• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just arrived

Robinson Crusoe

Good to meet all of you. This is my first posting to introduce myself. I am essentially a single subject book collector and ephemera collector related to Robinson Crusoe. My holdings are 300 volumes and 200 items of ephemera. I am presently writing a new full length Crusoe novel. I belong to 2 book clubs, one of which is part of the nationwide "Lifetime Learners" program which discusses a different book each week. We average 25 attendees per sesssion. I have been retired from a 'Fortune 500' corporation for 12 years. In the 60's I was an engineer in the space program. My wife & I were antique dealers for a few years. I will anxiously look forward to learning about all of you and having many postings directed to Southwestern Ct. ---Robinson Crusoe---

Thank you for the welcome; you are the first, so a double thank you; thank you. Where does one scoop up the little ditty at the bottom of the posting?

Welcome to the Boards, Robinson Crusoe. You'll find us a friendly bunch of booklovers!

What are you reading just now? You know, except 'Robinson Crusoe'...

Cheers, Martin :D

I am having fun already. I am reading some non- fiction; "There is a Spiritual Solution", Wayne Dyer; "The Way of a Ship", Derek Lundy and Steven Ambrose's latest book.

Just curious, but do you have to get permission from anybody to publish a new Robinson Crusoe novel? If not actual laws, are there courtesies observed? I read the book many times as a kid, and I always found it inspiring. I would love to read what you have when you are ready to share / publish.

On the topic: When/if you feel up to it, Robinson, you could put some of your writings on these Boards right here, share it with us. I, for one, (and Wolf) would love to read it, and I'm sure there are many more.

Anway, your call!

Wolf, there is no copyright protection applicable; it is in the public domain. Thus, the thousands of editions. Mr Defoe has long ago left this world. An interesting thing would be to trace his heirs. Now, about my situation; I can't release portions of the book otherwise I can lose my protection. Is it only possible to reply to the whole thread rather than a single posting

Well, if you want to address someone personally, you can do either of two things.

- You can just post a reply in the thread at hand, and mention the name of the person you're addressing. Everyone will be able to read this, and react to this.

Or...

- You can send that particular person a Private Message. Only that person will be able to read that.

I hope this answers your question. If not, let me know!

By the way, to bad you'll not be able to post some excerpts from your book, but I understand what you're saying, with protection and all. Still, to bad!

How long does it take for copyright ownership to expire, 100 years or something?? Doesnt it get passed down to the family estate in any case??

Just curious, copyright law is not something im well versed in :D

Phil

I think copywrite used to be 17 years but was change recently to be much longer ; like " ' til death do us part'. I used to know this cold but at age 77, I'm foggy; I will research it and come back to you with the "Gospel'

-------------------
Count that day lost whose low descending sun views from thy hand no worthy action done [Goethe]

US copyright is so many years after the author's death, currently 70.

Pre-1978 it was for so many years with renewal periods. If you didn't renew, too bad for you. From what I understand, this is why "It's a Wonderful Life" became such a Christmas fixture - someone forgot to renew the copyright.

Originally posted by Ashlea
From what I understand, this is why "It's a Wonderful Life" became such a Christmas fixture - someone forgot to renew the copyright. [/B]

Too bad for him/her, but luckily for the rest of the world.;)

OK, I had to look up ephemera. For all of you who were wondering also: "Printed matter of passing interest". I guess you could rephrase it "All things Robinson Crusoe"! (Great website title don't ya think?). Anyway, I have never read R.C., but I will be getting it as part of my Easton Press 100 greatest books. Now, I wish it would come soon! I don't have a say in the matter though. I may have to sneak a cheap copy to get a headstart :)

--Tim

Tim , great that you are becoming interested in Robinson Crusoe! Anything that I can answer, just buzz me. The book series is just beautiful. Do you collect other leather bindings? I buy single used copies of Easton Press just to reuse the bindings. My Crusoe collection now has 300 volumes. I am curious about you age group, in that you hadn't read Crusoe in school.

Tim & others, I am trying to promote the usage of the word 'ephemera'. Actually, there is an ephemera society that has shows that sell all matter of ephemera. To collectors of all sorts of collectibles, ephemera has a broader meaning" All things surrounding a given item". The emphasis on 'temporary' is less important in describing ephemera.---Walter---
P.S. ...how about " tangential items"?

Back