• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I *miss* Calvin and Hobbes

direstraits said:
Sigh...

"Hobbes: That sounds like a lot of work.
Calvin: It's not work if nobody asks you to do it."

I terribly miss Bill Watterson.

ds
I never heard of them until a friend let me borrow the book he had of them, they were pretty funny, the kid has a great imagination ;)

I've had 3 C&H t-shirts for about 10-15 years it seems. They are all getting so thin in places, and a few have worn through completely in places that I'm starting to not wear them just so I can keep them a little longer. Does anybody know a place that sells C&H t-shirts that don't include Calvin pissing on something?

I don't think Watterson ever officially liscenced t-shirts.

If I knew of any, my shelves would be full of 'em.

Though I would like a good picture of Calvin peeing. That would be hilarious.

Calvin and Hobbes is the all-time best comic strip ever. The Far Side is the second best, but it's still amazing. I miss Calvin and Hobbes like no other. I can't wait until that collection thing comes, out! I'll be the first one there buying it.

You're right Motokid, Watterson never licensed any merchandise. I think his battles with the syndicates over this and the Sunday strips (which he succeeded in making into extraordinary works of art) are detailed in the 10th anniversary book, or possibly the Lazy Sundays book.

Let's not get too sad either: it's better that he stopped while he was still ahead. The books and strips will always be there. I do wonder though, what he's been doing for the last ten years, and whether we will ever see anything else by him.

Got to give him lots of respect for not selling out. Lots of kudos to him also for knowing when to stop. He could have kept going and making himself more money, and yet he stopped when he felt he has said all he wanted to say.

b7zxq9.gif

Great stuff :)

Shade said:
...(which he succeeded in making into extraordinary works of art)
This is one reason why I think he is the best cartoonist for me. He does these spreads of actual art for his Sunday strips and they are beautiful! The dinosaurs he draws, wow!

Remember the strip where Calvin and Suzie were playing doctor, Watterson drew them as actual adults. When these two supposedly professional adult doctors started to bicker about some small thing, before reverting to the cartoon Calvin and Suzie, I was laughing like hell.

Unlike Scott Adams (whom I love, also, but he's no Watterson), he can actually draw, and draw well.

ds

I almost bought it the other day. I saw it for less than $100 at BJ Wholesale Club. I had to resist, but it was soo hard.

ooh, I'd love to have that collection! I have a couple of books but would love to have the complete set.

I don't know. It must be hard to come up with such genius every day or even once a week. If the quality had gone down over the years, we'd have been disappointed and that would have eroded the entire series.

I read that Slate article in the link and I can't believe "Boondocks" is ranked up there with C&H. "Boondocks" used to be on the comics page of my city's paper and I was appalled at the language and the perpetually angry faces of the kids in it. It finally got eliminated from the newspaper after a reader vote. In contrast, C&H was never mean-spirited and reminded us of our childish innocence. I think "Doonesbury" should have been retired in the '90s. It's seldom funny anymore and is too politically slanted. If nothing else, it belongs on the editorial page and not on the comics page.

I agree that Doonesbury isn't funny, even though I think the political slant is fine and tend to agree with it. Anything is permissible including angry faces in a comic, but it has to be funny: Doonesbury isn't. In the UK it's run in The Guardian, the leading left-inclined quality paper. When they recently redesigned the paper, Doonesbury got the chop, until lots of fans complained and sadly it was reinstated. Sigh.

I tend to think of Calvin and Hobbes as primarily subversive and clever, playing with the form and so on, rather than reminding us of childhood innocence. I suppose we each see what we want to see.

I agree that beneath the innocence there's always a message for adults who can figure it out. It's the subtlety that's appealing, I think.

I just adored the very last Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. I think it really captured what they were all about. I also admire Watterson for never capitalising on his characters in terms of merchandise. I get mad whenever I see one of those Calvin peeing stickers on the back of cars. That's not what it's all about at all. :mad:

my brother got me the collection for christmas!:D I've been having such a great winter vacation! What with C&H, the complete 1st season of LOST and a great big stack of books by my side! ahhh i dont wanna go back to school!!! :p

the collection is beautiful, mostly black and white but the color parts are beautiful. good quality paper, three thick and heavy beautiful books. get it! some places sell them cheaper than others. find the best bargain you can and get it!!

Back