• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

how well do you preserve your books?

piedro

how do you keep your books? are they lying about your house or do you stack them neatly?
i try to keep them orderly. but i dont use a bookmark and my books are generally creased (i sense some people sharpening the guillotine for me)
i rarely misplace a book, neither do i lend it and forget about it

Mine are all in shelves, except for the one I'm reading. I always use a bookmark (I choose them with care) and I make sure that they don't get creased. I am also not a lender, except to my father who treats books with as much care as I do. I never lend anything to my mother, because she destroys books (the binding all bent and such).

I'm almost obsessive with keeping my books in perfect condition.

Mine are kept hap-hazardly in 2 bookcases. They started in order, but when more books came in, they had to go wherever there is space.

I always use a bookmark, but it's usually whatever is close to hand (e.g. scrap of paper, train ticket, playing card).

I have one huge bookshelf where all my books go into! They are in good condition, apart from the odd stay cookie crumb and rare coffee stain lol Accidents DO happen!

:D

Regards
SillyWabbit

I practice usual care, but I'm not going to get obsessive about the occasional crease or food smear.

Originally posted by VTChEwbecca
I'm almost obsessive with keeping my books in perfect condition.

That's me, except without the word "almost"! ;) I am ridiculously careful with my books. I never bend down corners, write in them, crease them or intentionally break the spines. If I'm reading a hardback, I take the cover off to keep it pristine! I know that lots of people aren't as fussy as me, so I don't lend them out, except to my brother or mum, who both know their lives wouldn't be worth living if they didn't look after them!

I have a tall bookcase, which is completely crammed full of books. On two shelves the books are stacked normally, but on the others they are on their sides and piled up that way, purely because I am totally out of space. The rest of my books are packed up in boxes or carefully packed into a large cupboard. I'm longing for the day when I have my own place with a room full of shelves, where I can have all my books on display! :)

I have my own books on my bookshelf, all of them are crammed and few of books on the floor cos there are no room on my bookshelf. I need a huge bookshelf!!!

Thankfully my parents gave me a second bookshelf for my anniversary...but I've outgrown that one and am now using an old movie tower until I can get another bookshelf!

I am way beyond bookshelves-now I have books in stacks all over the house. I can barely get into my reading chair without knocking over a TBR pile. I keep quite good care of my books and alwlays use some form of marker, but you may see a chocolate stain now and again and I occasionally fall asleep while reading, in which case there may be a small coffee stain-that's right, I can fall asleep whilst drinking coffee

I have books absolutely everywhere!!

On shelves, on the floor, piled on tables, in the fridge .....

Phil :D

I originally had one book case, then two, then three. Then i asked for another, parents said no because your room can't support any more weight (I really have too many books.)
So the stacking began, every clear surface gradually disappeared, until I came home one day to find that my mum had sold off fifty of my hardcovers, completly at random. I wasn't best pleased.

Other than that my books are broadly speaking in good condition, a few pages are creased here and there but nothing major. try my best to be careful around them, no food or drink near them that sort of thing.

I would have flipped if my parents had sold my books! But they can't say anything because they've got books everywhere, just as I do.

Yep, selling anyone else's books without their permission is completely uncalled for. I would've flipped out.

My parents know exactly how important my books are to me and would NEVER get rid of any without my permission (which is never likely to be forthcoming! :) )

Originally posted by phil_t
I have books absolutely everywhere!!

On shelves, on the floor, piled on tables, in the fridge .....

Phil :D

books in the fridge??????????????????????????
do you fry and eat them as well?
lol .. call that living on books;)

I have books all over the place too. I need to get more bookshelves. I am trying to place them all in a database, and so there are stacks waiting to be entered. I could be doing that now, but I am enjoying reading how other people are dealing with their stacks of books too :) !

Back