• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hype Monkeys & Ignorant Readers

bob5000

Hello. An ignorant position? Because I realise that if it is loved by the masses than I generally won't love it? Because I realise that my taste is slightly off-centre? Because I was stating something that's been true for all of my adult life?

I didn't 'categorically deny anything that other people like' at all! I simply stated that in my opinion (and that's the only one I adhere to day in and day out) most times, the product (films and/or books) doesn't live up to the hype.

Geenh said:
I thought The DaVinci Code was crap! I was disappointed as everyone was constantly crowing on about how utterly fantastic the book was. I read it for my book club meeting and about 50% hated it and were pissed off that we could have been so easily led.

As I was just saying to someone, if the majority love it, I'll most likely think it sucks.

Same here Geenh! I took up the book just because people were going ga-ga about it. I read it and was utterly disappointed! Somehow, I can never put a book down without finishing it, so managed to finish it! I should have known better that I wouldnt like a book if people love it. Learnt a lesson -- the hard way :)

sanyuja - it's a crappy lesson to learn!

The Life of Pi was good and THAT got lots of hype.

well Geenh, as I said, I didn't mean any offense and I understood what you meant, it just came across a bit categorically. you know like there's a lot of anti-hype monkeys, who just deny anything that is hyped out of principle and they even end up thinking they're amazingly smart doing that. but things are hyped up for different reasons and different tastest, so I was just basically saying you can't truly say this is crap just because 90% of the population likes it. after all, you'd never know WHY those 90% like it, right?

but if it has been your experience that you almost always didn't like the majority's choice, then that's ok. as long as you still give the one or the other hype a chance. no hard feelings, ey? :)

Back