• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How you choose your books?

Crystal

kickbox
How you choose the book that worth of reading? Depends on others' review? Depends on your taste? Depends on the author because you have read some his/her books? Depends on others' recommendaton?

HOWWWW? Have you been disappointed? Or has it(your way of choosing books) failed you? :rolleyes:

BESTS,
WATERCRYSTAL

MANY different ways...recommendations, authors whose books I've already read, similar author lists, the cover/back blurb...just depends on my mood really.

I've been let down every once in a while, mostly by recommendations from other people. Usually, however, the books are at least readable if not fantastic.

Lots of ways! :)

• Recommen dation from a friend
  • Recommendations from book forum
  • Reviews online that I have read
  • Another book from an author that I read and liked
  • Amazon recommendations list
  • Amazon list mania
  • Browsing book shops
  • Browsing online book shop

Regards
SillyWabbit

Even if I get a really good recommendation from someone, it all comes down to the blurb. This is what makes the online book club I'm on so dangerous, all those descriptions sound soooooooo good. Blurbs have a sort of code language, certain words are natural turnoffs. I also gravitate toward certain publishers, I much more likely to read something published by Vintage than St. Martin's Press.

If it's an author I've really enjoyed before, I'll read it despite an uninteresting blurb. Had one on my shelf for months, uninteresting blurb so I kept passing it by, read it finally and it turned out to be my favorite book by that author. I sent an email to her, and she agreed, she'd never liked the cover, and was hoping they'd re-release it with a better one. Evidently, the editor felt that setting the book in Egypt was not good for sales (don't think Elizabeth Peters was quite as popular when it came out :rolleyes: ) so they just didn't mention it, so the blurb was really vague.

once i've found a book i'm thinking of buying, i leave the store immediatley. If after an hour or so shopping i find i'm still thinking about it and i still want it, i go back and buy it. If i've forgotten about it - my subconscious was probably being seduced by outside forces and i didn't really want to read it.

ksky

kskyhappy said:
once i've found a book i'm thinking of buying, i leave the store immediatley. If after an hour or so shopping i find i'm still thinking about it and i still want it, i go back and buy it. If i've forgotten about it - my subconscious was probably being seduced by outside forces and i didn't really want to read it.

ksky

That's why I put books on my amazon wishlist...if I go back in a week or so and it still sounds interesting, then I know I want to read the book. This has saved me from some potentially bad book-buys.

It depends for me too, though lately it's been friends' recommendations more than anything else. No matter what, though, I always read the blurbs (and sometimes the last page, if I'm feeling naughty) before I go any further.

I mainly ask ifmy friends have read them and what they thought of them. Also I look at the recomendations for the book from other authors, if an author I like liked the book then it's generally good.

My methods haven't failed me yet....

As posted above by many of you, I, too, am influenced by many, many factors.
  • Recommendations from friends and you lot
  • Reviews
  • Blurbs
  • Authors I've read before
  • Similar authors
What I find rather worrying is that I'm considerably influenced by bookcovers, while they say nothing about the content. If a book has one that catches my eye, I will definitely grab it and read the blurb and all.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

tartan_skirt said:
I mainly ask ifmy friends have read them and what they thought of them. Also I look at the recomendations for the book from other authors, if an author I like liked the book then it's generally good.

My methods haven't failed me yet....

I also use the author recommendations...if an author I enjoy has enjoyed a book, I'll definitely look into seriously reading the book, and I've always enjoyed those I've chosen on an author's recommendation.

soxfan said:
I always read the blurbs (and sometimes the last page, if I'm feeling naughty) before I go any further.

Soxfan you should be tickled until you wet on your neighbor.

No particular reason.

You're just first on my list.

Nothing personal.

RaVeN

watercrystal said:
How you choose the book that worth of reading? Depends on others' review? Depends on your taste? Depends on the author because you have read some his/her books? Depends on others' recommendaton?

HOWWWW? Have you been disappointed? Or has it(your way of choosing books) failed you? :rolleyes:

BESTS,
WATERCRYSTAL

***How strange! :eek: I just asked this same question on another list I'm on. I hate getting slammed in the face with promos everytime I read my email lists. I wondered if anyone else felt the same way. Too much promo and I run screaming from that author. And I don't trust Amazon.com reviews either. Especially if all of the reviews are from people in the same geographic area - probably just relatives or friends all writing in. I like to get my recommendations from lists of friends or reader groups, such as this one.

Jenna

Back