• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I am looking for this book I read in high school english

Chasing_Strange

I don't remember the name or the author (of course, cause otherwise I wouldn't need help, right? lol) but I remember the story.

It's about an african american woman who was kind of an outcast in her town because she was light skinned. She ends up marrying an older rich man, who abuses her (I think). He dies and she eventually escapes the town to seek her own freedom. She ends up in another small town (that I think is in Florida or Louisiana) and falls in love with a younger man, in this town she is also singled out because of her light skin. Anyways, there is a flood and her boyfriend gets bitten by a mad dog trying to save her. They don't realize the dog had rabies and that now the boyfriend is sick with rabies until it's too late. The man snaps and attacks her while they are waiting on a doctor to bring the rabies vaccine to town. She shoots him in self-defense, then ends up heading back to her hometown in the end. It was messed up. The doctor got there right after he had died, if I remember right.

That's all I've got.

It was a good book. We read it in my 11th grade english class. I think I remember it having a long title.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Maybe Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston?
(It was also a TV movie starring Halle Berry and produced by Oprah Winfrey.)

Maybe Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston?
(It was also a TV movie starring Halle Berry and produced by Oprah Winfrey.)
I'll second that. I had to read that for summer reading before I started 9th grade.
wikipedia said:
The main character, an African American woman in her early forties named Janie Crawford, tells the story of her life and journey via an extended flashback to her best friend, Pheoby, so that Pheoby can tell Janie's story to the nosy community on her behalf . Her life has three major periods corresponding to her marriages to three very different men.

That's it! Thank you very much. I couldn't remember the name for anything.

She marries 3 different times? Boy did I forget some things.... :whistling:

Back