• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading 'Daughter of the Forest' by Juliet Marilllier.
I absolutly loved this book, I couldn't put it down, it was actually very melancholy I think, but still definitely worth reading!

Rhapsody said:
I just finished reading 'Daughter of the Forest' by Juliet Marilllier.
I absolutly loved this book, I couldn't put it down, it was actually very melancholy I think, but still definitely worth reading!

I liked it too. I had to rush over to the library to get the next two in the series.

Just finished Rollo May's book on creativity. This is an older book that he wrote in the mid '70s. A psychologist by training, the book is just May's musings as to what creativity is and how he's observed it in others. This book was a good read and definitely helped me to see my fine arts friends in a new light.:D

abecedarian said:
I liked it too. I had to rush over to the library to get the next two in the series.

I'll definitely be reading the other two.
One thing I noticed about Daughter of the Forest was that it seems to be a remake of 'The Six Swans' by the Brothers Grimm, which may be one of the reason why I like it so much, because that was always one of my favorite of their fairytales.

Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just finished Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Loved it, loved it, loved it! I thought it was a very smart and funny book. Sad to see it end.

Also saw the film and thought it was rubbish!

Rhapsody said:
I'll definitely be reading the other two.
One thing I noticed about Daughter of the Forest was that it seems to be a remake of 'The Six Swans' by the Brothers Grimm, which may be one of the reason why I like it so much, because that was always one of my favorite of their fairytales.
You will definitely like the other two books in the Sevenwaters trilogy. It saddens me greatly in the end, but I won't spoil for you why. Were you shocked by the rape scene as I was while reading it? Oh, and I loved the Six Swans fairy tale as well which I will admit was the great attraction for the first book.

I finished reading I Will Repay by the Baroness Orczy just now. Something of a sappy romance at times and the fact that Sir Percy was dictated to a secondary role was something of a disappointment, but it was a good read nonetheless.

The Portrait by Iain Pears and found it very enjoyable because, to me, it has depth and substance and unpredictability. It was refreshing to read a different style of writing that was at the same time interesting.

Sunday's Silence by Gina Barkhordar Nahai, and this was an interesting enough read for me that I did finish it, and unlike some folks, I tend not to read a book all the way through if I'm not enjoying it to some degree. Perhaps because I was reading this at the same time as The Portrait, I'm not sure, but this was more of a quick superficial read which is ok when one is more in the mood for that. I did find myself skimming pages on occasion because I felt it moved too slowly in parts, and it almost seemed that the author was sometimes trying to impress the reader with her creative writing ability and this detracted from the story - in my opinion.

Nancy

i've just finished reading "In the beginning" by Catherine Dunne, an irishwoman who writes of a woman having to start her life again after her husband leaves her and their three children. it offers a positive message for people having to face up such a situation. Interesting to read.

I finished A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly on Saturday. I liked it! It's basically a fictional story based on a real life drowning of a girl named Grace brown in the early 1900's. The main character always picked a word of the day, which was used to set the tone for each chapter. Nifty.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Never read any of his books before, but have heard quite a bit about him. To be honest, I found it a bit too convoluted towards the end. I kinda started skimming, and it's the kind of book that if you start skimming, it's very hard to keep track of what is happening. :rolleyes:

ELDEST! I loved it, it was light and fluffy reading but quite entertaining

plus it had elves! oh and dragons which are always cool

can't wait for the next one:p

Handling Sin by Michael Malone. Actually, I didn't finish it, I stopped reading the book on page 192. I just couldn't go any further. Too much small talk that I could not stand and kept wishing for the book to get on with the plot. Mmany people though liked the book though and maybe it was just my impatience. :)

Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick. I loved it - one of the best of his I've read (haven't read that many though).

I have FINALLY finished the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. All eleven books and waiting patiently to see if a 12th one comes out soon:D

Just finished The Rottweiler by Ruth Rendell.This woman is incapable of poor writing, and I enjoyed this one, although it wasn't one of her best. I suspect that she wrote it while she was doing something else with the other half of her brain.

Trying (again) to finish The Virgin in the Rose Bower, by Joyce Carol Oates.

To quote Oskar Schell, "What the?" Oates has managed to hold me captive with everything else she's written, no matter how dark (and she can be pretty damned dark), but the why of it simply eludes me when it comes to TVITRB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back