the same now. I'll try just about any book that comes my way.

Back