• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished reading 'Bag of Bones' by Stephen King. I didnt like the writing style and I felt that the book could have been half the size. Never felt that I was reading a horror book.

How come so few people who post to this thread bother to review or describe the books they've read? It would be really nice and enhance the site a lot if more people participated in in-depth discussions about book content.

What do you think?

I tend to view this thread as a place where people can just say what they've read and add a sentence or two if they want to. If they want to go into more detail then they can write a proper review for the library. That's my take on it, anyway.

I just finished Song of Susannah by Stephen King. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of my favourite Dark Tower books. I wasn't sure about
bringing King into the story - I can't decide whether it's a clever device or King is just being very conceited!
:D It certainly ended on one hell of a cliffhanger though.

Halo,

Yeah, I agree that that's what this thread is for. I just don't understand why people who've read a book don't build another thread to discuss. It's something I'm constantly looking for, but so few choose to share their thoughts beyond whether they liked a book or not.

Not saying to do so in this thread, but anywhere else . . .

121 Days of Urban Sodom

Hey all,

Noticed a few of you have read Life of Pi, it's good, prefer The curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time, but Oryx and Crake is fantastic, reminds me of Aldous Huxley Brave New World. Just brought ten more books from a charity shop, another Aldous Huxley, Chrome Yellow, Lucky by Alice Seobold, Cry the Beloved Country and another Atwood, which I can't remember the name of because I haven't started reading it yet. Atwood is good, but still fairly prescriptive, follows the rules. The female writer I do rate is Jeanette Winterson, Witten on the Body has to be her best, although the powerbook follows close behind, not sure she really had that spark with Lighthousekeeping, I did enjoy it, but it was though her experiementation became a parody of itself. I mean she seemed to find a new way then keep it so it no longer became a new way.

Anyway, the book I've just read is 121 Days of Urban Sodom. It is wow, something completely different, a memoir of child sexual abuses marries an analyses of de Sade which marries a story of life, love, everything and the author Jacqueline phillips has produced something totally different, totally disturbing, challenging, thought provoking and compelling. It's the authors first novel, if it is a novel, it sounds pretty real, and I think we should be expecting some genius out of this author. This is totally experimental, it reads so smoothly and yet she flits from 1st person to second to third to streams of consciousness, sometimes it feels as though she's writing down thoughts as they are coming out of her head. The prose is amazing again it flits from descriptive to academic to this angry monologue, but at it's most colourful it is practically poetic. There is too much to pick out favourites, but, I like quotes like; "May is a deliciously schizophrenic month..."
I seriously recommend it, tip it to be a best seller pretty soon.

novella said:
Yeah, I agree that that's what this thread is for. I just don't understand why people who've read a book don't build another thread to discuss. It's something I'm constantly looking for, but so few choose to share their thoughts beyond whether they liked a book or not.

Not saying to do so in this thread, but anywhere else . . .

Oh, right, I get you. Erm, I couldn't say why people don't. Maybe they feel that spending time analysing or discussing the book in depth would be too much like school. Maybe they would rather get straight onto reading their next book. Maybe they don't have enough time to devote to it. Who knows?

I have noticed that some people do post discussions about certain books, but of course the number of replies also depends on whether anyone else here has read the book. (Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious there.) A bestseller or something by a "popular" author may stand a better chance than something obscure.

Halo said:
I have noticed that some people do post discussions about certain books, but of course the number of replies also depends on whether anyone else here has read the book. .

Maybe obvious, but so true. I often wish my reading overlapped with other people's a little more.

Not sure, you complain about ppl not reviewing books but when they do make sarcastic comments about sales pitches, how about you tell us what you are reading instead or if you disagree with my review tell us what you think.

Jaystm said:
Not sure, you complain about ppl not reviewing books but when they do make sarcastic comments about sales pitches, how about you tell us what you are reading instead or if you disagree with my review tell us what you think.

Hey bud, look up all my previous posts if you're so curious. :rolleyes:

I looked up the first hundred of your posts, found everything from terrorism to gardening, nothing more than five lines and very little on books, let alone a book review, which is cool, discussion should be whatever each wants to give and take from it, just don't dis me for reviewing a book. I'd be interested to see if your review of it would be better, it's a difficult one to review, not your usual straight forward Pat Cornwell, don't get me wrong, I like Patricia Cornwell, she is good at what she does which is describing those details of post mortem and crime, nonetheless her prescription and formula makes her a reviewers dream and her quality is consistently excellent, but every now and again, whether it be film, music, whatever media, something comes along which reaches beyond that. If you disagree that is fine, but make sure you have read what you are disagreeing on. I like to hear different opinions on books, but, don't dis me because I say nothing bad about a book. I say nothing bad about, Written on the body either, you think I'm on commision? Take J. D. Salinger Catcher in the Rye, everybody raved about it, anyway by the time I got to 30 I found a copy and read it, now there is a biggest pile of tosh written. I'm glad I didn't rave about it merely on other ppl's opinion.

Jaystm said:
Take J. D. Salinger Catcher in the Rye, everybody raved about it, anyway by the time I got to 30 I found a copy and read it, now there is a biggest pile of tosh written. I'm glad I didn't rave about it merely on other ppl's opinion.

Just for starters, you haven't been here long enough, obviously, to read my extensive views on Salinger (on at least two long threads). They are perhaps archived at this point.

I can reiterate (and I will enjoy that, if you care to be a little more specific). I have views; I like to share them; I like to discuss literature, as you find it.

novella said:
How come so few people who post to this thread bother to review or describe the books they've read? It would be really nice and enhance the site a lot if more people participated in in-depth discussions about book content.

What do you think?

I'm a member of three book forums and all three of them have threads like this. One of them has an unwritten rule that book discussion is not to take place in this thread. This thread is supposed to be where people put what they have read, or are in the process of reading, etc. They don't want to see much more than title, author and maybe a recomend or avoid statement. Discussion of books go elsewhere, in an easier to find place. I think it is a logical system, so I try to do the same here. I'm sure others do too.

novella said:
How come so few people who post to this thread bother to review or describe the books they've read?
I don't know about others, but I can certainly tell you why I don't write reviews. The primary reason is because the books I read are old (as in not new-releases) and most of the forum members have read them. It doesnt make sense to write a full fledged review about a book that people have read and forgotten. If I read a book by some unknown (or less known) Indian author and realise that not many people on the forum have read it, then I would certianly write a review.

Halo said:
Oh, right, I get you. Erm, I couldn't say why people don't. Maybe they feel that spending time analysing or discussing the book in depth would be too much like school.

My vote goes to “most people don’t know HOW to talk in-depth or analyze”.

And quite generally those that prefer, well, really poor books, either “love it!!!” or “hate it”.
And those poor books, shall we sayyyyy _The da Vinci Code_ are probably easier to point of the bad parts than the good.

I *do* have to agree with Novella, if one is not going to give even a 1 lined opinion then what is the point of having separate “currently reading” and “just finished” threads?

A post is not your bloody cell phone; you don’t have a character limit.

I just finished Galapagos by Vonnegut. Novella, for a review, click the link.

Still as amazing as it was when I first read it yearsa ago. Vonnegut truly is a master.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back