• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Howard Zinn

I read A People's History of the United States in college, good stuff. There is documentary out about him I watched last year on IFC or The Sundance Channel, it was very good. Fans of his should definitely check it out.

Even in the late 1990s, my high school history curriculum was so traditional that when I finally discovered Zinn's book I said, "Omigod, I have to unlearn everything."

A People's History of the United States was my textbook for my high school history class. Quite interesting, and good at debunking the myths that "normal" history texts put out.

literati_one said:
A People's History of the United States was my textbook for my high school history class. Quite interesting, and good at debunking the myths that "normal" history texts put out.

You must have had a teacher who was the darling of the administration-that selection would never fly where I live. I have always thought it would make for an interesting college history course to assign Zinn's A People's book along with Paul Johnson's A History of the American People. Talk about complete opposites!. Oh the class discussions that would occur!.:) ;) :D

Johnson's book:
0060930349.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Howard Zinn? Charles Beard?? At least I've heard of Paul Johnson - isn't he the British writer and commentator who's generally considered to be several miles to the right of Mussolini, and was affectionately known to Private Eye magazine as Paul 'Loonybins' Johnson?

Shade said:
Howard Zinn? Charles Beard?? At least I've heard of Paul Johnson - isn't he the British writer and commentator who's generally considered to be several miles to the right of Mussolini, and was affectionately known to Private Eye magazine as Paul 'Loonybins' Johnson?

Beard was the man. He was the guy that wrote An Economic Interpretation of the U.S. Constitution or something along those lines. He's generally credited with being THE foremost marxist oriented history researcher. His works on the great depression are not to be missed.

LOL-Yes, Mussolini is a communist in his eyes perhaps. :D He also wrote an interesting book about Jewish history as well.

You must have had a teacher who was the darling of the administration-that selection would never fly where I live.

Actually, it was a private school, so the teachers didn't have to worry about what those higher up thought of their classes. :p

Back