• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

i need some help with writing

huxley

i'm a person that realy want to learn how to write ,i'm french and in school i did not learn much of the kind of writing i wanted ,i need help on being descriptive,imagry. i would like to find a list of emotions, that would help me with some sort stories i would like to be able to write,

it's not the grammar part i need help with,it's stuff like ,what are all the ways a character can speak(he said. john replied, jack shouted. julie answered.)stuff like that and much much more , i would like to be able to write stories but need alot of help before i can get there.

so if theres is web sites for education on what i talked about please list them thanks, i'm more in the beginner level. :)

I think the best thing would be to read a lot of short stories and see what kind of language they use. When you come across things you haven't seen before, write them down, so you don't forget them. In my experience, which is quite limited, the best way to learn to write (after you know the basics) is to read.

huxley said:
what are all the ways a character can speak(he said. john replied, jack shouted. julie answered.)

In all seriousness, should you need to use such tags it's best to stick with said; the only time you would want to use another is if the context the words could be taken in are ambiguous and you need to use exclaimed/cried/called/screamed/whispred/murmured/etc.

if theres is web sites for education on what i talked about please list them thanks, i'm more in the beginner level. :)

I would just use Google, on phrases such as creative writing, to find any help I can.

what i probably need is basic English courses ,grammer lessons. i need to relearn basic english rules. because it did not stick in my head in my school years. like i said before i when to french school, does anybody know web site dedicated to grammer lessons, english lessons(nous,verbs,adverbs,adjectives,)thanks:)

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves is also available as a printed book.

Also, Strunk and White's The Elements of Style will answer a lot of usage and style questions.

I agree with the previous poster - the best way I have found to learn to write is to read a lot, and write a LOT.

Don't worry too much about getting something perfect at first. Just tell your story. Then let it sit for a few weeks, or even months, and revisit it. You will know, if you have read a lot, what works, and what doesn't.

If your self image is strong enough, and you can take some honest critique, you could post some of your writing on a site like this one and get some honest, constructive feedback.

Good luck!

Back