• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Howard Zinn: A People's History of the United States

SFG75

This is an outstanding work, one that I've utilized countless times and enjoy re-reading a lot.

Anyone else pick this one up?

Looking at the reviews, I'm guessing this book won't be in my homeschool catalogs anytime soon. That doesn't mean we can't benefit from reading the book,just have to keep in mind the controversy over his ideas.

What would we do without youtube? I mean, seriously!.:)

Zinn on the Ludlow Massacre

abec-I love to use him and Paul Johnson in regards to having kids make a comparison and contrast paper. Johnson is to the right what Zinn is to the left. Both are heavy hitters in the world of history writing and I'd love to see them debate.

I read Howard Zinn's book, A People's History of the United States. I liked it. If you liked it, you might also like Lies My Teacher Told Me.

I just ordered a movie documentary about Howard Zinn, but I forget the title.

I read Howard Zinn's book, A People's History of the United States. I liked it. If you liked it, you might also like Lies My Teacher Told Me.

I just ordered a movie documentary about Howard Zinn, but I forget the title.

Are you SFG's twin brother?

I've read it, I think it's great, I'd recommend it, I've bought it for a few local libraries.

Which edition did you read? I have two versions, first edition and the latest edition with Zinn's take on more recent events.

I've read it, I think it's great, I'd recommend it, I've bought it for a few local libraries.

Which edition did you read? I have two versions, first edition and the latest edition with Zinn's take on more recent events.

I've read both editions, and enjoyed them quite a bit. The Gilded Age has been covered quite extensively, it's rare to find a progressive historian who takes on colonial America. The only other historian who did a decent job of that era in regards to criticism was Charles Beard with his An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution. A must read.

I've read snippets, he has an enjoyable style. Always have meant to read an entire book of his but never got around to it.

I read this monster tome some years ago. It makes for a great eye-opening, and mouth-opening, read. Though Zinn, in the edition I read, treats the story about Miss Polly Baker as fact. Benjamin Franklin admitted that he wrote it as a hoax. Some of Zinn's descriptions of working conditions in the 19th century still keep me up at night. Yeeesh. Definitely worth a read and, once you're done, you can whack crooks with it and bring them to their knees. Who need guns when you have this whopper? :D

Back