• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I don't get it..

hay82

I was trying to find something interesting on TV the other day. I didn't succeed and insted caught about five minutes of a show on MTV (can they call it Music TV?) called pimp up you ride, or something like that. Beside the fact that the program was completly stupid, I began wondering how it could be a good thing to be a pimp. I mean, did I miss something? Acording to my dictionary it's someone who finds customers for prostitutes.

And a question somewhat realted to this. Does anyone actually talk that fizzle-language, or whatever its called?

Pimp out your ride means to add things to it to make it unique and ostentatious!

And yes. It is very stupid program.

SillyWabbit said:
Pimp out your ride means to add things to it to make it unique and ostentatious.
I probably wasn't quite clear. I got the meaning but I don't understand this use of the word pimp. I'm my mind that's not a good thing.

Why would it be a bad thing to be a pimp (apart from that it's probably illegal in most countries)?

hay82 said:
I probably wasn't quite clear. I got the meaning but I don't understand this use of the word pimp. I'm my mind that's not a good thing.

OK, sorry, I misunderstood you :)

I'm not totally sure why the usage of the word pimp in that context. I can only guess that it's like any other word in a given language in that it can be used for more than one meaning... beyond that. I don't know :)

Hmm.. Perhaps its just me who sees it as a bad thing to be a pimp. I mostly associate it with a person who takes advantage of women in bad situations.

Yeah, I was thinking about this, too, the other day. The word 'pimp' doesn't have the same connotations as it had, say, 20 years ago. The same things counts for the word 'bitch'.

'Pimp', I think, has transformed from 'someone who finds customers for prostitutes' into a word meaning something like 'player', 'ladies man', etc. Somehow, it became cool to be a socalled pimp. When you're a pimp, you have tons of women (or 'bitches' - more on that later), expensive jewelry ('bling'), huge houses ('cribs') and luxurious cars ('wheels' or 'rides') with the socalled 21 inch 'rims'.

'Bitch', however, turned the other way; it's connotations have shifted from deeply insulting to the downright funny. I've caught myself a couple of times calling (male) friends 'bitch' and chuckling over it. The meaning in that context would be something like 'wuss', 'wimp', etc.

Both these shifts in meaning are mainly caused by 'Gangsta Rap'. Just check out the average Snoop Dogg-video.

I'm not even gonna get started on the fashizzle dizzle, wizzle?

Cheerizzle

Martin said:
'Bitch', however, turned the other way; it's connotations have shifted from deeply insulting to the downright funny. I've caught myself a couple of times calling (male) friends 'bitch' and chuckling over it. The meaning in that context would be something like 'wuss', 'wimp', etc.
:D Have to say I call my roommate a bitch quite often, but he doesn't seem to mind.

As for Snoop Dog... He should be removed from this planet and go back to whatever hell he spawned from.

Wolhay said:
Do you think that all pimps with female clients takes advantage of women?
Probably not, I can't really say. But I would assume that it is the vast majority who does.

ahem, if I may say something? Back before most of you were born, we used to call cars such as Cadillacs that had a lot of special bodywork and groovy hubcaps, fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, hot pink fake fur lining the underside of the roof, etc. "pimpmobiles", a derogarory term for cars that looked as if they were owned by a pimp. I believe the term "pimp up your ride" means to decorate it in an extravagant way. I wouldn't be caught dead in one of these cars, by the way. :p

Wolhay said:
Do you think that all pimps with female clients takes advantage of women?

pimps don't have female clients. the girls have clients called jons. the pimps are more like managers and the girls are staff. now i am sure not all of these arrangements are wretched, but what could a prostitute possibly need a manager for, other than to take a cut of profit that the pimp did nothing to generate? it can't be a very symbiotic relationship.

do ya fizzle my jizzle, dizzle?

oh, those were the days! If anyone has seen "Starsky and Hutch" (the TV series, not the crappy movie) remember Huggy Bear? Fur coat, purple hat with feather, pinstripe zoot suit, two-tone shoes, etc. Now all we get is guys with their pants hanging around their knees to show their dirty underwear. Absolutely no style anymore. :rolleyes:

jenngorham said:
pimps don't have female clients. the girls have clients called jons. the pimps are more like managers and the girls are staff. now i am sure not all of these arrangements are wretched, but what could a prostitute possibly need a manager for, other than to take a cut of profit that the pimp did nothing to generate? it can't be a very symbiotic relationship.
I think that pimps can be compared to agents/manager who have clients who deals with irregular work. Part of the work description for the pimp supposedly is to generate work for his/her client.

Careful y'all, your age is showing.

"Pimp My Ride" is the name of the show. They find somebody with the biggest piece 'o crap car you can imagine and the really deck it out with high tech, high dollar stuff. They usually try to find some kid who actually does do something good for the surrounding community too. They don't just pick a kid who's a drug dealer or thug.

It's the car version of "Extreme Makeover".

What I would love to see if how many of these cars that are now "famous" make it more than a few months before they either get stolen or vandalized?
I mean, you can spot the cars that are done from the moon, and most have well over $5000.00 worth of stereo and electronics in them.

Back